WNC - what's riding like in winter?

PB Forum :: USA - East
WNC - what's riding like in winter?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Nov 2, 2021 at 7:01 Quote
Wife and I are moving to the Asheville, NC area later this month. Being so late in the year I'm just curious what the local trails are like in the colder months? Primarily around Pisgah, Bent Creek, Dupont, etc.

Do they stay fairly rideable through late fall-winter or are there usually issues with rain, freeze/thaw, etc? Will I need to find a gravel bike to keep the pedals turning through winter? Do some trail systems handle the season and weather better than others?

Posted: Nov 9, 2021 at 15:39 Quote
The freeze thaw was pretty bad last year but plenty of time that the trails were rideable. There is a WNC MTB trail conditions facebook group that would give you way better answers.

O+
Posted: Nov 9, 2021 at 15:57 Quote
ChallengeButter wrote:
The freeze thaw was pretty bad last year but plenty of time that the trails were rideable. There is a WNC MTB trail conditions facebook group that would give you way better answers.

Perfect, thanks for the tip!

Posted: Nov 11, 2021 at 17:24 Quote
It really depends on the weather, rain cycles. We have had some really wet winters last few years, like every week for 6+ months. The mountains trails typically don't close, so if you are willing. So far this year, weather has been good and fairly dry. Trails here in the foothills will close with rain, but depending on conditions, you will have options through winter within 2 hours of you in Asheville. I rode Bent Creek last winter on a colder wet day and it was actually a good ride. Just couldn't rip downhill like a hero dirt day, but still not sloppy can't steer type terrain.

O+
Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 11:43 Quote
You can always ride Kanuga, it never closes except for specific trails every now and then. There is also no negative stigma for riding there in bad weather.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006841
Mobile Version of Website