close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

Help make my Trance more solid

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Help make my Trance more solid
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 7:35 Quote
Hi all,

I have a Trance 2 29 which I’ve loved, but made the mistake of jumping on a friend's Hightower, and now want to get one of those due to its super solid feel.

But before I go spend $5k plus, what options are there to make my Trance feel more solid? My thought is a better wheel set, but would hate to do that and still have my Trance feel like a rubber band at times.

My Trance has a 34mm Fox fork, the HT has a 36mm Fox fork.

Thx for any tips

Posted: Oct 28, 2021 at 8:56 Quote
Wheels and a beefier fork will help some but the Trance 29 is not a stiff frame.

Posted: Oct 31, 2021 at 6:56 Quote
The foundation is what makes a bike feel how it does. Improved susp may help you bike, but if it is flexing in the wrong places in the wrong direction, it won't fix the issue.

Both carbon bikes?

Posted: Oct 31, 2021 at 19:12 Quote
gmoss wrote:
The foundation is what makes a bike feel how it does. Improved susp may help you bike, but if it is flexing in the wrong places in the wrong direction, it won't fix the issue.

Both carbon bikes?

Mine is aluminum

Friend's is a carbon frame including rear.

Posted: Oct 31, 2021 at 19:15 Quote
I went to a LBS (Fullerton Bikes) which carries SC and Giant

He said there’s nothing wrong with my bike, reassured it’s just the way it is with that bike. He leaned me more toward a newer or new carbon trance, vs an SC. but mostly because of getting a bit more for the money.

So now I need to figure out, live with some flex? Or empty the account a bit.

I’ll probably love mine until the 2022’s come out and see what Trance X models are out then, and then make a decision. The good news is i really like my bike.

Posted: Oct 31, 2021 at 19:34 Quote
Ok, that makes sense and was my experience going to carbon from alum. Something to consider, you noticed the difference in what a solid foundation soes for a bike, now consider the difference in manufacturers. Remember, that SC comes with a lifetime warranty and free bearings for life.

My name is Garrett BTW. Wink

Posted: Oct 31, 2021 at 21:00 Quote
What year Trance 29?

I have a 2019 Trance29 1 alloy - it has Giants TRX-1 carbon wheels (30mm internal width) on it which are nice and stiff, but I remember the Trance 2 had much skinnier alloy rims which a lot of reviews at the time commented on being flexy. But more recent models might have got wider rims?

If you can borrow some better wheels from someone to test it should give you a good idea how much flex is just the wheels.

I bought a carbon Reign 29a few months back to replace the Trance (wanting more travel) and did notice the more solid feel of the Fox 36 fork compared to the 34 on the Trance. Can't say I ever felt the Trance frame was flexy though.

Burlier components are generally heavier or more expensive or both, so there is that to consider if you care about weight or cost.

Posted: Oct 31, 2021 at 21:43 Quote
Apples to apples the Trance X is closer to the Hightower. If you can get a leg over that before you make a decision,,,,

Posted: Nov 1, 2021 at 4:55 Quote
Hey guys, thanks for all the considerations.

I might be leaning toward a wheel set for now

Posted: Nov 1, 2021 at 5:09 Quote
I haven't ridden the Trance X but both the carbon and alloy Trance 29 are not as stiff as the newer SC trail bikes IMO. I kinda feel that way in general about Giant frames but SC frames are heavier.

However, my wife's Trance 29 Advanced (carbon frame, wheels, bars) is way stiffer than my buddy's Trance 29 3 (no carbon parts) and a lot of that is the wheels.

Posted: Nov 1, 2021 at 6:38 Quote
Whrels make a little difference. I noticed a slight difference when I went to bwtter wheels over stock, and then a slight again when I went to carbon.

I also think a part of it is susp design. When you have linkage in the rear traingle, you have more opportunity for flex vs a solid rear triangle. The newer SC frames are heavier, but I noticed this with their older frames, which I still ride.

Posted: Nov 9, 2021 at 9:16 Quote
Well, I found a fix. Dammit.

(Trying to figure out how to post a pic)

[P=http://https://share.icloud.com/photos/0WizbSYjSkWj8T6Rv1jJvgrhg#Fullerton size=m align=c][/P]

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005605
Mobile Version of Website