Old schwinn klunker

Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Nov 27, 2021 at 13:07 Quote
Im building an old schwinn klunker and would like to see if anyone else has one for ideas. Im gonna run 27.5 in the rear and 29 in front with a Manitou Markor for, XT disc brakes and XT crank. anyone got any advice ? how about some pics ?

Posted: Nov 27, 2021 at 19:41 Quote
Wheel size: are you sure you have room for a 27.5 with a decent size tire? I know mine doesn't clear much more than a 26 x 2.25.

Fork/front wheel: It's already kinda slack, so a 29 plus a non-rigid fork may be too much of a good thing. (might be just right though)

Brakes: You'll have to weld disc tabs on the dropouts, and a gusset of some sort. Will also need a bolt-on or 10mm thru-axle rear hub.

Crank: American to Euro BB adapter, and Euro/BSA BB if your current one is press fit.

I moosed an old Easton MonkeyBar into the stem on mine. Added RaceFace lockon grips (same color) and a rear drum brake since taking that pic. Building a girder/linkage fork for it now, and will be putting a disc brake on the front.

Schwinn Cruiser repop. Added the MonkeyBars and rotten grips when I got it.

Posted: Nov 27, 2021 at 20:32 Quote
delta5 wrote:
Wheel size: are you sure you have room for a 27.5 with a decent size tire? I know mine doesn't clear much more than a 26 x 2.25.

Fork/front wheel: It's already kinda slack, so a 29 plus a non-rigid fork may be too much of a good thing. (might be just right though)

Brakes: You'll have to weld disc tabs on the dropouts, and a gusset of some sort. Will also need a bolt-on or 10mm thru-axle rear hub.

Crank: American to Euro BB adapter, and Euro/BSA BB if your current one is press fit.

I moosed an old Easton MonkeyBar into the stem on mine. Added RaceFace lockon grips (same color) and a rear drum brake since taking that pic. Building a girder/linkage fork for it now, and will be putting a disc brake on the front.

Schwinn Cruiser repop. Added the MonkeyBars and rotten grips when I got it.
Ill have to run a 2.1 on the rear 2.25 is a little too close.

Posted: Nov 28, 2021 at 6:32 Quote
slomoto wrote:
Ill have to run a 2.1 on the rear 2.25 is a little too close.

That's not bad. I prefer a wider tire, which is why I stuck with 26, but klunkers are fun no matter what!

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006156
Mobile Version of Website