close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

Canyon Strive Size Thread

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Canyon Strive Size Thread
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Nov 29, 2021 at 17:07 Quote
Recently I have been in the market for a new, longer travel enduro bike to replace my previous trail bike, and one of the few companies that actually appears to have their models somewhat available is Canyon, which made them easily at the top of my list. After further research, I think I'm going to go with the Strive as opposed to the Spectral. It's got more travel, shapeshifting, and is a 29er, which is huge. My only dilemma is I really don't want to mess up the size. I know Canyon has their size calculator, which tells me I should get a Large frame, but if I enter my height and inseam a little bit higher, it says XL, which tells me that if I get the Large and I continue to grow, which is very much so in the cards for me at 16, I could grow out of the large. I am 6'2 with about a 34 inch inseam, and I really don't know whether to go Large or XL, because I know Canyon bikes also run a bit big. If any owners could help me out and give some insight, that would be awesome.

Posted: Nov 29, 2021 at 17:32 Quote
The bike already has a very long top tube (662 mm on size L and 698 mm(!!) on XL) and with reasonably long legs, that slack seat tube is going to put you a long way back.

I don't ride a Strive so I can't give you first-hand experience but I'm about the same height and inseam, and I'm already a bit stretched on a bike with a 645 mm top tube and a much steeper seat tube. I'm probably a lot less flexible though.

Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 5:02 Quote
Top tube measurements are not important in mountain biking. The reach is the most important measurement and canyons are about average in that. The XL will probably be better for you but pick whichever reach number you think will work for you.

Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 15:09 Quote
TheSlayer99 wrote:
Top tube measurements are not important in mountain biking.

They are if you want to be able to sit on it comfortably while pedalling! Steep seat tubes are precisely what has made long reach frames possible.

Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 19:34 Quote
boozed wrote:
TheSlayer99 wrote:
Top tube measurements are not important in mountain biking.

They are if you want to be able to sit on it comfortably while pedalling! Steep seat tubes are precisely what has made long reach frames possible.

And both of those statements are incorrect because using road bike fitting on mountain bikes doesn’t work. The only discipline where comfortable seated pedaling is more important than downhill performance is cross country. With every other discipline, you pick a size with a reach number that fits your desired descending characteristics, then adjust cockpit setup and fore/aft adjustment on the seat to fit desired cockpit fit. Both of which heavily rely on personal preference. Additionally, long reach could’ve existed without steeper seattubes. We would have most likely seen development of offset dropper posts as a result of growing reach numbers with slack seat tube angles.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006030
Mobile Version of Website