close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

XTR RD M900 11speed wont index throughout the entire gear range

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
XTR RD M900 11speed wont index throughout the entire gear range
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Nov 29, 2021 at 15:35 Quote
Shimano XTR RD M9000 DR
Shimano XT CS-M8000 11 Speed Cassette 11-40T
KMC X11SL 11sp chain

Newer new bike (less than 300 hours). Started having issues shifting throug all 11 gears recently so reindexed. It didn't solve the problem. The chain starts rubbing the cassette at the 2nd lowest gear (rubs the next lower gear towards the wheel) and will barely shift to the lowest gear. We can use the barrel adjuster to dial those lowest gears in but then I have the same problem on the opposite end of the cassette starting at the 2nd highest gear.

Here is what we have done/checked
1) Chain specs out as new still
2) Hangar is square (used an aligner to check)
3) Replace the cable and cable housing
4) cleaned and inspected the internals of the shifter
5) Removed the cassette and inspected (cassette is tight and not worn)
6) Inspected derailleur.

Posted: Nov 29, 2021 at 16:24 Quote
Have you checked the B tension? I use SRAM, but it's similar enough to Shimano. Anytime I have shifting issues, I always start with the B tension. Then I index. And lastly I go to the barrel adjuster. The B screw on my SRAM derailleurs seems to back itself out over time, and needs to be reset periodically. Hope this helps.

Posted: Nov 29, 2021 at 16:34 Quote
Matt7082 wrote:
Have you checked the B tension? I use SRAM, but it's similar enough to Shimano. Anytime I have shifting issues, I always start with the B tension. Then I index. And lastly I go to the barrel adjuster. The B screw on my SRAM derailleurs seems to back itself out over time, and needs to be reset periodically. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the tip. Its at my LBS now so I’m sure that’s something he’s checked out. I stopped by on my way home and he’s still not sure whats going on after spending part of the day on it.

Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 13:29 Quote
Is the chain the correct way round?

Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 15:15 Quote
I’ll say just in case, try a new shifter, I had similar issues with an xtr 12 speed, tried cables, inner and outer spare cassette, borrowed a durallier took it to the lbs, changed the shifter under warranty, smooths as silk, think it’s 3 year warranty on xtr

Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 15:31 Quote
Philt32 wrote:
I’ll say just in case, try a new shifter, I had similar issues with an xtr 12 speed, tried cables, inner and outer spare cassette, borrowed a durallier took it to the lbs, changed the shifter under warranty, smooths as silk, think it’s 3 year warranty on xtr

Solid. Makes sense.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005305
Mobile Version of Website