Shimano BLm8100 lever works on BL M985 caliper?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Shimano BLm8100 lever works on BL M985 caliper?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Oct 25, 2021 at 8:34 Quote
Hello all, quick question for those that have mixed and matched brakes in the past,

I have an older set of XTR m988 levers with m985 calipers. Calipers are still fine, but I have replaced the piston in the levers several times over the years now, and they're finally starting to show signs of failing. Leaking a little oil from lever, wavering bite point, lever goes to the bar first squeeze, but then builds pressure after a couple of squeezes, etc.

Anyways, I don't want to buy an entirely new set of brakes, when my calipers and hoses are fine. The question is...

Will XT M8100 levers work properly with my M985 Calipers and stock BH 90 hoses?? I have some decent leads with good prices on New levers for the 8100.

thanks for your help friends.

Posted: Oct 25, 2021 at 21:10 Quote
Should be fine, the lever feel might be slightly different but other than that I can't see why it would be problematic.

Posted: Oct 25, 2021 at 22:01 Quote
+1 I've replaced calipers only on a set of Shimano brakes, if there is any slight difference in feel or function, I didn't notice.

With what you're planning the thing to be aware of is different i-spec EV mounting if it's relevant to your cockpit set up.

Also the new M8100 bar clamp is more inboard and have an extra contact point on the lever body. This can interfere with placement of older band mounted shifters, especially the types that have gear indicators.

Posted: Oct 26, 2021 at 7:16 Quote
Alrighty then, I guess I am getting myself new levers for Christmas. Thanks guys

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.005138
Mobile Version of Website