close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

Strongest Rims

Previous Page |
Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 8:57 Quote
I keep destroying wheels. I'm running cushcore and DoubleDown Maxxis casings. 25psi. What rims do I need to get? Thank you!

Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 9:28 Quote
What rims have you broke so far?

Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 9:34 Quote
I have broke my stock diamondback blanchard rims (no cushcore, exo+ casing) and i am pretty close to cracking my DT Swiss E1900 rims (they are pretty dented).
8tom8 wrote:

Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 12:09 Quote
You could try another set of DT Swiss E-series rims and run higher pressure, or move up to a true DH rim like the FR series. But considering most of the World Cup and EWS racers on aluminum DT Swiss are running the EX Series...

Another option to consider if you have the budget is carbon. Yes, they do fail catastrophically, but they typically are stronger than aluminum up to that failure point when comparing rims designed for the same purposes, and most carry a lifetime warranty if you do manage to break them.

Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 13:03 Quote
Any good carbon recommendations?
blensen wrote:
You could try another set of DT Swiss E-series rims and run higher pressure, or move up to a true DH rim like the FR series. But considering most of the World Cup and EWS racers on aluminum DT Swiss are running the EX Series...

Another option to consider if you have the budget is carbon. Yes, they do fail catastrophically, but they typically are stronger than aluminum up to that failure point when comparing rims designed for the same purposes, and most carry a lifetime warranty if you do manage to break them.

Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 14:01 Quote
WAO Strife. Haven't tried it but the Union and Agent are super strong. I've had better luck with carbon personally.

Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 19:45 Quote
Ews and World Cup racers generally have personal mechanics and the ability to throw a new rim on whenever. That being said they still have to finish runs and place well enough to keep those new rims/wheels coming. I have no idea what kind of shape those wheels are in after a couple days of practice/racing but would imagine they are pretty thrashed.

I too was on a run of destroying wheels and started doing some research on what the pros were running. Through a ton of looking on the googles I came to the conclusion that they are running significantly higher pressures than the average rider.

I was always in the ballpark of 22/25 when I was wrecking rims. Three top tier rims in a couple months. Started running 25/29 and haven’t had any problems since. I also run cc pro with dd front and rear. I will still dip into lower pressures but only on full on loamers I know don’t have any nasty rock gardens.

I have tried carbon rims from noble, wao and ridefast and really don’t like the feeling of pinging off objects, alloy just has a level of compliance I get along with. I didn’t build the carbon wheels so I don’t know what the tension on the spokes were but they all felt the same generally.

Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 22:28 Quote
Keep on top of spoke tension,even the best rims will fail if you have uneven spoke tension

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 1:28 Quote
noakeabean wrote:
I have broke my stock diamondback blanchard rims (no cushcore, exo+ casing) and i am pretty close to cracking my DT Swiss E1900 rims (they are pretty dented).
8tom8 wrote:
DT swiss FR series (survives Rampage etc...). If you will break these too then you will have to go up with pressures.

Posted: Dec 2, 2021 at 10:54 Quote
Parsurf wrote:
Ews and World Cup racers generally have personal mechanics and the ability to throw a new rim on whenever. That being said they still have to finish runs and place well enough to keep those new rims/wheels coming. I have no idea what kind of shape those wheels are in after a couple days of practice/racing but would imagine they are pretty thrashed.

I too was on a run of destroying wheels and started doing some research on what the pros were running. Through a ton of looking on the googles I came to the conclusion that they are running significantly higher pressures than the average rider.

I was always in the ballpark of 22/25 when I was wrecking rims. Three top tier rims in a couple months. Started running 25/29 and haven’t had any problems since. I also run cc pro with dd front and rear. I will still dip into lower pressures but only on full on loamers I know don’t have any nasty rock gardens.

I have tried carbon rims from noble, wao and ridefast and really don’t like the feeling of pinging off objects, alloy just has a level of compliance I get along with. I didn’t build the carbon wheels so I don’t know what the tension on the spokes were but they all felt the same generally.

Damn good looking bike and photo!

Posted: Dec 2, 2021 at 11:21 Quote
borlowski90 wrote:
Parsurf wrote:

Damn good looking bike and photo!
Seriously! Love it so much!

Posted: Dec 2, 2021 at 13:03 Quote
dt swiss ex511s have been bullet proof in my experience and there cheap and light for a alu rim

Posted: Dec 2, 2021 at 13:04 Quote
Anyone with experience on Industry Nine Enduro 305 Alloy wheels?

Posted: Dec 2, 2021 at 14:27 Quote
I hear German made Newman rims are really good. Anyone have firsthand experience with them?

Posted: Dec 3, 2021 at 6:53 Quote
noakeabean wrote:
Anyone with experience on Industry Nine Enduro 305 Alloy wheels?

I cased a pretty good size long and low REALLY hard and split a 305 alloy, I also got a nasty snakebite and put three spokes through the rim tape. I don’t really think any rim would have held up the the impact realistically. I9 did me solid and crash replaced the 305 with a grade and I upgraded to the thicker dh spokes.

Less than a week later I dinged the grade pretty good and I didn’t even feel when it happened. Needless to say I was really tempted to sell the wheel set but ended up throwing them on my ht. The 305 front has has been a great wheel and has never went out of true or tension. On the hardtail I’m definitely not going as fast and choose a much different line then the big bikes so I have a feeling they should hold up fine there.

The Spire has i9 hydra hubs laced to 511’s with db dt 14/15 spokes and brass nipples…I have had no problems with that wheel set. I have continued to beat the crap out them and they are still true and tensioned great. I did have a fr560 with 14 gauge on the back for a minute. Despite my better and proven judgement I tried wheel smith spoke prep as opposed to the “tried and true” linseed oil. That wheel would never stay tensioned and felt like an anchor so I rebuilt it with the 511.

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008301
Mobile Version of Website