Thinking of going 32t round to 28t oval chainring…

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Thinking of going 32t round to 28t oval chainring…
Posted: Jan 11, 2022 at 20:35 Quote
The clutch came loose on my derailleur after about 4 months of riding with an oval chainring

I wondered at the time if it could have been related to the constant back and forth motion the oval chainring puts on the derailleur

put about 2000km of riding in those 4 months, maybe 1/4 of was climbing

Posted: Jan 11, 2022 at 21:00 Quote
Yo thanks guys I appreciate all the feedback!!! It’s truly awesome to get so many opinions. I’m all new to the whole oval chainring game and trying to do all the research on how it would benefit me, and with the type of riding I do I somewhat learned that for climbs I would want to go with 28t oval even though I ride 32t round. The overall chain ring arrives tomorrow my last question would be, if I install this what would I notice different and if there would be any downside to it? Or should I not even mess with it and stick with what most are saying 30t oval or even stay at 32t oval??

Posted: Jan 11, 2022 at 21:07 Quote
MetalFingerz wrote:
Yo thanks guys I appreciate all the feedback!!! It’s truly awesome to get so many opinions. I’m all new to the whole oval chainring game and trying to do all the research on how it would benefit me, and with the type of riding I do I somewhat learned that for climbs I would want to go with 28t oval even though I ride 32t round. The overall chain ring arrives tomorrow my last question would be, if I install this what would I notice different and if there would be any downside to it? Or should I not even mess with it and stick with what most are saying 30t oval or even stay at 32t oval??

Yeah it'll feel like you have an extra gear going uphill, and you've like you've lost one going downhill. You might feel that you can't pedal a whole ton when going downhill at fast speeds. On like a road for example. That's the only disadvantage really, I mean theres a slight increase in dropped chains, but not much. Hope you enjoy it!

Posted: Jan 12, 2022 at 13:03 Quote
Sweet!! That’s really what I needed to know. Not worry about pedaling DH as the decents here can be as steep as -50% grades. I’ll give it a shot and have some feedback after a few rides Good Looking and safe riding

Posted: Jan 12, 2022 at 13:44 Quote
Damm 50% is hella steep.

Posted: Jan 12, 2022 at 15:00 Quote
Read the article, it will give you some insight.

I have never dropped a chain with oval, but I do keep my der greased/ maintained after one getting sticky a few years back riding a round ring and in lots of bad weather conditions. It seems that is a maint item on shimano der so I keep it lubed.

What I found was that it was smoother pedaling, and I could sometimes run a gear higher in the rear, say 2nd largest cog vs largest.

I have a wolf tooth round and oval off the bike right now and can take a pic. I know they say 2 teeth difference, and would like to compare to a +2 cog, but the difference is subtle on total diameter change. IOW, it is narrower than it is wider, if that makes sense. Not sure if +2 teeth is really accurate description or not for the power portion of the stroke.

Posted: Jan 13, 2022 at 11:12 Quote
Bro stop. I didn't that there was an increased drop in chain because it was oval. I said the increased chain drop will be because he has a smaller chainring up front. This happens on round chains as well. It has nothing to do will oval or round chainrings. Now will he drop a chain while on that bike, probably never thanks to narrow-wide chainrings, just forget this entire discussion.

Posted: Jan 13, 2022 at 16:10 Quote
Kidklayko wrote:
Bro stop. I didn't that there was an increased drop in chain because it was oval. I said the increased chain drop will be because he has a smaller chainring up front. This happens on round chains as well. It has nothing to do will oval or round chainrings. Now will he drop a chain while on that bike, probably never thanks to narrow-wide chainrings, just forget this entire discussion.

stop, no, you can go on and forget this discussion if you want, but last I checked, this isn't your website or your discussion. Note I have not told you to do anything. you are welcome to leave it.

I was not responding to you in the first place. I was responding to the person commenting on chain dropping and if it was related to the oval ring and movement of the der. I enjoy talking bikes and helping people solve issues. just here to pass some time. don't take it too seriously.

Go ride. I did today and it was awesome.

Posted: Jan 13, 2022 at 18:01 Quote
I've been running ovals for several years now. IME an oval feels like the next size down round when climbing.
e.g. a 32 oval feels more like a 31 round when climbing. A 30 oval feels like a 29 round when climbing.

Posted: Jan 13, 2022 at 18:29 Quote
Cpembo6 wrote:
I've been running ovals for several years now. IME an oval feels like the next size down round when climbing.
e.g. a 32 oval feels more like a 31 round when climbing. A 30 oval feels like a 29 round when climbing.

Nice good for you

Posted: Jan 13, 2022 at 19:02 Quote
sber3263 wrote:
The clutch came loose on my derailleur after about 4 months of riding with an oval chainring

I wondered at the time if it could have been related to the constant back and forth motion the oval chainring puts on the derailleur

put about 2000km of riding in those 4 months, maybe 1/4 of was climbing

If you are riding a full suspension bike the derailleur already is performing constant back and forth motions as the suspension compresses and extends. I can't imagine an oval chainring being harder on a clutch than active rear suspension that, at times, is very violently active.

Posted: Jan 14, 2022 at 2:05 Quote
By the time the clutch wears out you'll probably be ready for new drive train if not new bike anyway.

Posted: Jan 14, 2022 at 23:54 Quote
I’ve been on oval rings since 2016 now, both AB and hope.
I would summarise my experience with them as

They peddle like for like with the same size round so if you are running a 30t round go for a 30t oval.
They even out the powerstroke which is mostly noticeable on steep techy climbs at lower cadence. They are actually marketed as traction rings and I would say this is where they give the most noticeable improvement against a standard round ring. Wet and slippy and techy steep climbs is where they shine.
If you don’t ride those types of climbs and have a fast even cadence then you may well not get much benefit from them.

Having run them on both hardtail sand full sussers I would say the advantage is more noticeable on the full susser as the back wheel tends to be more plantet on techy climbs allowing you to sit and spin more steadily.

They may feel weird initially but you soon get used to it and I now switch between bikes with oval and round rings with no notice in terms of cadence /feel on the legs.

I have had no issues with derailer wear or chain loss associated with an oval ring, it’s not an issue and as said, rear suspension and drivetrain set-up inflicts more wear on the rear mech.

For me there is an improvement in the areas mentioned above but it’s not “night and day”, changing tyres which are more appropriate for the terrain will have a bigger impact but it’s another little performance booster and they all add up.

Posted: Jan 16, 2022 at 18:12 Quote
If you compair a 32 tooth round next to a 32 tooth oval you will see that it is smaller on two sides and bigger on two sides. Its simple geometry, when you smash a circle it becomes an oval. A 30 tooth oval will feel like a 32 tooth round on the power stroke and a 28 tooth round in the transition stroke. The 28 tooth oval will be a good bailout gear. Not huge, but a noticeable reduction in fatigue on longer climbs.

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 0:47 Quote
Thanks for all the feedback guys, again I truly appreciate it!!!
Going back, I installed the oval and took it last weekend on some tough technical climbs at cowboy trails in Las Vegas. Need to also correct from my topic. It is 30t round chainring that I am running and swapped to 28t oval. It is a little different but I like it I did feel leas fatigue and the power stroke when climbing. I am now having the issues with my chain jumping between my 7th and 8th gears, also when on my 12th gear( smallest cog) I have a significant amount of chain slack. Wanted to bring that up here before I start messing with my derailleur or even remove a chain link. Anyone know what may be wrong now?

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006744
Mobile Version of Website