Would you change this tire?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Would you change this tire?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Oct 25, 2021 at 16:04 Quote
This could be a stupid question for a lot of people but my friends and I keep arguing about this.
My friend will change tires as soon as he visually sees any type of wear.
I on the other hand will ride a tire until I clearly notice big grip issues.

So here is what a new Maxxis Aggressor looks like:

Now here is what mine looks like after only 500miles:

Yes I see that the threads on the sides are pretty beat but is that a good reason to change it??
I say no, my friends say yes..

What do you experts say?

Posted: Oct 25, 2021 at 16:55 Quote
Personally, I would replace it.
The cornering knobs are the most important to me, so I would not have faith in that tire in a corner.
If you want something that will last longer, corner knob wise, try the new Specialized Eliminator T-7 compound.
Mine is wearing very well & can't complain about traction. Less money than Maxxis also.

Posted: Oct 25, 2021 at 23:41 Quote
I would replace it but save it for a spare.

Posted: Oct 26, 2021 at 8:05 Quote
Replace, but save that one for summer/hardpack

Posted: Oct 26, 2021 at 8:09 Quote
Rolleyes that has more tred on it than most gravel bike tyres from new.. literally nothing wrong with it. keep going until the center is almost flat. wtf the replies here lol Eek

Posted: Oct 26, 2021 at 9:16 Quote
you guys are wild- all the side knobs are still there, still got plenty of time left. also your method of riding tires until you notice they're not gripping as much is for sure the way to go

Posted: Oct 26, 2021 at 14:16 Quote
Thank you guys for your feedbacks. It's pretty much the same debate I have with my friends.

I would typically keep it until I lose side knobs or when all the grooves (I heard people call it sipping?) on top and side knobs are gone.

I only recently noticed bad pedaling traction when riding on a sand section I almost never go to. I live in Southern California, it's almost always dry. I'll probably keep it while longer.

Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 5:38 Quote
I prefer my rear tire that way. It just looks broken in to me.

Posted: Oct 28, 2021 at 15:41 Quote
Its fine!!! People that would replace it (including your friend) have a mindset that money ain't a thing. Even if money weren't concerned, the hassle of replacing it isn't worth the "extra" traction of a new tire. The tire is fine, ride it till its clearly unsafe or a noticeable loss in traction.

Posted: Oct 28, 2021 at 16:05 Quote
I run my tires until the last possible moment.

All these simps talking about carbon footprint, etc.. would put those tires in a landfill. Doesn't make any sense to me.

Posted: Oct 28, 2021 at 16:24 Quote
Run that shiz until the divots in the knobs disappear, at least.

Posted: Oct 29, 2021 at 10:46 Quote
No, I would not change the tyre at that condition, would run more and save
cost, waste, enviornment etc maybe replace and fit on another bike with
near bolding tyre grip, but certainly not waste and dispose in that condition,
nevermind the opinion of snobs and there ways.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008179
Mobile Version of Website