close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

Dirt Jumping beginner

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Dirt Jumping beginner
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Oct 22, 2021 at 14:21 Quote
Hello, I recently bought a dirt jumping bike. I am new to the sport and I don't know what to do. Can someone please tell me what to do first, what to learn and how to get into dirt jumping?

Posted: Oct 22, 2021 at 17:20 Quote
Lenokrencial wrote:
Hello, I recently bought a dirt jumping bike. I am new to the sport and I don't know what to do. Can someone please tell me what to do first, what to learn and how to get into dirt jumping?
find some dirt jumps and start small then work your way up

Posted: Oct 22, 2021 at 23:12 Quote
find your local BMX or pump track, great spots for learning the basics before you tackle some dirt jumps The people there will also be more inviting as DJ'ers can sometimes understandably be a bit territorial "no dig no ride"

Posted: Oct 23, 2021 at 4:29 Quote
nojzilla wrote:
find your local BMX or pump track, great spots for learning the basics before you tackle some dirt jumps The people there will also be more inviting as DJ'ers can sometimes understandably be a bit territorial "no dig no ride"
Ok but do I need to learn any techniques for jumping or I just go to the pumptrack and the more I ride the better I will jump? I mean I have been tryng to jump the double at my local pumptrack and I am quite frustrated now, because I still can't get like I dont know how to clear the double, not to mention steeper tabletops

Posted: Oct 23, 2021 at 4:42 Quote
Practice pumping faster an faster until keeping the wheels on the ground becomes harder then start to manual, then manual pumps an then work up to jumps. It's hard to describe but, its like standing up on a swing set Smile
Watch other riders an get tips from them. A BMX track will usually have a club an maybe some coaching. Most of all, have fun! Mess about that's when you learn the most!

Posted: Oct 24, 2021 at 13:47 Quote
outdoor Skatepark is good if you have one. Great way to learn about speed and get used to different transitions or wedges.

Posted: Oct 25, 2021 at 9:31 Quote
What is best front suspension fork stifness for dj? Smooth, stiff or medium?

Posted: Oct 25, 2021 at 12:00 Quote
Should I get a full face as a beginner for additional safety? Or a normal helmet is enoughh??

Posted: Nov 3, 2021 at 8:11 Quote
Lenokrencial wrote:
What is best front suspension fork stifness for dj? Smooth, stiff or medium?

I started riding dirt jump bike a couple of months ago so I'm not expert but how i understood that in pumptrack stiff is better. And stiff works also for me in skateparks.

Lenokrencial wrote:
Should I get a full face as a beginner for additional safety? Or a normal helmet is enoughh??

Of course full face helmet is for better protection. I use normal MTB helmet but on the other hand I can't even jump on pumptrack yet.
I think in big dirt jumps full face helmet is required.

Posted: Nov 6, 2021 at 22:55 Quote
full face!! they have gotten so light. especially if your pushing the limits.

full face and some pads, you usually get back up and try again after things go sideways.

Posted: Nov 8, 2021 at 13:56 Quote
I have a Troy Lee Stage I picked up after watching a good rider lose his front tire off the pump track and into the looseness on the side. His bars turned 90 degrees and he used his cheek bone to stop himself on the front of an asphalt roller. He was just wearing a skate lid and was very much concussed.

It is super light and well vented. Downhill rated but I think I would like a bit more for true downhill/park stuff. I have some padded liners that have really helped lessen fall impact as well. Kneepads too.

Posted: Nov 27, 2021 at 4:53 Quote
Learning how to bunny hop properly and taking some MTB lessons at a local bike park really helps.

They will start you off on pump track and have you jumping in no time.

Highland Mountain bike park in NH has some great instructors and different levels of jump lines. Worth the money for the quick advancement IMO.

My nephew took a two hour lesson and was jumping in one class.

Have fun: it’s addictive

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005142
Mobile Version of Website