close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

Polishing a titanium frame tips?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Polishing a titanium frame tips?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Nov 26, 2021 at 20:25 Quote
Hey guys. So I know virtually nothing about polishing metals. I stripped all paint off my titanium hardtail, and just want to give it a clear near mirror finish. I'm currently at a stage of wet sanding it down with a 1000 grid. I already tried polishing it with some polish and a polishing pad but no results. Still got that hazy look with tiny scratches.
Scratches are probably there because I'm not on high enough of a grid, so how high should I go?
And when I try to hit it with a drill attachment that I used for stripping the paint, it goes down and makes it nice and shinny.... Literally the way I want it, other than the scratches. Is it because of the heat that it produces? How do I get it to be shiny?
Thanks in advance.

Posted: Nov 27, 2021 at 11:55 Quote
You need to be working down to at least 2000 grade paper, probably then wet'n'dry, and then buff it with a buffing pad and some metal polish/buffing compound. It's pretty much what you're doing already, just finer and finer stages of polishing

Posted: Nov 27, 2021 at 17:31 Quote
The quickest way I've found is with a buffing wheel right from the start. you can use it with a hand drill , and start with a course compound and work your way up to fine. The buffing compound comes in a stick and each color is a different grit.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005513
Mobile Version of Website