DH wheels - tubes or no tubes? Cushcore - or not?

PB Forum :: Downhill
DH wheels - tubes or no tubes? Cushcore - or not?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Nov 1, 2021 at 14:16 Quote
Got my first DH bike and started overthinking. First knee-jerk was to go tubeless cushcore, but now I don't know...
Should I? Magic Mary + Big Betty.
Thanks!!

Posted: Nov 1, 2021 at 15:18 Quote
Michvin wrote:
Got my first DH bike and started overthinking. First knee-jerk was to go tubeless cushcore, but now I don't know...
Should I? Magic Mary + Big Betty.
Thanks!!

I would most definitely go tubeless,
Most people can get away with just DH casing and no cush core.
However, If you weigh over 170lbs than I would strongly recommend tire inserts if you intend to do aggressive riding.
I weigh roughly 215 lbs and find that running dh casing and around 30psi works fine for more casual non-aggressive riding, but when I am riding park and want traction I run about 25-28 psi, always with tire inserts.

O+
Posted: Nov 1, 2021 at 20:20 Quote
Do what's best for you.. don't make it rocket science

O+
Posted: Nov 2, 2021 at 6:35 Quote
Crimson-Reign wrote:
I would most definitely go tubeless,
Most people can get away with just DH casing and no cush core.
However, If you weigh over 170lbs than I would strongly recommend tire inserts if you intend to do aggressive riding.
I weigh roughly 215 lbs and find that running dh casing and around 30psi works fine for more casual non-aggressive riding, but when I am riding park and want traction I run about 25-28 psi, always with tire inserts.
thanks! I'm about your weight and I will get some inserts + DH casing.

O+
Posted: Nov 2, 2021 at 6:36 Quote
shwinn8 wrote:
yeah, I heard about the KISS (keep it simple, ), but wanted to get a starting point to avoid common mistakes...

Posted: Nov 2, 2021 at 8:11 Quote
Michvin wrote:
shwinn8 wrote:
yeah, I heard about the KISS (keep it simple, ), but wanted to get a starting point to avoid common mistakes...
DH casing is usually enough with not super-low pressures - try that first, many people don't need more.
Installing tyre insert can be mega pain... Big Grin

O+
Posted: Nov 3, 2021 at 7:59 Quote
onyxss wrote:
Installing tyre insert can be mega pain... Big Grin
Oh, I am well aware of that Big Grin

O+
Posted: Nov 6, 2021 at 10:52 Quote
If you like low pressures or your a known rim destroyer cc is for you in....

O+
Posted: Nov 21, 2021 at 5:15 Quote
Last year I put 6 days on a brand new dh bike, (Scott voltage), started with stock bike park Mary's, couldn't pinch them, but did have a little bit of trouble getting them tubeless. I did then flat spot the rim still. Between the tubeless struggles and flat spot the bead of the tire was pretty stretched out I think, ripped the tire off said bead.

Replaced with wire bead maxxis shorty and a tube, couldn't get tubeless with insert to setup. Held great, felt a few rim strikes no flats. But rim was properly toast by this point. With that and a few other issues with the bike I sold it for a well loved tr500.

The tr500 came with cush core, and double down maxxis tires on some wtb i25 race rims. This bikes been bottomed out, sent into all sorts of dumb rock gardens, all of it. Rims are still true, no flats to speak of, for a dh bike I see no reason not to.

Fwiw I'm about ,200 all kitted up.

Posted: Nov 22, 2021 at 6:45 Quote
If it doesn’t get ridden a lot I would stick with tubes, topping off sealant gets old after a while. Cutting a sidewall and changing a dh tire with Cush core obviously can be a pain, especially if it’s cold and wet.

O+
Posted: Nov 22, 2021 at 9:05 Quote
I have the Magic Mary/Big Betty combo, tubeless with CushCore Pro inserts. My local park has LOTS of rim-killing chunk.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013170
Mobile Version of Website