Upgrading hubs on Roval control 29 wheels

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Upgrading hubs on Roval control 29 wheels
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Oct 24, 2021 at 9:02 Quote
I’m getting my Epic Evo expert this week. The carbon Roval Control wheels come with a DT Swiss 350 hub that doesn’t have enough engagement in my book . It has a 10 degree engagement which blows for technical climbing. You can “upgrade” the engagement to 7 degrees with a 54t ratchet kit for a $100. That still seems like it’d be too sloppy for me. I’d like a light hub with engagement at no less than 4 or 5 degrees. My trek remedy has around three and it’s great. Not sure I want an i9 hub because of the noise. I also had a bad experience with an i9 failure on my old mojo a few years back. Any suggestions on what hub might work with the Roval wheels would be appreciated. Thanks.

Posted: Oct 24, 2021 at 22:38 Quote
I was researching something similar roughly a year ago and kept coming back to the i9 Hydra hubs. They are pretty light for a high engagement hub (not near as heavy as Chris King or Onyx). Also the new Hydra hubs are significantly quieter than the old i9 Torch hubs I've used in the past. Or if you're happy with the hubs on your Trek then just stick with what works for you and buy another set.

Posted: Oct 25, 2021 at 5:14 Quote
I decided to try the 54t ratchet upgrade and see if that is exceptable. Only $120. If that doesn’t work, I’ll try the hydras or the bontrager hubs. Not sure what they weigh, trying to keep it light as that’s why I got the epic evo. Thanks!

Posted: Oct 25, 2021 at 9:48 Quote
I upgraded the 350s on my Roval carbons to the 54t ratchet previous wheel set rolled on Kings and sound aside, I can’t tell the diff from seat of the pants.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006929
Mobile Version of Website