One bike to rule them all - 2022

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
One bike to rule them all - 2022
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 27, 2021 at 4:49 Quote
Hi everyone. After some good years being a hardtail guy, I've decided that 2022 is the year I'll go full suspension. I really want some opinions here the help me choose my next bike.

My local trails - and the ones I ride the most - are relatively steep and enduro-ish, but I also like to take my bike for some 6hours+ rides sometimes. Next year, I'm planning some XC and Enduro races. I dont need to be at the top of the podium in both categories, but I really want one bike that can take me to the finish line in either of them without having me killed.

The two premisses are that a. the bike should cost less than US$4k and b. it has to be one bike that does it all.

I'm currently thinking about three options:

1. 150mm of rear travel: bikes such as the new Sentinel of the Stumpjumper EVO (both alloy)

2. 140mm/130mm of rear travel: bikes such as the Commencal Meta TR or regular Stumpjumper

3. 120mm of rear travel: bikes such as the Rocky Mountain Element (alloy), Trek Top Fuel or Transition Spur (this one is a little more than US$4k, but it illustrates the kind of bike that would suit me).

Any thoughts?

Cheers, happy new year.

Posted: Dec 27, 2021 at 11:07 Quote
All good bikes, but maybe look at Guerilla Gravity (the Smash perhaps) and consider various seat stay kit options to make it a true "one bike to rule them all" bike. Price may be out of range though. Good luck.
https://ridegg.com/products/thesmash?option=Race

O+
Posted: Dec 27, 2021 at 12:45 Quote
Difficult to find a bike that will handle both an enduro course, well also peddling efficiently enough to be a good XC racer. I'd probably look at the Stumpjumper or Meta TR. Or, any similar mid-travel trail bike.

With respect to the Stumpjumper, I can attest to how well they pedal. Climbing on my Stumpy is night and day when compared to my hightower well having only slightly less travel. And, still does a decent job with the rowdy stuff.

Posted: Dec 27, 2021 at 13:22 Quote
I was looking at similar bikes/price for my son in-law. Ended up with the YT Jeffsy core 2.
Solid all around bike for the price.
https://us.yt-industries.com/products/bikes/378/jeffsy-29-core-2/preview

Posted: Dec 27, 2021 at 13:50 Quote
Ripmo AF. Good luck on finding something in that price range, but I think it pedals well for long days and pedaling uphill. You would want to switch the tires. Assegai's are great IMO, just slow rolling but the traction is mint.

Posted: Dec 27, 2021 at 23:27 Quote
Canyon strive is the best do it all bike.

Posted: Dec 28, 2021 at 6:26 Quote
BenLow2019 wrote:
All good bikes, but maybe look at Guerilla Gravity (the Smash perhaps) and consider various seat stay kit options to make it a true "one bike to rule them all" bike. Price may be out of range though. Good luck.
https://ridegg.com/products/thesmash?option=Race

Yeah, a little more than my budget allows. Seems like a good bike though.

Posted: Dec 28, 2021 at 6:27 Quote
Barks82 wrote:
Difficult to find a bike that will handle both an enduro course, well also peddling efficiently enough to be a good XC racer. I'd probably look at the Stumpjumper or Meta TR. Or, any similar mid-travel trail bike.

With respect to the Stumpjumper, I can attest to how well they pedal. Climbing on my Stumpy is night and day when compared to my hightower well having only slightly less travel. And, still does a decent job with the rowdy stuff.

Awesome. Stumpy is currently on the top spot. Never ridden one, but heard only good things.

Posted: Dec 28, 2021 at 6:30 Quote
Sniff303 wrote:
Ripmo AF. Good luck on finding something in that price range, but I think it pedals well for long days and pedaling uphill. You would want to switch the tires. Assegai's are great IMO, just slow rolling but the traction is mint.

Also heard great things about the Ibis, just don't like the looks of it.

Posted: Dec 28, 2021 at 10:12 Quote
blurryvision wrote:
I was looking at similar bikes/price for my son in-law. Ended up with the YT Jeffsy core 2.
Solid all around bike for the price.
https://us.yt-industries.com/products/bikes/378/jeffsy-29-core-2/preview

That's a beauty, but currently unavailable - YT seems pretty hard to dind these days.

Posted: Dec 28, 2021 at 10:15 Quote
ChrisD27 wrote:

Ever had any trouble with it? The $2800 alloy version seems pretty good value and I almost bought it (it'd arrive in june or something, but the value was so good I didn't care), but then I read tons of comments saying that Canyon bikes are not the most durable bikes in the market. Honestly dont know if that is true, but the amount of complaining was so big that I'm reconsidering it.

Posted: Dec 28, 2021 at 11:57 Quote
[Quote="aug7hallak"]Hi everyone. After some good years being a hardtail guy, I've decided that 2022 is the year I'll go full suspension. I really want some opinions here the help me choose my next bike.

My local trails - and the ones I ride the most - are relatively steep and enduro-ish, but I also like to take my bike for some 6hours+ rides sometimes. Next year, I'm planning some XC and Enduro races. I dont need to be at the top of the podium in both categories, but I really want one bike that can take me to the finish line in either of them without having me killed.

The two premisses are that a. the bike should cost less than US$4k and b. it has to be one bike that does it all.

I'm currently thinking about three options:

1. 150mm of rear travel: bikes such as the new Sentinel of the Stumpjumper EVO (both alloy)

2. 140mm/130mm of rear travel: bikes such as the Commencal Meta TR or regular Stumpjumper

3. 120mm of rear travel: bikes such as the Rocky Mountain Element (alloy), Trek Top Fuel or Transition Spur (this one is a little more than US$4k, but it illustrates the kind of bike that would suit me).

Any thoughts?

Cheers, happy new year.[/Quote

I'm currently riding a 2021 Commencal Meta TR Race. Great bike when you are heading downhill, not so much if your trails have a lot of climbing to get to those downhills. It weighs in at 36.04 lbs which is just too heavy for the type of trail riding I do in the Upper Midwest. I'm selling it for a full carbon rig that is lighter, more poppy, and less sled like. For the trails you described, I think the Meta TR would be a great option for you at the price point you need.

Posted: Dec 28, 2021 at 14:10 Quote
I haven't had any issues with mine except for a bolt that broke witch was my fault. The only thing that is a downside to the strive is service parts. They have most of the bolts and small stuff but it's a pain to find them, But as long as you keep your bike in good working order you should be fine.

aug7hallak wrote:
ChrisD27 wrote:

Ever had any trouble with it? The $2800 alloy version seems pretty good value and I almost bought it (it'd arrive in june or something, but the value was so good I didn't care), but then I read tons of comments saying that Canyon bikes are not the most durable bikes in the market. Honestly dont know if that is true, but the amount of complaining was so big that I'm reconsidering it.

Posted: Dec 28, 2021 at 17:59 Quote
Can it be a used bike? The Evil Offering can be a good all 'rounder. Maybe even a Banshee Prime.

Posted: Dec 29, 2021 at 22:03 Quote
Norco range is my dream bike was gonna buy it from jenson USA but they couldn’t email me if my Capra could swap my parts to the frame so didn’t buy it wanted to call me

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010491
Mobile Version of Website