When did Maxxis remove silkshield from EXO+?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
When did Maxxis remove silkshield from EXO+?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 10, 2022 at 13:22 Quote
Under the table of models for Maxxis tires, there’s a summary of “available technologies”. In the past, it’s shown that EXO+ differs from EXO with the addition of a silkshield layer that wraps around the entire tire, supposedly helping to protect from tread punctures.

They’ve now replaced that graphic and description. Instead of silkshield, EXO+ now offers small butyl strips that run alongside the bead, protecting from pinch flats and rim damage but not punctures.

https://www.maxxis.com/us/tire/dissector/
https://www.maxxis.com/us/tire/minion-dhr-ii/

Is this new for the 2022 model year? I couldn’t find any announcement of or commentary on the change.

If they’ve changed the meaning of EXO+, I’m wondering what implications could that have for the performance of the tire?
I’d assume relative to EXO it no longer has superior protection from thorn-like punctures or better sidewall support, but probably is lighter. The difference between the dissector models is only 28g.

Seems like it’ll be a less effective bridge between EXO and DD though

Posted: Jan 10, 2022 at 17:04 Quote
NOW that makes sense... I've been getting a TON of tears at the bead since early this Summer, I even ended up sending one that tore on both sides in to Maxxis to see what was going on, only to be told they were just pinch flats. Some of my friends have been having the same issues and have been talking about trying other manufacturers next. Really makes me wonder if this is what the issue has been. Thanks for the info!

Posted: Jan 20, 2022 at 11:07 Quote
Apparently all tires since at least October 2021 have been the newer style EXO+ that they claim is better than the old. All of the sidewalls that I've torn this year say otherwise.

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 18:23 Quote
I started using exclusively DD maxxis tires. I think the EXO and EXO+ tires are trash if you ride even remotely hard in rocky terrain. Bikes have gotten so good, you have to upgrade to stronger tires if you want to use them to their potential.

I've had good luck with Bontrager Grid Trail tires as a lighter weight option. Stronger and more supportive than EXO without a huge weight penalty.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005804
Mobile Version of Website