Ibis Ripmo AF - am I making the right choice?

PB Forum :: 29ers
Ibis Ripmo AF - am I making the right choice?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Oct 23, 2021 at 17:34 Quote
Hey guys!

So I am planning to upgrade my 130mm travel Canyon Neuron to something with more travel. I've outgrown the bike and with the kind of riding I do out here in the Bay Area, I'd like a longer travel bike.

Fast forward, I have the option to pickup an Ibis Ripmo AF NGX build. Full DVO kit (not coil shock tho), GX deralieur, etc. MSRP is 3700, w/ stupid cali tax the total is like 4k. I love everything I've heard about the ripmo, though I have some slight concerns about weight which is around 35 pounds vs my neuron which is around 32 pounds.

But that aside, I'm, trying to figure out if there are better value options out there for me in the 3-4k price range. Maybe a YT Capra but those are hard to come by right now. I want to stick to metal frame. I think Ibis is my best option here, but I wanted to get a better feel from the PB community. Thanks!

Posted: Oct 23, 2021 at 20:25 Quote
The Ripmo is great and pedals very well in my experience. If you're worried about weight you can certainly decrease the weight by quite a bit, you'll either just have to spend more money or make sacrifices. Or if you don't feel like either is an option then you can just do inexpensive upgrades such as grips, rotors, saddle etc. and just accept it won't be as light as your other bike.

Posted: Oct 25, 2021 at 7:06 Quote
If your weight concern is about the uphill, then it won’t be a problem. The bike is sporty as hell. My friends with capras complain about pedaling their bike.

Posted: Oct 26, 2021 at 20:16 Quote
It’s a great bike. Pedals very well. The only time I notice the weight is when I have to load it on a rack or truck.

Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 9:38 Quote
I’m in the Marin area and ride with a few people on ripmo AF’s and they have absolutely no problems in the pedaling department and for that matter no problems in the decending either. It’s great bike. You’ll be stoked. I owned a capra. There is very little in the bay area that will reward you for having that bike. It’s sluggish and overkill here. Just for reference. I’ve taken it to everything from Pacifica to UC, everything in Marin up to Bellingham and Issaquah. It did not reward me the way other bikes with less travel and better pedaling ability did and do

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.005348
Mobile Version of Website