20" Progression bike for a little guy

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
20" Progression bike for a little guy
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 3, 2021 at 11:34 Quote
Hey PinkBike world. I tried searching, but the forum search function on here isn't the best, so apologies if I'm repeating a topic.

I have a 7-year-old, who will be 8 in April. He's been on a pedal bike since 4, so he's a decent biker.

He started riding trails this year, did a camp, and has progressed well. However, he's at a point where I genuinely feel that his bike is holding him back. It's a 20" wheel bike with rim brakes and a coil suspension fork that probably does nothing for his body weight. I'll add that he's small for his size.

I suspect he has at least one more year on a 20" bike, and I already told myself that I would drop serious cash on a bike until it's a 24 that he can ride for more than one year.

So my conundrum is what is really important for a little guy in progression?

At the very least, I know he needs disk brakes. So, are mechanical brakes sufficient or are hydro brakes a must? I'm trying not to project my preferences on him. Obviously for an adult good brakes are a no brainer. I also know that there are cost effective hydro brakes solutions out there.

Suspension is the big one. It seems if you don't go air fork, the weight to benefit gain just isn't there. Looking at mid-fat rigid fork options and wondering if they are "enough". He's not sending drops, jumps, etc. quite yet.

Obviously weight is a major factor, and the fork decision plays into that.

Shifting is also a consideration as the grip shifts never seem to work well, but that's an easy upgrade so not a deal breaker.

All of this to say, it seems for sub $500 I'd be looking at a rigid fork and mechanical disk brakes. Clearly could upgrade brakes. For sub $1,000 you move into air fork and hydro disk brakes.

Sorry, that's a lot, but curious what you all have seen from personal experience. Appreciate any insight.

O+
Posted: Nov 3, 2021 at 17:37 Quote
Go 24”. The difference is huge. Even if it’s a bit big at first. If he’s really small look at a hard tail from spawn or commencal. Or get a transition ripcord, lowest stand over 24” dually I could find when my kid was that size-Awesome bike and totally changed the game.

Posted: Nov 4, 2021 at 3:12 Quote
sitkadog wrote:
Go 24”. The difference is huge. Even if it’s a bit big at first. If he’s really small look at a hard tail from spawn or commencal. Or get a transition ripcord, lowest stand over 24” dually I could find when my kid was that size-Awesome bike and totally changed the game.

Exactly this , my 8yr old has a 24" and my 6 yr old a 20" , it's a massive jump up and makes all the difference , the 24" wheels just roll over the terrain far better than the 20".

h.

Posted: Nov 4, 2021 at 8:23 Quote
Ripcord is at the top of my 24" bike list, in looking at the standover height, I think he could pull it off. This is helpful input that could save me the pain of buying 2 more bikes in 2 years. Really appreciate it!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008634
Mobile Version of Website