Thinking of going 32t round to 28t oval chainring…

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Thinking of going 32t round to 28t oval chainring…
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 11, 2022 at 10:56 Quote
Any feedback going with this set up?
Running 1X12 on Stumpjumper, I do a lot of tech climbing in rock gardens if that helps with my posting, thanks!!!

Posted: Jan 11, 2022 at 11:34 Quote
Big fan of oval rings, run pine for years, and just put a 30t oval on my stumpy evo alloy (not ridden it yet). Only comment would be to look hk at the change to a smaller size could effect anti squat

Posted: Jan 11, 2022 at 12:52 Quote
I’ve been running an Absolute Black oval on my bikes for 3 years, same for my buddies. We all run 30t on the following bikes, 2020 Rascal, 2021 Rascal, 2019 Stumpy expert, and 2021 Wreckoning. We ride a bit of everything terrain wise, and the 30t has been perfect. A 28t for me would definitely be a bit small.
Hope this helps!

Posted: Jan 11, 2022 at 13:23 Quote
Yep, I agree thst 30 is good. A 30 will perform like a 28 when you need it and a 32 when you don't as much. Been very pleased with it. Running a Wolf Tooth.

O+
Posted: Jan 11, 2022 at 13:31 Quote
I'll be the first one here, to deny the oval chainring works, I have a 32t oval, and it feels like a 34t climbing, luckily I have 52t to help.

Posted: Jan 11, 2022 at 16:09 Quote
As some have stated the 28T may be a bit small.
I recently switched to an Absolute Black oval and can't really tell the difference. I like it and there's a small part of me that thinks "I believe this climb is a bit easier now", but it wasn't same big night-vs-day difference going from round to oval. I believe in the technology and the philosophy, but I would switch back without any real heart ache.

Posted: Jan 11, 2022 at 17:54 Quote
I believe it can be a meh, if you have strong legs, naturally strong with no issues climbing, but for those of us that maybe don't have the strength vs body weight. I, for example, don't have the largest quads, and I have had 2 knee surgeries, plus I weigh about 210 lbs and consider my legs undersized. Haha I notice an oval because I have a natural weak spot in my pedal stroke that the oval ring balances out.

I don't notice it as much as I used to, though. I have 2 bikes, geared the same, one with oval and one round. Riding round ATM, and it is not killing me.

To me, the oval ring is just a more natural pedal stroke.

O+
Posted: Jan 11, 2022 at 17:58 Quote
For me with larger legs, an oval is harder to turn.

Posted: Jan 11, 2022 at 18:02 Quote
I don't see how it could ever be harder to turn, unless somehow you could install it clocked wrong.

O+
Posted: Jan 11, 2022 at 18:07 Quote
Well, I had a 30t circle, for a while, after putting on a 32t oval, it feels like a 34t round going up the hill.

Posted: Jan 11, 2022 at 18:11 Quote
Yep, that is what it does. Read Wolf tooth's description on how, where in the stroke it affects the stroke and you will understand. You essentially went up 2 teeth, oval or not and expected it to be easier? Should jave stayed same gearing. Now, you have a 34 in ypur power portion and a 30 in your weak spot.

I feel would notice a difference if you had installed the same tooth you have in round.

O+
Posted: Jan 11, 2022 at 18:28 Quote
gmoss wrote:
Yep, that is what it does. Read Wolf tooth's description on how, where in the stroke it affects the stroke and you will understand. You essentially went up 2 teeth, oval or not and expected it to be easier? Should jave stayed same gearing. Now, you have a 34 in ypur power portion and a 30 in your weak spot.

I feel would notice a difference if you had installed the same tooth you have in round.

Wow, I didn't know that... OF COURSE, I knew that when I bought it, I'm saying an oval of the same size is harder to pedal on sustained climbs and you even admitted it in your comment. I have been running 34t round on 11 and 12 speeds for a while too so it's my preferred chainring size, some people think it's big, but it helps on the downhill.

Posted: Jan 11, 2022 at 18:38 Quote
For me it”s not a “Night and Day difference”. Where I notice the most improvement is on the sharp punchy/technical portions of a climb. That little bit extra, where I may stall/struggle on the same size round chainring.
But WTF do I know! Lol!

Posted: Jan 11, 2022 at 19:38 Quote
That is not what I said, not even close. You cannot compare going up 2 teeth on an oval to a round - 2.

Blurry, I have experienced the same.

Posted: Jan 11, 2022 at 19:55 Quote
This will help shed some light.

https://wheretheroadforks.com/oval-vs-round-chainring/

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010828
Mobile Version of Website