close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

Race Face Diablous crank removal. What tool do I need?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Race Face Diablous crank removal. What tool do I need?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Dec 2, 2021 at 16:24 Quote
Hello everyone, I need to remove the drive side crank arm. The crankset is a Race Diablous set on a spline bottom bracket. The self extracting bolt did not come with the bike. I purchased the Park Tool crank pullers and they will not work, they are to small. I looked for a self extracting bolt and the only thing I see is for the cinch system. What tool do I need to pull this crank arm off? Thank you!

Posted: Dec 6, 2021 at 13:06 Quote
This was covered in another thread https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=68145
and there are videos to show it as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhtBv-weHUw
If you're actually missing a piece of the crankset then try and get that part so the removal functions normally. Maybe this:
RACE FACE CINCH CRANK BOLT & PULLER CAP SET (MATTE BLACK) (M18 X 15)

I believe the Diabolus crank arms are held on the same way as new RF cranksets: with the cinch bolt direct mount system - read the old thread and watch the video.

If you think maybe the cinch bolt isn't the right part for your bike then give RF a call and ask.

Or take it to the LBS and they can help.

Hope this helps a little.

Posted: Dec 7, 2021 at 3:07 Quote
BenLow2019 wrote:
This was covered in another thread https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=68145
and there are videos to show it as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhtBv-weHUw
If you're actually missing a piece of the crankset then try and get that part so the removal functions normally. Maybe this:
RACE FACE CINCH CRANK BOLT & PULLER CAP SET (MATTE BLACK) (M18 X 15)

I believe the Diabolus crank arms are held on the same way as new RF cranksets: with the cinch bolt direct mount system - read the old thread and watch the video.

If you think maybe the cinch bolt isn't the right part for your bike then give RF a call and ask.

Or take it to the LBS and they can help.

Hope this helps a little.

Thanks! I ordered one from Amazon, but it wasn't the right one. Gave Race Face a call and they said that self extracting bolt for the Diablous cranks are discontinued. They cross referenced it and gave the pt# of one that will work. Ordered one direct from them.

Posted: Dec 7, 2021 at 5:31 Quote
Nice. Let us know how it turns out.

Posted: Dec 7, 2021 at 7:19 Quote
BenLow2019 wrote:

The part# Race Face gave me was F30016. I wont know if it works or not until it's delivered. If it doesn't work, my only other option to remove the crank without damaging the crank arm or bottom bracket is to use a 3 claw gear puller.

Posted: Dec 7, 2021 at 14:03 Quote
DHJohn wrote:
BenLow2019 wrote:

The part# Race Face gave me was F30016. I wont know if it works or not until it's delivered. If it doesn't work, my only other option to remove the crank without damaging the crank arm or bottom bracket is to use a 3 claw gear puller.

If it were me and I went through all of this only to have the new RF part NOT work then I'd not worry about damaging it during removal because there's no way I'd want to deal with the headache in the future. I'd knock that sucker off of there and bin the thing. Then I'd replace it with something that's not friggin' obsolete.
My 2 cents.

Posted: Dec 14, 2021 at 12:42 Quote
Quick update! UPS damaged the self extractor Race Face sent me. Talked to Chris at Race Face, very helpful and top notch customer service. They are sending a replacement. The whole purpose of me wanting to remove the cranks is so there is clearance to remove the bottom shock bolt. I just needed to swap out to a heavier spring. Decided to just cut the bolt with my dremel and ordered a few bolts from Monster Bolts.

Posted: Dec 14, 2021 at 15:46 Quote
DHJohn wrote:
Quick update! UPS damaged the self extractor Race Face sent me. Talked to Chris at Race Face, very helpful and top notch customer service. They are sending a replacement. The whole purpose of me wanting to remove the cranks is so there is clearance to remove the bottom shock bolt. I just needed to swap out to a heavier spring. Decided to just cut the colt with my dremel and ordered a few bolts from Monster Bolts.

Good update. Can't believe your luck.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.005357
Mobile Version of Website