My Kingdom for some good gloves!

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
My Kingdom for some good gloves!
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 6, 2022 at 15:33 Quote
I have 2 pairs of DaKine gloves from several years ago that I love. However, I tore my lightweight pair over the summer and am looking for a replacement. The great thing about both of these is they do not have a seam on the edge of the thumb where it would rub on the bars. The palm material wraps over the crease of your thumb and is stitched on the back side.

I have now ordered 3 different pairs of gloves DaKine, TLD, and 100% and they all have a seam right there, on the edge/crease, just to annoy you and give you a blister...

Also, 100% size large seems to be a medium. Are we now in a place where gloves join the "Skinny" trend in clothes?

Does anyone have know of a make/model that does not have a seam in the crease of your thumb? And a large is actually a large?

Posted: Jan 6, 2022 at 16:03 Quote
scitrainer wrote:
I have 2 pairs of DaKine gloves from several years ago that I love. However, I tore my lightweight pair over the summer and am looking for a replacement. The great thing about both of these is they do not have a seam on the edge of the thumb where it would rub on the bars. The palm material wraps over the crease of your thumb and is stitched on the back side.

I have now ordered 3 different pairs of gloves DaKine, TLD, and 100% and they all have a seam right there, on the edge/crease, just to annoy you and give you a blister...

Also, 100% size large seems to be a medium. Are we now in a place where gloves join the "Skinny" trend in clothes?

Does anyone have know of a make/model that does not have a seam in the cease of your thumb? And a large is actually a large?

Can't help with the seam problem but I too think that large gloves are no longer a large size - I seem to fit an extra large these days. I've given up on finding gloves at my local bike shop, as an alternative try shopping at your local moto inspired shop (my current gloves were in the off-road moto section of our local Canadian Tire store, a hardware store that has grown into general merchandising).

Posted: Jan 6, 2022 at 22:04 Quote
My go to, all season gloves are Fox Dirtpaw. The palm material is wrapped all around the thumb for comfort and extra grip.

Sizing seems on point but I go for the largest available so I can fit some fleece/thinsulate gloves inside for the winter months.

Bought Dirtpaws for years now and they're great, Imo. Worth a look but watch out for the numerous, cheap, thin, undersized rip off's out there.

Random review I spotted:-

https://youtu.be/_g5DbJ4hQNg

Posted: Jan 6, 2022 at 23:09 Quote
I've had success with thor's mx gloves more so than any other brands, and I do try about 4-5 different pairs each year and thor's gloves always seem to beat everything else out for me.

Posted: Jan 7, 2022 at 7:28 Quote
I like Handup gloves. Maybe check them out.
https://handupgloves.com/

Posted: Jan 7, 2022 at 9:51 Quote
Thanks for replying. The moto level gloves from several brands have what I am looking for with the thumb, but they are thick for a summer/light glove...I know, I have a couple pairs for moto.

From the pictures those Handup gloves look to have a seam right down the inside of the thumb?

Posted: Jan 17, 2022 at 10:31 Quote
scitrainer wrote:
Thanks for replying. The moto level gloves from several brands have what I am looking for with the thumb, but they are thick for a summer/light glove...I know, I have a couple pairs for moto.

From the pictures those Handup gloves look to have a seam right down the inside of the thumb?

Yes they do. Right along the edge of the finger and along the edge of the thumb.

I went for a ride a couple days ago with your remark in my mind and kept thinking about my hands and gloves during the ride, occasionally muttering and fiddling with my hand positioning.

For the life of me I couldn't feel the seam on that thumb. It feels absolutely smooth to my hands inside. Like they must've shielded or taped over the seam I thought.

Anyhow, I believed I should be able to detect the seam the way I was gripping the bars. So I removed the gloves and turned them inside out: the seam material is actually there and stitched neatly, but when I wear the glove I literally can not feel it. I don't know why, but I'm thinking maybe the seam is just behind where pressure from my grip is located.

In any case, I think they're good gloves and well crafted.

Hope that helps.

Posted: Jan 17, 2022 at 19:54 Quote
Thanks for the reply, appreciate the info!

Posted: Jan 17, 2022 at 20:02 Quote
scitrainer wrote:
Thanks for the reply, appreciate the info!

Leatt's moto glove might be what you're looking for - I use the 3.5 and 4.5. Never seen them out on the trail, but they're definitely the best-fitting gloves I've tried. I don't notice any seams or hotspots, they breathe relatively well, and are pretty durable. Leatt's warranty team is pretty good in case of QC issues as well. They're also slim fitting insofar as the fingers fit great and the wrist area can cinch down pretty tight if you need it to. I've run mine for two seasons, throw them in regular laundry occasionally and they've turned out fine.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006045
Mobile Version of Website