New bike -- older rider - would like a little feedback on three bikes

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
New bike -- older rider - would like a little feedback on three bikes
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 14, 2021 at 5:28 Quote
A little background: I've been riding since the mid-90s, starting with a Trek 7000 AL hardtail that I still ride, and eventually moving up to a 2nd hand 2010 Trek Top Fuel 8 (which I totally restored) five years ago – it was clapped out when I got it. Before that I rode dirt bikes for many years and raced some motocross and enduro with modest success.

I've only ridden 26s my whole life and I've always biked on a low budget with second hand stuff. I've modded my TF8 over the last five years to be more trail style: 120mm Reba SL fork, Push'ed rear shock-Fox RP2, Stans Flow ZTR rims, PNW dropper post, and XT 2 pot discs with 180 rotors front/rear. I am in the top 20% for my age group in Strava on my local trails on that bike, so I'm not a slow rider. I'm not fast by any means though...

The thing is, I am pushing my current ride to it's limits on Green's Lick and Kitsuma, for example.

Now that my kids are grown I'm looking for new 29" downcountry or trail bike in the $3500 range.
I've done a ton of reading and watching reviews from all the big youtube accounts. There's so many brands and models that it's becoming a little overwhelming.

I don't want too big of a bike because at my advanced age, crashing hurts a lot more. Two of my age group friends have recently suffered severe injuries trying to act like they're 25. I'm not looking to keep up with or be one of the fast guys. I want new a bike with modern geo that can do a bit more than a 26er with 100mm of rear travel and a 69 deg HTA.

Based on my research thus far, I've narrowed it down to 3 bikes:

Trek Fuel EX7 or 8
Ibis Ripley AF
Santa Cruz Tallboy (AL)

They're all priced similarly. Given the current inventory levels and lack of demo opportunities, I figure any of those 3 will be so much of an upgrade to my current situation that minor differences in performance are something I'll never notice.

My main concern is long term reliability and parts availability. I do all my own maintenance so shop/mechanic support isn't an issue.

I'm very close to pulling the trigger, so I've come to PB I'm looking for input on these 3 bikes/brands in terms of how they will serve over the longer term, not so much their performance when brand new.

After spending a few months lurking here I get the impression that you all ride a lot of different bikes, are very skilled riders/mechanics, and have significant experience with these three brands.

I would appreciate any input on these three bikes and brands in general to help me get the most out of this purchase.

Thank you.

Posted: Dec 14, 2021 at 6:12 Quote
Imgonnarideon wrote:
A little background: I've been riding since the mid-90s, starting with a Trek 7000 AL hardtail that I still ride,
Thank you.

I just wanted to say that I too began my mountain biking on a Trek 7000 which I still maintain and ride. So fist bump to you, man.

As far as the three bikes you selected, none are bad and given that your handy with these things I doubt you'd have any issues with them in the long term. If the price is about the same and the features are close then I'd get the bike that makes you want to take it out and ride it - that bike that you can't stop thinking about. Good luck.
You've probably seen this review: https://www.bebikes.com/the-hub/tallboy-vs-ripley-trail-bike-showdown

Posted: Dec 14, 2021 at 11:31 Quote
BenLow2019 wrote:
Imgonnarideon wrote:
A little background: I've been riding since the mid-90s, starting with a Trek 7000 AL hardtail that I still ride,
Thank you.

I just wanted to say that I too began my mountain biking on a Trek 7000 which I still maintain and ride. So fist bump to you, man.

As far as the three bikes you selected, none are bad and given that your handy with these things I doubt you'd have any issues with them in the long term. If the price is about the same and the features are close then I'd get the bike that makes you want to take it out and ride it - that bike that you can't stop thinking about. Good luck.
You've probably seen this review: https://www.bebikes.com/the-hub/tallboy-vs-ripley-trail-bike-showdown

Hey what do you know! I will say that I'd heard that 'bonded frames are no good'. And yet, despite me being ~200lbs and having thrashed that bike over thousands of miles of trail, from the swamps of Louisiana to some of the the gnarliest stuff Pisgah could throw at me like Heartbreak Ridge, Black Mountain, and Kitsuma, it still rides fine and there are no cracks in the frame, just a couple of small dents from various contacts with the ground and trees over the years. Stiff, light, and well, stiff AF. It started out as a rigid fork but has been upgraded several times over the years.

I don't ride it that often nowadays, but when I do it still works great. Made in the USA and all that. It's great for tight trails and smooth flowing single track, very efficient and lightweight. in 1995 LOL.

Fist bump!

Posted: Dec 14, 2021 at 15:45 Quote
Imgonnarideon wrote:
. It started out as a rigid fork but has been upgraded several times over the years.

I don't ride it that often nowadays, but when I do it still works great. Made in the USA and all that. It's great for tight trails and smooth flowing single track, very efficient and lightweight. in 1995 LOL.

Fist bump!

Yeah, I replaced the fork for a cheap RockShox, but I still have the original fork just in case. I guess I'm a hoarder now.

Posted: Dec 14, 2021 at 17:02 Quote
I would say not the Fuel EX or Ripley for a 200lb rider if you’re doing jumps, g-outs or chunky trails frequently.

Posted: Dec 14, 2021 at 18:59 Quote
Man, we have a lot in common. Rode and raced dirt bikes too, and live in the foothills of NC, having ridden the same trails. PM me if you want to talk. I am on a 150 mm Hightower LT, coming from an 18 Tallboy.

Posted: Dec 15, 2021 at 2:21 Quote
Hi, to give a little context, I’m also an older rider, I also started mtb on a fully rigid coz at the time in the 90s it was Moto MX for speed and thrills and MTB for getting out on the hills for more XC based riding.

Over the last 10 years I’ve experimented a LOT with different bikes and have come to the following conclusion: geometry’s king and it let’s you ride terrain safely, comfortably. Suspension just lets you ride that same terrain faster.
I’m in the N+1 camp so have a few bikes but thy all have one thing in common, none of them have a head angle steeper than 64degrees, even my XC hardtail because unless you are busting trials manoeuvres like Danny Mcaskill, for the average rider a slack head angle just makes a bike more capable and composed with no noticeable downsides once you get used to it which doesn’t take that long but bear in mind that jumping off your old bike onto something with the latest progressive geometry WILL feel very different for a few rides and stack/bar height can need more tweaking to get the feel spot on.
Just look at the latest crop of trail bikes and their reviews on here and you’ll see how short travel bikes with geometry that was considered ‘progressive’ on enduro bikes a few years ago are getiing stellar reviews for their capability.

Another point to consider is tyres have the biggest impact on rolling resistance so a long travel bike with light tyres will be quicker at mile munching than a hardtail with burly rubber.

Also consider is that as bikes get more capable, trails get more extreme. I can comfortable pick my way down stuff on my current bikes that I wouldn’t dare attempt on my mach 429 from 7 years ago.

I would say don’t limit yourself with conservative geometry, find a nice bike with appropriate travel for your terrain and prepare to grin like an idiot when you realise how it’s completely changed what mountain biking means to you.

You don’t have to ride your bike to it’s limit, as I get older I find it’s nice to be a bit overbiked at times to give me more margin for error plus the latest crop of enduro bikes peddle just as well as trail bikes from a few years ago, the suspension platforms are getting so efficient.

That’s given you FA info on the three bikes you mentioned but may be of some use.Smile

Posted: Dec 15, 2021 at 8:12 Quote
I think I’d pick the Tallboy personally. I’ve ridden the older one and it was pretty fun - I think the new one is a chunk more capable as it’s longer and slacker and has a touch more suspension. It’ll still climb ok - albeit not quite as energetically as the Ibis.

I was looking at longer travel bikes than you and comparing the Ibis Ripmo / Transition Sentinel / SC Hightower etc. I just can’t like the look of the Ripley / Ripmo for some reason - it’s like the rear triangle looks too low vs the front triangle. Stupid reason not to get one!

I also think the yoke driven shock on the ibis puts more pressure on a shock than other ways of driving the shock.

I think the Trek Fuel has slightly less good / modern geometry - I ruled that one out for me.

Ultimately though any of the 3 are going to be a big step on from what you’ve got and think you’ll enjoy them. Bike stock at the moment is poor due to Covid so it might just be a case of buy what you can get your hands on!

Posted: Dec 15, 2021 at 11:07 Quote
[Quote="BenLow2019"]
Imgonnarideon wrote:
. . I guess I'm a hoarder now.

Looks up into the attic of my shed, sees original Trek CroMoly rigid fork with 1 1/8 threaded headset sitting there, as if I might ever reinstall it. It rests next to an Indy C from the wife's old Trek steel HT and a blown out Mavic Crossmax wheel.

Yep, takes one to know one! Pleased to meet you sir.

Posted: Dec 15, 2021 at 11:18 Quote
Thanks for all the input guys.

I think it may come down to simply what I can get when the $ is in my hand.

Preference, based on input here and from all my research:

Tallboy AL (d?)
Ripley AF
Fuel EX 7 or 8

I know the Trek has more travel but a lot of people don't like the 'knock block', for instance.

No matter which one I buy, upgrades will happen over time as I am a serial upgrader.

I see a Fox 36 fork with 140mm travel, possible custom shock tuning, better wheels, drivetrain upgrades, and other refinements in the future.

The main thing I like about Trek is that for instance, I can still get parts for that old TopFuel (suspension bolts/bearings). I wonder if that would be possible with 10 year old Ibis or Santa Cruz?

I know a couple of people with Hightowers and they have nothing but good things to say about their bikes and the brand in general. I rode a top of the line carbon Ripley *($10k) at shop 2 years ago and really liked it, but who wouldn't like such an elite machine? It felt lighter than my TF!

On $$ day (gettin that bonus!), I'm calling around everywhere in a 3 hour radius to try and find that Tallboy AL in XL. Then the Ripley, and if that fails, I know Trek has a couple of Fuel EXs around due to their website having a cool feature that tells you where they have certain bikes in stock.

Seems like any of them will suit me and with proper care should last a long time.

Thanks again for all the input guys, it's very valuable to me.

Posted: Dec 15, 2021 at 11:33 Quote
I have a hightower as well as the LT. It is a 17 model. I moved the 36 Fox over to it from my LT when I upgraded it. I just picked up a Facotry 34 140 for the HT because the bikes are so close in performance, weight and travel. For where you ride, I know the new Hightower only comes in carbon, but you would benefit from having a little extra travel, and the fact you are already thinking of a 36. I love having the extra travel in the mtns. Still pedals good too.

I don't think you can buy a 36 in 140 length. May can go 150 and get a 140 air chamber.

As far as parts, SC is very good at offering parts over time. Course, not likely you will need much specific. You get lifetime bearings and warranty on the frame.

I started on a 17 5010 alum in XL. Next was carbon TB. Big difference in stiffness. May be out of budget, but just wanted to post my experience.

Posted: Dec 15, 2021 at 11:53 Quote
gmoss wrote:
I have a hightower as well as the LT. It is a 17 model. I moved the 36 Fox over to it from my LT when I upgraded it. I just picked up a Facotry 34 140 for the HT because the bikes are so close in performance, weight and travel. For where you ride, I know the new Hightower only comes in carbon, but you would benefit from having a little extra travel, and the fact you are already thinking of a 36. I love having the extra travel in the mtns. Still pedals good too.

I don't think you can buy a 36 in 140 length. May can go 150 and get a 140 air chamber.

As far as parts, SC is very good at offering parts over time. Course, not likely you will need much specific. You get lifetime bearings and warranty on the frame.

I started on a 17 5010 alum in XL. Next was carbon TB. Big difference in stiffness. May be out of budget, but just wanted to post my experience.

Budget is ~ $3500 so carbon's off the table unless I go used.

I really like the look of the SC bikes and the way reviewers describe the Tallboy, it seems to fit my riding style.

I'm very anxious to buy and have been waiting many years for this opportunity. I don't want to wait any longer because I'm not getting any younger lol and I don't want to rebuild that old TF8 again.

Hoping like hell I can land that Tallboy. I'll update this thread on NBD.

Posted: Dec 16, 2021 at 9:19 Quote
I think there is a Hightower AL - at least I’ve seen a few of the frames with the lower driven shock in the UK as I was wondering about buying one. Went with a Sentinel in the end as it came with a better shock / in a better colour / a local shop had the frameset in stock in my size.

The Tallboy definitely sounds like a really good option - if you can’t get one the Ibis sounds a close second.

Posted: Dec 16, 2021 at 10:16 Quote
You are correct. The new Hightower is offered in Aluminum. Used to not be.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011125
Mobile Version of Website