Steer tube replacement

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Steer tube replacement
Previous Page |
O+
Posted: Dec 8, 2021 at 9:38 Quote
I bought a fork off of Pink bike and the steer tube is to short. Doesn't make sense to replace the CMU. I see companies in europe that replace steer tubes even have carbon replacements. Is there anyone in the states that does this? I hate hear the status quo answer when there is the option to do something different and more economical.

Posted: Dec 9, 2021 at 10:09 Quote
You would think with the land mass of your country there was at least one little corner
in a workshop doing this, I only know of the ones here, europe and Australia.

You could try contact this fella for possible info

http://blueliquidlabs.com/repairs/steerer-tube-extender/#more-631

or even any of the links in this thread

https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=214873&pagenum=1#commentid6938998

You may just have to phone around and see, there might also be a liability reasons put
on service centres with regards to changing steerers, the US has different controls on this
kind of thing when compared to Europe and other parts of the planet

If you have success in someone in the USA doing this, then perhaps put an update in a thread,
as this keeps coming up with folk wanting to replace steerer.

Posted: Dec 9, 2021 at 21:10 Quote
I highly doubt it. It would be a liability nightmare in the states.

But I could be wrong

Posted: Dec 17, 2021 at 13:36 Quote
I've seen this guy doing that procedure https://www.instagram.com/angrybikemechanic/
perhaps you could ask him if he knows anyone in the US who can do it.

O+
Posted: Apr 10, 2022 at 20:39 Quote
I found a guy in New Mexico. He rocks!

Posted: Apr 11, 2022 at 8:42 Quote
"I found a guy in New Mexico. He rocks! "

So all you folk in the States that need a steerer change, head to New Mexico
and see the Guy who rocks, maybe pull into a few diners on route and pester all the
staff and customers to narrow it down a bit : )

Posted: Apr 12, 2022 at 13:39 Quote
Seriously? No mechanics in US who could swap steerer tube?!..

Posted: Apr 15, 2022 at 11:30 Quote
"Seriously? No mechanics in US who could swap steerer tube?!.. "

Guy who rocks in New Mexico ?

Posted: Apr 15, 2022 at 11:33 Quote
The one and only? ))

All other "mechanics" across the country can only install new shiny parts ?.. )

Posted: Apr 15, 2022 at 16:57 Quote
In 1972, a crack cycling unit was sent to prison accused by the cycling industry for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the bike industry, they survive as mechanics of fortune.

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire
the Guy who rocks in New Mexico

Posted: Apr 19, 2022 at 15:25 Quote
muddytreker wrote:
the Guy who rocks in New Mexico

Funny thing is the guy who rocks in NM is probably oliver m (blueliquidlabs) mentioned above.

Used to live in vancouver, BC, but moved. Vancouver is worse off for it. Yes, he--in the parlance of our times--rocks.

Posted: Apr 19, 2022 at 16:57 Quote
S4 Suspension here in Quebec,Canada offer the service too. Good service

Posted: Apr 20, 2022 at 7:42 Quote
Sometimes there's a man... I won't say a hero, 'cause, what's a hero? But sometimes, there's a man. And I'm talkin' about the Guy here. Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's the Guy who rocks, in New Mexico.

Posted: Apr 26, 2022 at 12:06 Quote
So I need a replacement steer. I have gone with just getting a new CSU because getting someone to replace my current one will be a nightmare. (Warranty doesn’t work if I press one in not by Rockshox) I have found many new Zeb’s (my current one is: Zeb Ultimate 29 170/180 44m OS) in Pinkbike buy/sell. I was wondering if I could buy any 170/180 Zeb off Pinkbike Buy/Sell and just take the CSU from it. I will resell the rest. My question simplified: can any 170/180 CSU work on my lowers? Does offset or wheel side matter?

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008063
Mobile Version of Website