Float X on Ripmo V1/2

PB Forum :: Ibis
Float X on Ripmo V1/2
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Dec 29, 2021 at 14:43 Quote
Has anyone taken the plunge and thrown a Float X Factory on their V1 or V2 yet?

Some of the early reviews make me think this could be a good option for the V1.

Posted: Jan 6, 2022 at 19:19 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:
Has anyone taken the plunge and thrown a Float X Factory on their V1 or V2 yet?

Some of the early reviews make me think this could be a good option for the V1.

I have a friend who has a float x on his Ripley and loves it. He also runs it with a 140mm fork. Prolly would feel like a Dvo Topaz. I'm sure it would work just fine. It would prolly feel a little more planted than the dpx2.

Posted: Jan 9, 2022 at 21:01 Quote
I've got a Factory Float X on my V2 Ripmo.

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 15:00 Quote
Any air shock should work reasonably well on the Ripmo V2. I have a super deluxe ultimate on mine, I like it a lot more than the X2. Give the float X a try.

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 18:05 Quote
I replaced the Fox DPX2 with the Fox Float X on my Ripmo V1. It performs much better in all ways then the DPX2 and was very easy to setup. It uses the Ripmo’s travel more efficiently and I am consistently using all the travel. Great compression & rebound control.

Posted: Jan 22, 2022 at 11:56 Quote
I was really wanting to replace my DPX2 on my V1 with a Float X last year but got tired of waiting for availability. Ended up with a Topaz and it really made a world of difference. No more choosing between traction or support. I’d still like to try a Float X for the sake of comparison but man, the Topaz is such a massive improvement over the DPX2.

Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 4:36 Quote
Great feedback from everyone. The Float X is pretty hard to find still this year. I ended up finding one in a 210 x 50mm, and confirmed with Fox that it comes with a 5mm stoke reducer that can be removed just be removing the air can. Won’t be here until the weekend and then I will give some feedback also.

I really have no complaints on my x2 on the V1, it does everything quite well. Hoping the Float X will provide a little more trail oriented and livelier feel.

Posted: Feb 12, 2022 at 21:48 Quote
I just did my first ride with one. I had a PUSH and Cascade link before. I put in the biggest spacer. It was pretty fun ride today. A bit livelier and fun jumping. I was surprised that I did not miss the previous set up.

I changed because I got a big bike and I wanted to lighten this as my trail bike.

Posted: Feb 13, 2022 at 4:40 Quote
bikedrd wrote:
I just did my first ride with one. I had a PUSH and Cascade link before. I put in the biggest spacer. It was pretty fun ride today. A bit livelier and fun jumping. I was surprised that I did not miss the previous set up.

I changed because I got a big bike and I wanted to lighten this as my trail bike.

I have a few light rides on my Factory Float X so far also. Everything is pretty wet or muddy so trails are limited. So far it feels good, it came with a .6 volume reducer and the volume tuning kits are pretty much non existent.
The shock definitely provides a bit more support off the top but is very smooth and still sucks everything up quite well at speed. The rebound a LSC have a nice range also. I will get it out on a proper ride today and provide more feedback.

I will add removing the travel limiter is quite simple. I bought the 210 x 50mm as it was all I could find in stock. Just slip the air can off and 2 screws release 2 2.5mm spacers. You do need slightly shorter screws to replace the original ones once the travel limiter is removed, but they were easily found at a hardware store. I believe they were m3 x 6mm.

Posted: Mar 9, 2022 at 14:46 Quote
I like mine, have quite a few rides on it. I started out at recommended settings and ended up about 10 lbs less pressure and right at suggested rebound and compression settings. The only negative I can say about it is the lockout isn’t very solid, still a fair amount of travel when flipped.
The overall performance is pretty amazing but that is likely more due to the bike itself. This is my first bike with this much travel so I can’t give any comparisons. It climbs chunk like nothing I’ve ever ridden and makes challenging downhills easy, still pedal really well on the flat. No harsh bottom outs at all and the fact that I can bash deep into the travel without getting jarred is a big part of what makes the bike so much easier to control. Climbing performance is what amazes me. I clear stuff on trails with ease that I used to really struggle with. I ran the bike with a coil at first and it was a very good but also very tiring climber, like riding a sponge, this combo of shock and frame is great.

Posted: Apr 30, 2022 at 9:30 Quote
For those of you with a Float X on the V1, have you experimented with different volume spacers? With the X2, the consensus was really to fill the air can with volume reducers to reduce bottom out.
With the Float X, I have been pretty surprised with how well it resists bottom out. I started with the 0.6 volume reducer and after never finding bottom, moved down to the 0.4. It did make a noticeable difference in the feel of the shock, and have not found bottom after several decent rides. I am also not sure how much the giant marshmellow bottom out bumper they added to this shock is playing into the bottom out resistance.

Overall very happy with the shock, has a very consistent feel to it, especially in high speed chatter. I am currently running 25% sag, and may bump it up to 30%. Was never able to run 30% sag on my x2 or it seemed to bottom out too much.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006245
Mobile Version of Website