Fractured Talus. Anyone done the same?!

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Fractured Talus. Anyone done the same?!
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Nov 29, 2021 at 10:44 Quote
Hello

I have recently Fractured the Talus in my right foot it’s a Hawkins type 4 fracture so the worst case scenario, I came short on a 10ft drop and landed to flat and my right foot took the brunt of the impact. I’m just wondering if anyone has gone through a similar injury and has been able to get back on the bike? The consultant is concerned about the high risk of AVN and the bone dying. This scares me as the outcome of this happening is obviously not good. He’s saying I won’t be able to ride the bike for at least a year and the thought of this is depressing me. I would just like to hear off people that have gone through a similar injury and what they’re rehabilitation process was like?

Posted: Nov 29, 2021 at 11:46 Quote
Joedon12345 wrote:
Hello

I have recently Fractured the Talus in my right foot it’s a Hawkins type 4 fracture so the worst case scenario, I came short on a 10ft drop and landed to flat and my right foot took the brunt of the impact. I’m just wondering if anyone has gone through a similar injury and has been able to get back on the bike? The consultant is concerned about the high risk of AVN and the bone dying. This scares me as the outcome of this happening is obviously not good. He’s saying I won’t be able to ride the bike for at least a year and the thought of this is depressing me. I would just like to hear off people that have gone through a similar injury and what they’re rehabilitation process was like?

That sounds awful. What about road bikes? It might not be your thing, but better than nothing at all.

Posted: Nov 29, 2021 at 14:08 Quote
Tex78 wrote:
Joedon12345 wrote:
Hello

That sounds awful. What about road bikes? It might not be your thing, but better than nothing at all.

I was hoping to be able to get on a road bike to restore my fitness but my real aim is to eventually get back on my emtb.

Posted: Dec 20, 2021 at 9:29 Quote
I went over the bars on my bike a few years ago and hyper-extended both feet. There were two separate fractures in the bone, PLUS an evulsion fracture. And thanks to good old navy medicine, the doctor only diagnosed the evulsion fracture which is basically treated like a sprain. So off I went with a bottle of motrin and an ice pack. I was in agony for a couple of weeks. It started feeling better, and I started riding again. I would still have some trouble with my foot/ankle from time to time. Months later the doc finally sent me for an MRI, and that's when they noticed there were two other fractures. The bone is quite misshaped now which is how they figure out the two additional fractures down the road. Here I am three years later...I don't have much trouble with it anymore. Prolonged standing on an uneven surface can aggravate it. Full sends on the bike though with no issues.

That type 4 fracture is much more serious than what I had though. I hope that gets better for you.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005533
Mobile Version of Website