2022 Mukluk or 2022 Farley 5

PB Forum :: Fat Bikes
2022 Mukluk or 2022 Farley 5
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 6, 2022 at 14:53 Quote
So, as I've grown older, it's turned out the only exercise I enjoy is mountain biking. I live in central Canada, it's quite flat and cold, but there lots of trails nearby to ride. For half the year they are covered in snow and ice. Last year in late summer I decided I wanted to extend the bike season a little, into the first months of winter, and pick it up again long before the snow melts. So decided to buy a fatbike.

Nothing is available of course, so after calling all the bike shops in town I got my name on two waiting lists:

For a 2022 Mukluk, which was supposed to arrive Oct 2021, and currently inbound Feb 2022.
And a 2022 Farley 5, originally intended as a back up, arriving Feb 2022, and currently on track for late Jan.

So both are going to be available around the same time which gets me to wondering, now that I have a choice, or at least might have a choice, which bike is better? Thought I'd ask this forum since there seems to be a lot of knowledgeable people here. This is my first fatbike, and my first new bike since about 2008.

I like the mukluk, I like the idea of the 4.5" rubber. The Farley 5 in a medium comes with a 3.8 on the rear and I don't know if it will take a 4.5 front and rear or not. The large comes with a 4.5 front and rear.

I understand the 27.5 wheels on the Farley is a good thing though. Is it terrible to buy a bike with 26 wheels these days?

I understand the Farley 5 comes with an excellent rear hub a dropper and a decent groupset. I'm not sure how I feel about the advent X on the Mukluk but I love the Dillinger tires.

Just wondered what you all think about the choice? (it may not end up being a choice, who knows what will arrive and when these days!)

Any thoughts appreciated.

Posted: Jan 6, 2022 at 17:02 Quote
Hey Andy,
My opinion is still the farley.
I could be wrong but it looks like the mukluk is a 26 fat or max 4 inch rear on a 27.5 where as the Farley can run 4.5 rear if tire width is important to you. 27.5 x 4 is plenty for where u are. Guys race on 26 still so don’t get too caught up over wheel sizes but trek seems more options.
I like the components better on the Farley a lot.
Tires aren’t super important to me with being 3.8 vs 4.5 unless your hitting lots of snow. I’m guessing you’re Manitoba or something and sounds like ice is more you’re thing. I have two wheelsets, tires are 3.8(65mm rim) and 4.5(80mm). Not much difference until you have good amount of snow but huge difference in drag in summer and in less snow environment.
Im thinking wheels aren’t an issue for you with what I said(3.8 fine in some snow). My take on what hits me right away comparing the two bikes based on what you’ve said in past couple posts;
THE DROPPER, it is so nice having a dropper, you don’t need it on a fatbike I’ve used both types, but it’s a deal breaker for most people and for good reason.
Brakes; (are you getting tektro or sram on mukluk?) people debate this a lot but in my experience I’ve had flawless experience running dot 5.1. You’re trek has Sram level which may not be awesome compared to other models but in super cold weather it’s a no brainer using dot fluid, they will always work. I’ll never go back(for fatbikes) Sram is so easy to bleed too now. Mineral oil brakes feel like crap even in -10 for me.
The trek has a 121 bb and it’s a pressfit so harder to work on without spending $$ on tools vs the 100mm threaded salsa. But that would not sway me at all, you don’t need to remove it much.
The frames are quite different, the Mukluk is more of a touring bike packing, sit on your bike all day with 25 bags and blog about it type bike, I think you’ll like the trek frame better for fun/storming the gates of babylon.
I wouldn’t compare the two unless you were talking the beargrease. Trek all the way.
I think the dropper on your trek is even sealed cartridge so you don’t even need a shock pump.
Def look at if your tires are studdable? You’ll def want studded tires for lots of ice, and don’t clown around with 3 finger gloves just get pogies.
Guys usually just buy a dedicated studded tire set.
There’s much to debate, and you can add suspension on both, add a dropper whatever but it sounds like you’re on a budget, without changing much components: trek for me.

Posted: Jan 6, 2022 at 21:01 Quote
I am on a budget, both bikes are tapping it out.

I am in MB and yes there's lots of snow and ice. I do intend to ride the creek system behind my house too.

The treks tires are studable as are the mukluks, and I imagine a second set of wheels and tires are in the future. Perhaps not immediately though. The Mukluk comes with 4.6 Dillinger's. I don't know that the medium Farley can take a wider tire then the 3.8 it comes with. It might though.

The mukluk has tektro brakes I believe and I assume both bikes run dot fluid. Don't seem to be able to confirm. Totally agree with what you said about mineral oil brakes in the cold. I've had lots of trouble in the last couple weeks, although it really has been exceptionally cold recently.

Seems like on paper the trek has the better components. I do lust after the mukluk though. I think it's those nice tan wall tires it comes with lol.

I should check if the 100mm BB means a narrower Q factor? I sometimes have trouble with a knee, and it's crossed my mind that I just don't know if q factor matters. I'll have to research that a little and try to figure out what that measurement is on my current bike.

Thanks as ever.

Posted: Jan 6, 2022 at 21:55 Quote
I don't know much about either of those bikes, but I can offer the following observations: I have Dillinger 5 tires (fully studded) on my fatbike (a Surly Ice Cream Truck), and they've been great on everything from snow to ice to dry pavement; zero complaints. Also every Tektro hydraulic brake I've ever seen has run on mineral oil, not DOT.

Posted: Jan 7, 2022 at 5:22 Quote
Tektro are all mineral oil like barb said.
As for Q factor, i can’t see the bikes being too much different as both run a big 197 rear. I couldn’t find the numbers though, likely the trek would be wider as it can run wider tires, the chain would have to able to clear a 4.5 tire on all the gears. This is Probly why you have a 121.
As for the trek, I could be wrong but running a 121 bb with a 197 rear I find it hard to believe it can’t run 27.5 x 4.5 or 26 x 4.7 etc. That bb and rear is as big as they come. I have a medium frame with that setup and I can run anything, but I don’t wanna give you bad info maybe someone here has experience with trek? Call them maybe. It’s typically not the frame size that matters, it’s the bb, rear end and dropouts.
I really think you’ll be disappointed with tektro in the prairies. They will likely loose tons of power or fail, it’s pretty cold. There’s a reason pretty much every high end fatbike has sram, even the mukluk with shimano xt comes with sram g2. Lots of good articles and interviews with borealis and stuff talking about this.
I wouldn’t sweat the Q factor too much
It looks like you’ll have a better stand over clearance too on the trek.
Pretty sure everyone here will still tell you trek, not saying you won’t be happy either way.

Posted: Jan 7, 2022 at 9:13 Quote
That's good info too. I'd be reluctant to get another bike that's using mineral oil for the brakes. I've experienced the limitations of that here in the last few weeks. I even changed the oil in mine because I was sure there was moisture in the system but it hasn't really helped. And good info on chain clearance. Seems like there is a clear winner between these two bikes.

Posted: Jan 8, 2022 at 5:06 Quote
I bought a 21 Farley 5 so I have a little insight. My shop had Muklucks on order but they never showed up so I got the Farley. Its a great bike, even in the lowest base model. Deore is so good nowadays and leaves very little to be desired. The Sram Level brakes aren't great, but adequate for winter riding. The dropper is short (125mm) but very handy for dismounting in the snow. Strangkehold dropouts are nice because it gives you wheelbase options for snow or summer.
Tires are beefy and studable and very good for snow. Not the fastest but they'll go through anything. I studded mine right away since its icy here. Overall im very happy with the bike and would recomment it to my friends. Oh, i believe a 4.5 fits in the rear if you move the axle back.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009883
Mobile Version of Website