close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

Mullet my 27.5 or buy full 29

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Mullet my 27.5 or buy full 29
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Dec 3, 2021 at 6:02 Quote
So I currently own an sb165 and wondering if now is the time to sell or if mulleting will give most of the rollover benefits of a 29. I currently have a PUSH 11.6 on the rear and coil in the front so wo during if I mullet the bike will I be losing out on much if anything buy going to one of the new 29ers...most of the new bikes seem to have the same get or less aggressive so I certainly won't be upgrading in terms of geometry or even travel given this bike is 180 front and 165 rear, so the only gains to be had are the rollover of 29. Will mulleting give enough of the benefits of a full 29 and will it be better for someone who is 5'8? For those that have tried the sb165 or sb150 and have also tried some of the newer bikes would you say there is much to be gained by buying a new 29er or is it better to wait a few more years?

Posted: Dec 3, 2021 at 6:21 Quote
You've probably Googled your question before asking here, but if not then here's an article that may help:
https://enduro-mtb.com/en/mullet-mtb/
If it were me I think I'd mullet the bike rather than buy a whole new 29er. If I didn't like it and wanted to go full 29er then I'd just swap my new fork to a 29er frame. No loss overall.

Good luck.

Posted: Dec 3, 2021 at 6:35 Quote
I have a Smashpot invested in the fork and a fancy wheelset so my biggest loss will be buying new fork lowers in 29 and getting a new rim and wheel laced and new tyre...so will still be like a £500 experiment but as you say I can always transfer it to a 29 if I decide to sell the frame only so yea maybe that is the right way to go about it...mullet first and see how I like it.

Posted: Dec 6, 2021 at 22:16 Quote
I think the mullet would be pretty rad.

I have mulleted two bikes. One was 170/150 and the other 170/155. Both worked well. There is a 40mm difference in front end height when you add 20mm to the lowers and 20mm of wheel height. You can drop the front travel by 20mm and the geo only changes by about 20mm which slackens your STA/HTA by 1 deg each.

In your case, you could try running it 160 front and 165 rear and it would probably be pretty balanced feeling. It might be a better investment to buy a whole new 29er fork as you won't be able to sell a spare set of lowers very easily but if you end up with a spare fork (given the current used bike market) you could probably recoup 60-85% of your cost depending on if it's the newer 29er or older 27.5 fork you ultimately decide to sell.

Posted: Dec 7, 2021 at 0:28 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
So I currently own an sb165 and wondering if now is the time to sell or if mulleting will give most of the rollover benefits of a 29. I currently have a PUSH 11.6 on the rear and coil in the front so wo during if I mullet the bike will I be losing out on much if anything buy going to one of the new 29ers...most of the new bikes seem to have the same get or less aggressive so I certainly won't be upgrading in terms of geometry or even travel given this bike is 180 front and 165 rear, so the only gains to be had are the rollover of 29. Will mulleting give enough of the benefits of a full 29 and will it be better for someone who is 5'8? For those that have tried the sb165 or sb150 and have also tried some of the newer bikes would you say there is much to be gained by buying a new 29er or is it better to wait a few more years?
Best upgrade to your current already veeery good bike with dialed suspension will be upgrading your fitness and skills - guaranted lifetime of satisfaction on any wheel size. Unfortunately it doesn't cost much money but mostly time and effort... Smile

Posted: Dec 7, 2021 at 2:47 Quote
onyxss wrote:
Danzzz88 wrote:
Best upgrade to your current already veeery good bike with dialed suspension will be upgrading your fitness and skills - guaranted lifetime of satisfaction on any wheel size. Unfortunately it doesn't cost much money but mostly time and effort... Smile

That's true, but my fitness is fine, I go gym 4-5 times per week and skills are decent enough..money wise gym costs £60 per month...not including nutrition, whey etc so technically costs me more than maintaining my bike.
I just don't like dropping nearly 10k on a bike to still feel harsh jolts through the suspension, especially on stuff I don't consider that big an obstacle like a few roots. I have found plus tyres massively help to the degree I can monster truck through anything without much feedback at all but need to change my rims if I stay with plus as they are a bit too narrow and the tyres can feel vague as a result during aggressive lean angles.

Posted: Dec 7, 2021 at 4:58 Quote
A friend of mine made his sb165 into a mullet and he loves it. He wouldn't go back

Posted: Dec 7, 2021 at 5:10 Quote
I'm thinking 29 2.5 front and keep the 2.8 plus on the back that way I keep the rollover and plushness whilst not getting squirm on the front and not as drastic a geo change. The the bb could do with rasing a bit anyway as I've had more pedal strikes on this bike than any other bike I've owned even running short and narrow 165mm XTR cranks.

Posted: Dec 20, 2021 at 19:31 Quote
I’m going to be a party pooper and say go full 29er unless your going to go factory mullet. I mulleted my V2 Bronson and it climbed like crap. I’m on a Bronson MX now and it’s much much much better. But next bike will be another 29er. The mullet is fun in corners but I do miss the speed and momentum of the 29er in chunk.

Posted: Dec 21, 2021 at 0:27 Quote
Hawkinco wrote:
I’m going to be a party pooper and say go full 29er unless your going to go factory mullet. I mulleted my V2 Bronson and it climbed like crap. I’m on a Bronson MX now and it’s much much much better. But next bike will be another 29er. The mullet is fun in corners but I do miss the speed and momentum of the 29er in chunk.

Well the sb165 is officially approved by Yeti for dual crowns or mullet (both at same time even). So if I went mullet single crown to keep the same geo I would drop the fork to 160mm and have 165mm in the back. If I mullet with dual crown I would keep the same geo if I drop the dual crown down to 180mm like the stock 180mm single crown as the dual crowns give you 2cm back for a given travel length. Tbh though given all the faff with bearings and difficulty swapping them out on my Yeti and fact it's still a 27.5 bike not sure if it's better as you say to get rid and buy a new bike. Trouble is all the new bikes are so much more expensive for a lower spec and that's even if you can get hold of any. I'm selling my Yeti with PUSH 11.6, Smashpot and super light carbon wheelset, XTR and Shigura brakes and most likely will still have to pay a few grand extra towards a new bike that will come with GX and low end air shocks so just don't know if it will be cost effective to gain any performance increase over the bike I have now.

Posted: Dec 21, 2021 at 5:50 Quote
I hear ya man, $6-7k for a bike with GX and fox performance stuff now. Give the mullet swap a whurl and worst case you’ll have a new fork to start a 29er build lol

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.005755
Mobile Version of Website