close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

San Quentin 24” or Kona process 24”?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
San Quentin 24” or Kona process 24”?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Nov 26, 2021 at 18:51 Quote
Been on the search for a better bike for my son. As of right now locally I’ve found a Marin San Quentin 24 at a shop, a Kona process 24” full suspension just popped up on market place, and if still available another shop a few hours away had offered a norco storm 4.1 new with upgrades. Not sure which bike to go with, whether a hard tail would be better for him to progress on? I’ve gotten him into some single track and take him to the pump track with plans to go a lot more places in the spring. He’s about to turn 9 and is 4’4”. Thanks

Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 16:20 Quote
Mccann7iw wrote:
Been on the search for a better bike for my son. As of right now locally I’ve found a Marin San Quentin 24 at a shop, a Kona process 24” full suspension just popped up on market place, and if still available another shop a few hours away had offered a norco storm 4.1 new with upgrades. Not sure which bike to go with, whether a hard tail would be better for him to progress on? I’ve gotten him into some single track and take him to the pump track with plans to go a lot more places in the spring. He’s about to turn 9 and is 4’4”. Thanks

I've started my kids on hardtails. They are generally cheaper to buy and maintain. They are also more fun at the pump track in my opinion. In fact, the hardtail may be the perfect bike for anyone to learn on since they lend themselves to so many different styles of riding; be it cross country, trials, DJ, pump track, you name it - if your child shows an interest in a particular discipline a hardtail can easily be tweaked to better suit that discipline.

Having said that my son is now 11 and is almost as tall as his mom. As a result he often likes to jump on her 2005 Santa Cruz Bullit and take it for a rip now and then.

Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 16:25 Quote
Hardtail all day unless he is already an advanced bike rider. Source= Been managing bike shops for damn near 20 years.

Posted: Dec 3, 2021 at 5:01 Quote
My son just got a Polygon D24X this fall. Its a really nicely built bike for the price. Worth a look.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.004997
Mobile Version of Website