Finally time to upgrade from a hard tail, which bike to get?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Finally time to upgrade from a hard tail, which bike to get?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Nov 22, 2021 at 15:36 Quote
This discussion probably happens more frequently than any other, but I'm sure the answer is always different depending on the location of the rider and style of riding, etc.

I started riding an NS Bikes Eccentric Alu Evo hardtail in March of this year. It's got 27.5+ wheels, 4 piston TRP Slate brakes, and GX Drive Train. It's got a 120mm RockShox fork that I bottom out fairly often with my style of riding. This fork wasn't made for this bike or the type of riding I'm doing with it. The frame is also a size M and I'm 6' tall, so I put a 60mm riser on it to make it fit, sort of.

I live in the St.Louis, MO area, and while most of the area around me is flat, I drive a bit to get to more steeper, technical terrain when I ride. I haven't had any issues going off of the biggest drops in the area, or over 20+ft gap jumps, but it feels like my bike is at the limit of what it can do. I'm not big on pedaling XC, so I'm not going out to pedal 20 mile days on flat ground, but I will pedal to the top of descents as that's needed in my area, so that's quite a bit of what I do. There's one shuttle park within an hour and a half, and they race BME there. I'd like to try that and ride there more often with something more capable. I very much enjoy going fast down technical terrain as well as riding flow track and sending big jumps and drops, and this is the majority of the riding I'm doing. I'm 27 and like to act stupid and do stupid things on the bike. If there's something on the trail, I'm going for it. However, I do want to test the waters in the near future and try an enduro race or two, to determine if it's something I'd like to really get into.

I need a bike that will handle all of this, but I still want it to be able to climb, and play on regular trails. Pop and flick, not plow. Based on this, I believe I'm looking more at the long-travel trail bikes, or 'All-Mountain' bikes, and not necessarily an enduro bike. Maybe I'm wrong here?

Also, the 27.5 vs 29 debate is one that I'm having. I ride the 27.5+ tires currently which are basically 29's, right? I really don't want to lose the playfulness and jumping ability of 27.5's if moving to 29's will have that effect. Although, the 29's may be better for if I do get into enduro racing. A few of these models come in both 27.5 and 29.

Here's a few models that I've been come across that I think might be suited for me. My price range is in the 2.5-4k range. If I really wanted I'd spend a little more...

Transition Patrol - Mullet setup has been what I've been leaning towards, although this is the only one I've found in my price range and it's a tank. 34 lbs.

Ibis Ripmo AF - Heard good things about this bike, but the brakes that come on it are G2 R.

Trek Slash 8 - Didn't this win best trail bike? Is it capable of big jumps and entry enduro racing?

Trek Remedy 8 - Saw this at the bike shop, beautiful looking bike, can it enduro? What's it better at vs the slash?

Norco Sight A3 - Supposedly not as fun as other bikes, planted.

Specialized Stumpjumper Evo Alloy - Available to test ride

Commencal Meta TR - One of my top choices.

YT Jeffsy - One of my top choices.

Giant Trance X 2 - Maybe too heavy? I jumped my friends Trance X 3 29 XL and it felt heavy and way too big for me.

Canyon Spectral - One of my top choices.

Giant Reign - Maybe too much bike?

Thanks!

Posted: Nov 22, 2021 at 20:15 Quote
I’d avoid the trance like the plague, that’s 100% a trail bike. Info on the slash, clearly not a trail bike: https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=trek+slash+pinkbike

You should look at the slash, patrol, sight, stumpjumper and meta am (instead of tr) as your top options. The sight and stumpjumper can take cascade links to beef them up more should they not be capable enough, can fit full-size water bottles in all sizes, and the slash and stumpy have down tube storage. The remedy, spectral, jeffsy, reign and ripmo are all billed as trail bikes that happen to have beefy parts specs. The only 2 bikes out of these 5 is really consider are the jeffsy and spectral but they only fit the yt and canyon brand 20 oz bottles. The remedy should be receiving an update soon as it has been largely unchanged since 2017, so I’d avoid that as soon it will be more outdated than it already is.

Posted: Nov 22, 2021 at 20:30 Quote
TheSlayer99 wrote:
I’d avoid the trance like the plague, that’s 100% a trail bike. Info on the slash, clearly not a trail bike: https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=trek+slash+pinkbike

You should look at the slash, patrol, sight, stumpjumper and meta am (instead of tr) as your top options. The sight and stumpjumper can take cascade links to beef them up more should they not be capable enough, can fit full-size water bottles in all sizes, and the slash and stumpy have down tube storage. The remedy, spectral, jeffsy, reign and ripmo are all billed as trail bikes that happen to have beefy parts specs. The only 2 bikes out of these 5 is really consider are the jeffsy and spectral but they only fit the yt and canyon brand 20 oz bottles. The remedy should be receiving an update soon as it has been largely unchanged since 2017, so I’d avoid that as soon it will be more outdated than it already is.

Thanks for all of this! Out of those that you recommended, any which one you like the best and why? I'm thinking in my area 27.5 tires may work better than 29, I was told that 29ers are for bridging broken terrain, which we don't have much of here. 27.5 would be more playful as well. Why the AM over the TR? Will the AM be playful at all on a trail that isn't mostly downhill? I'd like to not feel like a tank riding on flat.

Interesting take on the water bottle holders and sizes, definitely wouldn't have caught that!

Posted: Nov 22, 2021 at 21:25 Quote
I’d take a stumpjumper with a cascade link. That bike has 2 degrees of head angle adjustability, down tube storage, is race ready almost right out of the box with the exception of the tires, and is mullet compatible. Playfulness isn’t primarily dictated by wheel size, it’s dictated by geometry. Wheel size just helps to emphasize or achieve certain geo numbers. Unless you’re doing flips and spins or are really short there’s no real reason let anything dictate your choice in wheel size aside from what bike you want. If you want a more playful bike start first by downsizing, then worry about suspension setup, rider ability, then lastly travel numbers. Which brings me to am vs tr, that one is in the name of the model.

Posted: Nov 23, 2021 at 6:27 Quote
TheSlayer99 wrote:
I’d take a stumpjumper with a cascade link. That bike has 2 degrees of head angle adjustability, down tube storage, is race ready almost right out of the box with the exception of the tires, and is mullet compatible. Playfulness isn’t primarily dictated by wheel size, it’s dictated by geometry. Wheel size just helps to emphasize or achieve certain geo numbers. Unless you’re doing flips and spins or are really short there’s no real reason let anything dictate your choice in wheel size aside from what bike you want. If you want a more playful bike start first by downsizing, then worry about suspension setup, rider ability, then lastly travel numbers. Which brings me to am vs tr, that one is in the name of the model.

You're referring to the Evo Comp Alloy right? I think id get on with that bike pretty well, I just noticed it's the DPX2 Performance which has 3 positions of adjustability. Looks like Code R's for brakes which is nice! The grip 2 damper would be nice on the front as well but can't get everything for 3800 bucks. Maybe I could talk with the local bike shop about swapping some components if I want.

I'd like to ride the S3 and S4 sizes back to back to see if I'd like the S3 more for the playfulness factor.

Posted: Nov 23, 2021 at 12:09 Quote
Rode the Comp Alloy and Evo Comp Alloy on my lunch break today in an S4 and both feel like they fit me very well size wise. Both are playful and poppy, the Evo Comp Alloy feeling a little bit more burly up front than the non-evo for better down-hill capability with the FOX 36.

I think if I was to choose between the two of those I'd want the Evo Comp Alloy with the nicer rear shock, more travel on the front, as well as the storage in frame. Although, I see how the non-evo is better at climbing and is lighter weight. I think it'd be more fun for the times outside of when I take the bike to chunky downhill / shuttled park.

Posted: Nov 23, 2021 at 13:59 Quote
mtingle22 wrote:
Rode the Comp Alloy and Evo Comp Alloy on my lunch break today in an S4 and both feel like they fit me very well size wise. Both are playful and poppy, the Evo Comp Alloy feeling a little bit more burly up front than the non-evo for better down-hill capability with the FOX 36.

I think if I was to choose between the two of those I'd want the Evo Comp Alloy with the nicer rear shock, more travel on the front, as well as the storage in frame. Although, I see how the non-evo is better at climbing and is lighter weight. I think it'd be more fun for the times outside of when I take the bike to chunky downhill / shuttled park.

I used to own a fuel ex and I hated to use it for anything but trail riding. It was downright terrifying sometimes in faster tech. Do yourself a favor and don’t consider trail bikes.

Posted: Nov 23, 2021 at 18:33 Quote
Take the Ripmo AF off the list. Flexible around the bottom bracket area and it’s basically a trail bike with a 160 fork.

The Enduro pedals better than the Stumpjumper. Did they have one you could try?

Posted: Dec 4, 2021 at 22:59 Quote
DHhack wrote:
Take the Ripmo AF off the list. Flexible around the bottom bracket area and it’s basically a trail bike with a 160 fork.

The Enduro pedals better than the Stumpjumper. Did they have one you could try?

Maybe it’s just because I’m a string bean but I’ve never felt any flex on my Ripmo AF. Also idk about what they’re speccing now because supply chain etc etc but mine came with code RSCs (gx build).

As with all things though, you’ll always be happiest demoing as many bikes as possible and picking the one that puts the biggest smile on your face.

Posted: Dec 5, 2021 at 1:59 Quote
Take a Look at Orbea rallon. Should tick all the boxes.

Posted: Dec 5, 2021 at 12:40 Quote
take a look at the great horned bike co's Snowy LT they have it in a couple options! im running their Snowy LT and absolutely love it!

Posted: Dec 5, 2021 at 15:04 Quote
spmarshall18 wrote:
take a look at the great horned bike co's Snowy LT they have it in a couple options! im running their Snowy LT and absolutely love it!

https://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/2419209/
Same shit different shape

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006284
Mobile Version of Website