close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

Two patrols

PB Forum :: Transition
Two patrols
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Nov 22, 2021 at 20:35 Quote
How many have two of the same bike? I have a 2022 gx patrol and have one on order, was planning on racing enduro more this year with at least 10 trips to the bike park.Thought it would be great to have a back up of the same bike for racing. I am use to having two off road dirtbike for racing, just wondering how many do this for mtb racing.

Posted: Nov 29, 2021 at 10:03 Quote
I personally don't know anybody that has two of the same bike. I know people that have a back up set of wheels, but I think it's more common to see people with 2 bikes that are different and if one breaks they make do with the second bike while waiting for a repair.

Posted: Nov 29, 2021 at 10:18 Quote
Yt46 wrote:
How many have two of the same bike? I have a 2022 gx patrol and have one on order, was planning on racing enduro more this year with at least 10 trips to the bike park.Thought it would be great to have a back up of the same bike for racing. I am use to having two off road dirtbike for racing, just wondering how many do this for mtb racing.
I'm sure it would be absolutely great to have two, race quality bikes - who wouldn't like that? I can imagine a professional rider with great sponsorship or privateer rider with deep pockets might have that option. But it's pretty simple and much less expensive just to have common parts on-hand to make a repair to a mountain bike. The chance of needing a whole new frame seems pretty unlikely and everything else that might break can be swapped out in short order by a skilled home mechanic. Not to mention that traveling with a bike is a big expense in itself. Maybe if you're only racing local circuits and can drive it'd be okay, but once you get international it would be silly expensive - just getting one bike on an airplane costs $$$.
Anyhow - two bikes doesn't make sense for most folks IMHO.

EDIT: forgot to mention that there may be rules that stipulate what can/can't be replaced during an enduro race. Some races force riders to use all the same equipment on each stage. Gotta watch that if you swap out a whole bike between stages.

Posted: Nov 29, 2021 at 14:30 Quote
I wasn't sure what most people do. I know in off road racing most have a practice and race bike. I thought that might transfer to the mountain bike world. When I talked to the sale rep at transition he was surprised I wanted two bike of the same. I will just save the money and upgrade parts as need and get spares of the bike stuff. My back up bike it a new scout I built so I should be good. Thanks for your replies.

Posted: Nov 29, 2021 at 17:43 Quote
How are you liking the patrol? I’ve been wanting one for a while and it looks like a great bike.

Posted: Nov 29, 2021 at 20:24 Quote
I really like the patrol, I had a yt capra 29er with full coil setup that I raced and did bike park laps with. I got the patrol and did one race with very limit setup and was faster than on the capra. I have since sold the capra. I really like the mullet set, patrol just does everything better than the capra.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005558
Mobile Version of Website