YT Izzo...or? Help me out!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
YT Izzo...or? Help me out!
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 7, 2022 at 6:04 Quote
Hey everyone. I'm in need of a new bike.

I'm on the east coast of Canada. Most trails are more cross country oriented. I might make it to a bike park 2-3 times a year. The shuttled parks are small ranging from 218-280m elevation.

I like going fast, pushing my endurance, this will be my third summer season (second winter) on the bike - I am quite obsessed and looking to get into participating in races this year.

Most races around here are cross country based.

So ultimately I am looking for a capable bike that won't be instantly dropped in an XC race yet is still capable at handling some jumps/drops.

Appreciate your input!

Posted: Jan 7, 2022 at 6:34 Quote
Jeffsey

I know they label the izzo as a trail bike, but I would not ride park on a SID.

Posted: Jan 7, 2022 at 6:45 Quote
How would a jeffsy fair for cross country racing however? I worry that it's a touch too much travel and a little too far from the XC category. Not much gravity riding around here.

Also YT has a fox 34 performance elite not the SID (not that I've ridden either)

Posted: Jan 7, 2022 at 7:14 Quote
Jeffsy is a fair bit bigger than the Izzo. It would get round xc races but probably not wildly competitively.

Izzo is probably good for trails and xc. Wouldn’t be my choice for bike park jumping and drops though - but I think it would survive on the odd occasion. A mate rides a Trek Top Fuel and it’s amazing the abuse that has taken - his is the version before the most current one but he’s added a slackset. He’s ridden it down loads of steep tech and jumped it at bike parks and it’s just lapped it up. Wheels are tyres are probably really important - maybe have some light xc wheels / tyres for racing and then have a spare set of burlier ones with stronger casing tyres?

Would have thought something like a Transition Spur might hit the spot that bit better than the Izzo as the geometry is slacker. Probably more money than a YT though.

I don’t know if you get Bird bikes in Canada but the Aether 9C might be worth a look - it’s quite slack but they pedal well and are really robust without weighing too much.

Also wonder if a Norco Optic could work well for what you’re after. It’s in that relatively short travel but rowdy geometry ballpark. A mate has just got one and quite likes it. Nice looking bike.

Ibis Ripley may also do a job - although it’s probably nearer to the Izzo than the Spur in terms of geometry.

Posted: Jan 7, 2022 at 7:45 Quote
JoeBristol wrote:
Jeffsy is a fair bit bigger than the Izzo. It would get round xc races but probably not wildly competitively.

Izzo is probably good for trails and xc. Wouldn’t be my choice for bike park jumping and drops though - but I think it would survive on the odd occasion. A mate rides a Trek Top Fuel and it’s amazing the abuse that has taken - his is the version before the most current one but he’s added a slackset. He’s ridden it down loads of steep tech and jumped it at bike parks and it’s just lapped it up. Wheels are tyres are probably really important - maybe have some light xc wheels / tyres for racing and then have a spare set of burlier ones with stronger casing tyres?

Would have thought something like a Transition Spur might hit the spot that bit better than the Izzo as the geometry is slacker. Probably more money than a YT though.

I don’t know if you get Bird bikes in Canada but the Aether 9C might be worth a look - it’s quite slack but they pedal well and are really robust without weighing too much.

Also wonder if a Norco Optic could work well for what you’re after. It’s in that relatively short travel but rowdy geometry ballpark. A mate has just got one and quite likes it. Nice looking bike.

Ibis Ripley may also do a job - although it’s probably nearer to the Izzo than the Spur in terms of geometry.

Thanks for the input, i'll check out the transition! I'm hoping to pick something up on the used market as well.

I would say I'll probably do 200ish rides a year, historically maybe 1 of those rides would be a shuttled service and the rest is just local features. Never have I seen a drop over 4-5ft on any local trail around here. Often I find people always lean to more travel is better, but realistically it's not what is around here.

That coupled with I've been really enjoying the fitness journey and XC has been catering to that nicely.

Posted: Jan 7, 2022 at 7:48 Quote
Maybe something like the Izzo / Spur / Top fuel / Ripley are a good option then.

Aether 9c and Optic are probably a bit heavier than those and more ‘trail’ than ‘down-country’ to use a marketing term.

Posted: Jan 7, 2022 at 8:28 Quote
JoeBristol wrote:
Maybe something like the Izzo / Spur / Top fuel / Ripley are a good option then.

Aether 9c and Optic are probably a bit heavier than those and more ‘trail’ than ‘down-country’ to use a marketing term.

I think you're right. The Izzo/Top Fuel are probably best (great looking as well!)

Posted: Jan 7, 2022 at 11:27 Quote
your post says you want a bike that can handle drops and jumps and that you go to the park 2-3 times a year...but then you say you don't have any drop or jumps near you and you go to the park 1 time a year....

maybe clarify a bit.

A cross country bike or even light duty trail bike is never going to be that great in the drop and jump department let alone a bike park.

Posted: Jan 7, 2022 at 12:07 Quote
fourfourone wrote:
your post says you want a bike that can handle drops and jumps and that you go to the park 2-3 times a year...but then you say you don't have any drop or jumps near you and you go to the park 1 time a year....

maybe clarify a bit.

A cross country bike or even light duty trail bike is never going to be that great in the drop and jump department let alone a bike park.

Mostly I'm saying a core XC bike isn't going to cut it. Short travel might.

Posted: Jan 8, 2022 at 7:38 Quote
In terms of capability it’s probably Spur over the other 3 mentioned. Top Fuel / Izzo / Ripley are probably similar in that respect geometry wise. All should be pretty efficient pedalling - although the DW link on the Ripley might edge out the others for going uphill.

Posted: Jan 8, 2022 at 11:23 Quote
fourfourone wrote:
Jeffsey

I know they label the izzo as a trail bike, but I would not ride park on a SID.

Only one model comes with a SID.

Posted: Jan 10, 2022 at 12:12 Quote
Sounds like you need a down-country lol... PB just reviewed a bunch, check it out.

Posted: Jan 25, 2022 at 16:38 Quote
Orbea Occam can take a beating and still pedals really well

Posted: Feb 1, 2022 at 22:59 Quote
Canyon Lux Trail. Swap headset straight away with a Works Components which takes it down to 66deg. Still rides well and is fast on pedally stuff. And not overly expensive. Remove lockouts 'cos you don't need 'em. Boom.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007143
Mobile Version of Website