close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

Creaking cassette?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Creaking cassette?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 19:51 Quote
I have a 2021 Transition sentinel x01 build that is 4 months old and has 200-250 miles on it. My LBS installed an upgraded 54 ratchet system after two months of ownership. After the upgrade I noticed creaking while in the three lowest gears (3 largest) of the cassette while under torque. I originally thought it was the spokes creaking so I attempted tightening them. Not good since I screwed up the true of the wheel. Since my sorry attempt of tightening the spokes the creak seems to be more noticeable; especially when I hold rear brake and push on the pedal causing torque on cassette. It creaks on push of pedal then again when I release pressure from pedal. My only concern is the creak seems to stem from the cassette where I think I can feel and hear it. Just to be clear, it is not coming from bottom bracket or the chainring; both have been checked. Besides the spokes could the issue be from within the upgraded 54t ratchet hub?

Frustrating with new, awesome bike. Please anyone with advice or suggestions.

Posted: Dec 2, 2021 at 3:30 Quote
cgaches wrote:
I have a 2021 Transition sentinel x01 build that is 4 months old and has 200-250 miles on it. My LBS installed an upgraded 54 ratchet system after two months of ownership. After the upgrade I noticed creaking while in the three lowest gears (3 largest) of the cassette while under torque. I originally thought it was the spokes creaking so I attempted tightening them. Not good since I screwed up the true of the wheel. Since my sorry attempt of tightening the spokes the creak seems to be more noticeable; especially when I hold rear brake and push on the pedal causing torque on cassette. It creaks on push of pedal then again when I release pressure from pedal. My only concern is the creak seems to stem from the cassette where I think I can feel and hear it. Just to be clear, it is not coming from bottom bracket or the chainring; both have been checked. Besides the spokes could the issue be from within the upgraded 54t ratchet hub?

Frustrating with new, awesome bike. Please anyone with advice or suggestions.

I don’t know what brand cassette it is, but pull it off and grease up the contact points with your hub and driver. I use to run a ethirteen cassette that needed to be greased often or it would creak.

Posted: Dec 2, 2021 at 7:41 Quote
It is a sram x01 cassette. I had an ethirteen cassette before and had the same issue. I’ll try removing and re greasing. I only removed the cassette by hand because the dt swiss allows you to do that. But it does leave the other half in the cassette. I’ll remove other half and re grease. Thank you for advice.

Posted: Dec 3, 2021 at 23:47 Quote
I had a creak I couldn't track down for 6 months. Took everything off, greased and reinstalled to no avail. In the end when I replaced the cassette, the creak was gone. It was an xt not sram but all the same, it's possible. I never had a creaky cassette before. As for sram cassettes, I wouldnt expect them to creak as they are one piece but it's worthwhile taking it off and greasing it in any case.

Posted: Dec 6, 2021 at 5:15 Quote
So taking all of your advice, I removed my cassette, cleaned up the hub, re-greased and the creak is gone….thank you guys for your suggestions.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004526
Mobile Version of Website