New Purchase - Rocky Mountain Instinct

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
New Purchase - Rocky Mountain Instinct
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Nov 12, 2021 at 8:36 Quote
Hi, I am looking for some advice on a new bike.

The bike in question is a Rocky Mountain Instinct Carbon 30, 29er, and its on sale ~15% off

This seems like a good deal in a market of bike shortages everywhere, even though its end of season, and I'm looking for any advice on why I shouldn't buy, and pass on it.

I'm coming from a 2018 budget hardtail, that will be getting some substantial upgrades if I don't get a new bike. I also put my current bike over the tailgate in my pickup for traveling. I strap it down with rubber bungee cords.

My local trails within a 30 min drive offer everything to rocky rooty tech trails, to fast and flowing sandy/loam. Its a great mix, and I feel like this bike with its 9-drive setup can offer me all I would need.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Posted: Nov 12, 2021 at 9:15 Quote
Have you browsed the Rocky Mountain threads at all?
This might interest you: https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=232944

Good luck.

O+
Posted: Nov 12, 2021 at 10:56 Quote
Yes I did check those out quickly, seems like most everyone is quite happy with them. I know I won't go wrong, this will be a massive step up from what I am currently riding. It was mostly the timing, I want to make a quick decision since its not only in stock, and also on sale.

I should have been more specific in my question! I am still learning and doing a lot of research but hoping to get a quick opinion on the components on the bike specifically the Marzocchi z2 fork and fox dps shock.

These are components I haven't researched since I just wasn't going to spend too much on my hardtail for a season or two of riding until the backlog clears up across the globe, whenever that might be.

I am comparing to what my other local shops have in the Giant Trance, and Scott Spark/Genius bikes, this is a step up from what my budget was originally. They were all long wait times. Just looking for a quick overall thought on the build of the bike.

Thanks

FL
Posted: Nov 12, 2021 at 11:20 Quote
You can't go wrong with any bike, especially one that is on sale and in stock! Component wise, I'd ride the bike for the first year or two and focus on learning it and understanding if it's the right bike for you... From there, as you get faster, you'll want better response from the system of components, so you'll start to upgrade the fork, shock, larger rotors, more aggressive pads, etc.

O+
Posted: Nov 13, 2021 at 4:26 Quote
borlowski90 wrote:
You can't go wrong with any bike, especially one that is on sale and in stock! Component wise, I'd ride the bike for the first year or two and focus on learning it and understanding if it's the right bike for you... From there, as you get faster, you'll want better response from the system of components, so you'll start to upgrade the fork, shock, larger rotors, more aggressive pads, etc.

Thanks for the tips! That's where I'm at now with my current ride. It's budget and I really can feel the limitations of the inexpensive components and older geometry as my skill and speed increases. Downright scary at times how much speed I carry through turns and rough terrain! Thankfully the tektro disc brakes have been up to the task of stopping me lol

My kids are old enough now that I can finally get out for a few hours at a time and my skills are improving quick.

I went ahead and ordered the bike and I am pumped!

Posted: Nov 13, 2021 at 16:37 Quote
Congrats! The current generation of Marzocchi stuff is excellent quality and on a budget all of the deore stuff can't be beat either. Only thing I'd want to upgrade is going from the resin pad/rotor combo to sintered as the resin stuff has pretty sad stopping power, although I'd probably recommend trying out the MTX ceramic pads as I've been super happy with the reds.

If you're riding chunkier stuff definitely throw it in the full slack position. If you're going for an all day pedal you certainly have room to make it a bit more nimble.

O+
Posted: Nov 14, 2021 at 18:32 Quote
Congratulations! You'll love the ride. Also went from a hardtail to a 2021 Instinct this year. Set it up in the neutral position on the ride 9 and then start to play with it to find what setting you like best.

O+
Posted: Nov 15, 2021 at 9:02 Quote
To be honest, the Z2 is at a price point that I wasn't considering for my hardtail. My expected plan was to be on a waitlist for a while so I was just going to do the minimum but worthwhile upgrades (an ebay entry level air shock for example) to my hardtail to get me through, so I hadn't done any reading on it. But since making the quick decision to order I've been reading/watching everything I can on the fork, and bike, and I am stoked!

Thanks for the tips on the brakes, I'll need to ride a bit and figure out how they feel and perform. Of everything on my current bike the brakes so far have not let me down, aside from some mild contamination on the rear, which was easy to sand out and fix up.

I am in the Collingwood Ontario area and started riding in August this year in 3 Stage. I was riding there almost weekly until mid October, after that it just wasn't drying out enough to ride safely, in my beginners opinion of course. I also didn't want to leave ruts everywhere. Plus I could feel my front fork was loose, sloppy feeling, creaking slightly, so I've left the gnarly tech riding as I was losing confidence in the fork pretty quick.

Since then I've been between Dufferin forest, and Wasaga Provincial park, where there is a big network of smooth cross country ski trails that can be pretty fast. The sandy loamy base at both places dries quickly which is awesome.

I'm hoping to get a couple rides in once I get the Instinct, but that being the end of November, I'm being realistic and not expecting much help from Mother Nature on this one.

When do you dudes stop riding, when the ground freezes? What gloves are you using to keep your hands warm enough?

I'm sad the season is over, I never knew MTB riding is totally my jam and ticks off so many boxes for me. Being in the woods, exercise, excitement, the thrill, is great for my mental health. It just does so many things right for me.

O+
Posted: Nov 15, 2021 at 22:10 Quote
My wife had the old instinct and it was a great bike. You could pedal all day on it and not feel like it was holding you back and at the same time a very confident capable descended. We live in coastal bc and that bike was capable of doing everything including black diamonds on the shore. It proba ly wouldn't be my first choice for tough blacks or double blacks out here but I grew up riding in Ontario (3 stages, Durham, hardwood etc) and that bike would be absolutely killer for those trails. It is probably a bit overkill to be honest but it pedals so well, why not? It also means you have something capable if you go to Quebec or bring it out west.

In terms of parts, the suspension is fine. You get some more adjustable/refined damping with higher end stuff but in terms of durability, it will be on par. You probably won't know the difference between higher end suspension for at least another few years. The rest of the spec is quite good imo. As noted above the deore drivetrain and brakes work amazing. I have heard that if you pair a xt shifter with a deore cassette and derailleur, you can't tell the difference between that and full xt. Pads and rotors will need to be replaced down the road and can always be swapped out for something better when the current ones wear out. You guys don't have any decents long enough to really need bigger rotors or sintered pads. The dropper post is a no name job and when it dies you will probably not be able to rebuild it - not the end of the world but likely will need to be replaced in 2-3 years. The rims are nice and wide and it comes with good rubber, so that's nice. Looks like a no Brainer to me.
As for winter riding, we don't really have an end to our season unless there is a week where we get over 6" of the white stuff (maybe one week per winter). 100% brisker gloves are the best shoulder season glove. If I lived in Ontario I would get a set of pogies when it gets colder. My wife has cold hands to start with so I got her a set of wolf tooth pogies this year. Back in Ontario for winter season I used to have a pair of primaloft lobster gloves that did pretty well.

Posted: Nov 15, 2021 at 22:18 Quote
Nevermind. What he said ^^ lol

Posted: Nov 16, 2021 at 4:29 Quote
Jms83 wrote:
When do you dudes stop riding, when the ground freezes? What gloves are you using to keep your hands warm enough?

No rules, ride when you can. With all of the freeze/thaw cycles we get in Ontario, it's tough to predict what the conditions will be like until you're out there. Frozen trails can be as fast and grippy as asphalt if the stars align just right. Snow is fun until it's not, only you know how much hiking you're willing to do to score some sweet drifty corners.

O+
Posted: Nov 16, 2021 at 15:27 Quote
Thank you everyone for the input!

I figured I couldn't go wrong, even though I jumped into this decision pretty quick, so thank you again everyone.

Also turns out I got the last one!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011426
Mobile Version of Website