close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

New Trail Wheelset or Smaller Fat Tires for Trail Use

PB Forum :: Fat Bikes
New Trail Wheelset or Smaller Fat Tires for Trail Use
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Dec 6, 2021 at 12:17 Quote
I have a 2017 RM Suzy Q -30 and have ridden it year-round for a couple of years with 3.8" fat tires. I'd like to improve the climbing of the bike and make it more trail capable. My question is does anyone know if I can safely run a 27.5x3.0 tire on the 65mm rims on the bike?

The alternative is to buy a new wheelset, which gets expensive quick. Let me know what you think - Thx.

Posted: Dec 6, 2021 at 12:33 Quote
WTB has a chart showing rim and tire compatibility and it doesn't even go up to 65mm. Looking again, the MTB 2.3 tire isn't recommended above a rim...42mm across (if I'm reading it correctly).
I might be wrong, but you can look following the link.
https://www.wtb.com/pages/tire-rim-fit-chart

I suggest getting a decent set of wheels for your new tires. Might be pricey, but if you get good wheels and take care of them they can last forever.

Good luck.

EDIT: looked at your post again and back at the chart - the 3.0 tire isn't recommended above the top the the chart. Still recommend a new wheelset.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004663
Mobile Version of Website