Rear shock lock-out vs whatever linkage

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Rear shock lock-out vs whatever linkage
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 14, 2021 at 8:17 Quote
Curious about it…

First, I don’t have tech climbing, occasionally I have one but the vast majority i got are gravel fire roads, some you can actually talk while pedaling while others are steep and (and you’ll shut up to breathe ) your bpm rise to 170, all of them between 20 to 45 minutes to clear, depending which trail you want to do.

So, on a gravel smooth fire road, is there any advantage in say….a dw-link over a vpp or Horst link or whatever with the lever locked out? As long you keep seated and spinning, what would be the actual real difference?

I have never ridden a dw-link bike, that’s why I’m asking.

Posted: Dec 15, 2021 at 8:35 Quote
I had a dw bike (Ibis mojo hd) with an avalanche coil shock. No lockout and it climbed like a dream. And descended like a champ, but was old geo so I had to let it go.

I now have a Kona process and use the lockout in the air shock. Actually I had two, the older design absolutely required a lockout for climbing, the new one less so, but for long climbs I use it.

In a perfect world I'd have the Ibis rear end on the updated geo of the Kona but that's not gonna happen.

On gravel there is a difference, the dw is going to be a little more supportive naturally in the open position. But many lockout shocks just have a platform so you'll get suspension action regardless. Honestly I think bike geo, fit & fork are more important. If you can find a rear suspension like dw that works with the above that's just icing on the cake.

I'd love to have another dw bike now that pivot & Ibis are running progressive geo but I'm not ready to spend that much coin. .

O+
Posted: Dec 15, 2021 at 10:03 Quote
My last two bikes have been dw-link (Turner 5.spot and Ibis Ripley AF) and as great as they are at climbing, I still usethe lockout on paved and smooth gravel climbs. There's very little movement when seated without it, but a locked out shock and fork let me stand up to give the sit bones a rest without everything bobbing.

Posted: Dec 16, 2021 at 4:25 Quote
Ah, good point about standing climbing, maybe that’s the biggest difference.
So, with steep sta ( modern geo) and a locked shock on a smooth gravel road, differences or possible advantages from one design to another are minimal.

I’m riding a Horst link bike, use the lever a lot, always making an effort to not forget to unlock it before going down. It climbs well, just trying to educate myself to buy the next bike.

Posted: Dec 16, 2021 at 8:34 Quote
The CBF suspension used on Revel and Canfield bikes works great as a balance between efficient climbing but still enough compliance for keeping traction and small bumps. It also completely isolates the suspension from pedaling and braking forces. I personally like it a lot but DW link is fantastic as well.

Posted: Dec 16, 2021 at 11:36 Quote
Technically, if the rear shock is locked, and not just firmed up, the suspension layout has absolutely no incidence, cause it wont move.

Posted: Dec 16, 2021 at 12:02 Quote
I have a Santa Cruz with Vpp and a Canecreek inline coil. I find myself leaving it open for the climbes where traction is questionable and things get steep. The open position seems to compensate for me overpowering the cranks when I'm fighting for my life at the end of the steep parts. I will usually lock it up for fire roads. The Canecreek lock mode still alows some suspention movement. Its really a matter of riding style, fitness, and preference. Mind over matter....

FL
Posted: Dec 16, 2021 at 15:33 Quote
I have a 19 rocky mountain altitude with a cane creek db coil. Minimum pedal bob but there is a difference with the climb switch flicked, so I try to use it when I remember.

O+
Posted: Dec 16, 2021 at 17:24 Quote
I have a 2019 Giant Trance with the Maestro linkage and a Fox DPX2 and I don't think I've ever touched the lockout switch

Posted: Dec 17, 2021 at 0:16 Quote
Rikduk wrote:
Technically, if the rear shock is locked, and not just firmed up, the suspension layout has absolutely no incidence, cause it wont move.

When I wrote locked, I meant “climb switch”, the ones I’ve tried always had a little bit of movement when necessary. Language issue

Posted: Dec 17, 2021 at 4:43 Quote
Well, ive had a 2000 stumpy (horst link), a 2010 trek fuel (kinda single pivot), and a 2020 SC bronson (vpp), and the vpp is the one with the less bob when climbing, from my point of view

Posted: Dec 17, 2021 at 14:10 Quote
On my bike (Commencal Meta AM 4.2,) the climb switch makes the suspension action feel more bobby, to be honest. I think the extra firmness at the rear just transfers some of the pedal input to the forks, which I must be able to feel better. I only use the climb switch if its a very smooth climb, like a paved or graded fire road.

O+
Posted: Dec 17, 2021 at 15:10 Quote
matt-15 wrote:
I have a 2019 Giant Trance with the Maestro linkage and a Fox DPX2 and I don't think I've ever touched the lockout switch

On a 2019 Trance 29, Maestro linkage with Fox DPS I only ever used the lockout on the rare occasions I used it on the road. 115mm rear travel is probably never going to bob too much though!

I had an Epic before that with the auto-lockout 'brain' rear shock, the Trance didn't really feel any less efficient pedalling up trails than the Epic. Different gearing too though so hard to compare directly.

Now I have a Reign 29, also Maestro linkage but with an X2 and 146mm - its not too bobby but definitely more than the Trance. I do tend to use the climb switch (not a full lockout, just firms up the support a bit) on that one as the X2 is quite active. Fantastic traction on technical climbs though, and still descends nicely with the shock in climb mode when you forget to flick the switch.

O+
Posted: Dec 19, 2021 at 20:52 Quote
I have a ripmo v2, I'll say I've never had to use the climb switch ever on the X2. Additional, I had an hd3 and it squated down a little bit when I stood up and pedaled but for the most part it was pretty solid.

Posted: Dec 21, 2021 at 7:08 Quote
Kidklayko wrote:
I have a ripmo v2, I'll say I've never had to use the climb switch ever on the X2. Additional, I had an hd3 and it squated down a little bit when I stood up and pedaled but for the most part it was pretty solid.

Did you ever compared it with another linkage and climb switch on?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012416
Mobile Version of Website