SB150 rattling noises

PB Forum :: Yeti
SB150 rattling noises
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 13, 2022 at 12:09 Quote
Hey folks. I recently noticed after quieting down my rear hub that my SB150 makes a rattling noise over high speed chatter and braking bumps. Now that I've noticed it, it's super annoying when I'm out on a nice quiet solo ride and I'd really like to fix it. Here's what I've tried so far.

- Wrapped all my cable housings and brake lines in soft felt tape at all of the entry & exit ports in the frame. No effect.
- Yeti customer service says the internal tubes in the frame are just barely larger in diameter than cables/housings so they shouldn't be able to rattle around inside the frame.
- Yeti also suggested that many mechanics may leave extra slack in the dropper cable when assembling the bike, which lets it slap around in the cavity at the base of the seat post just above the little access plate in the bottom of the frame. Checked mine and there's no slack. Might try wrapping that part of the housing in felt tape as well just for the hell of it.
- Occurred to me that maybe it's chain slap so I ordered an STFU damper. Hasn't arrived yet, will update the thread once it does and I can try it out.

Anyone else experience rattling noises on their SB1XX? Feel free to share your experience & noise hunting/fixing tips.

Posted: Jan 16, 2022 at 18:04 Quote
Can you feel the vibrations from the rattle? Any ideas where it may be coming from?

One of the linkage bolts on my 150 came loose and it was causing a terrible rattle. I could feel it though, which led me to take it apart and find the problem quite quickly. It was part numbers 300030298 and 300030151. The bolt that connect the shock extenders to the link.

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 13:32 Quote
Matt7082 wrote:
Can you feel the vibrations from the rattle? Any ideas where it may be coming from?

Nope, can't feel it. Sounds like it's coming from the rear half of the bike and I checked all my linkage hardware as recently as a month ago. Am due for greasing the infinity link though, so I may as well go through all that stuff once more to be extra sure.

I'm thinking of just taking one piece off the bike at a time, like the shift cable & housing first, rolling down a hill to check for noises, then rinse/repeat until either the noise stops or I have nothing on the bike other than wheels and a handlebar. Hopefully the noise stops before I get to the point of taking the brakes off lol

Posted: Jan 25, 2022 at 6:04 Quote
Had a similar rattle on on my sb150 and it was the bottle bouncing around. Solved it by getting a stiffer cage.

impossiblivion wrote:
Hey folks. I recently noticed after quieting down my rear hub that my SB150 makes a rattling noise over high speed chatter and braking bumps. Now that I've noticed it, it's super annoying when I'm out on a nice quiet solo ride and I'd really like to fix it. Here's what I've tried so far.

- Wrapped all my cable housings and brake lines in soft felt tape at all of the entry & exit ports in the frame. No effect.
- Yeti customer service says the internal tubes in the frame are just barely larger in diameter than cables/housings so they shouldn't be able to rattle around inside the frame.
- Yeti also suggested that many mechanics may leave extra slack in the dropper cable when assembling the bike, which lets it slap around in the cavity at the base of the seat post just above the little access plate in the bottom of the frame. Checked mine and there's no slack. Might try wrapping that part of the housing in felt tape as well just for the hell of it.
- Occurred to me that maybe it's chain slap so I ordered an STFU damper. Hasn't arrived yet, will update the thread once it does and I can try it out.

Anyone else experience rattling noises on their SB1XX? Feel free to share your experience & noise hunting/fixing tips.

Posted: Jan 25, 2022 at 6:17 Quote
impossiblivion wrote:
Matt7082 wrote:

Nope, can't feel it. Sounds like it's coming from the rear half of the bike and I checked all my linkage hardware as recently as a month ago. Am due for greasing the infinity link though, so I may as well go through all that stuff once more to be extra sure.

I'm thinking of just taking one piece off the bike at a time, like the shift cable & housing first, rolling down a hill to check for noises, then rinse/repeat until either the noise stops or I have nothing on the bike other than wheels and a handlebar. Hopefully the noise stops before I get to the point of taking the brakes off lol

My friend rides a Yeti and the infinity link was loose AF and he almost lost the hardware. It was rattling and got his attention.

Also, and this seems counter-intuitive, check to make sure the steerer isn't loose in the headset. I had a maddening noise in one of my bikes and it was driving me mad then I discovered that the fork was a little loose in the headset and it still blows my mind that it sounded like it was behind and below me.

Good luck.

Posted: Jan 30, 2022 at 13:37 Quote
What brakes are you running? Could it be rattling brake pads?

Posted: Feb 15, 2022 at 9:03 Quote
I have a 130LR and was having mad chain slap. Despite the chainstay protector, the chainslap was absolutely unbearable. At first I thought it was a mis-sized chain as I had stepped down in chainring size, but that was not it. I finally got an STFU silencer and it changed my life. I only get chain slap at the hardest impacts now. The chainslap was pretty bad in braking bumps, so this could potentially be your problem. See if the STFU fixes it.

Now I am chasing down another rattle that I suspect has to do with the XT finned pads in my new front caliper. Time to stretch the springs out I guess.

Posted: Mar 16, 2022 at 6:37 Quote
I had a rattle in mine was coming from the dropper post cable rattling in the frame near the bb and Si link.

Used to some jagwire foam tubes s was silent after. I went thru everything before I found out this was the cause.

https://www.amazon.com/Jagwire-ZSK600-Inner-Tubes-Unisex/dp/B07C32KBG9

Posted: Mar 23, 2022 at 23:56 Quote
impossiblivion wrote:

Did you ever get this figured out?

Posted: Apr 21, 2022 at 19:42 Quote
Ya, so I have a rear end rattle as well with my SB150. PITA. Brake bumps, chatter, sometimes G-outs and certain drops. Took me forever to figure it out.

Turns out while replacing all the bearings this fall and having the rear triangle removed and WITHOUT axle installed the rattle is a piece of loose material in the rear triangle. Happens during the carbon forming process from time to time, possible a piece of the bladder used during production.

Sadly I rattled it so much trying to figure it out the piece bedded somewhere. Guaranteed that when bike is built/ridden the rattle will come back. Kind of a bummer.

I'd love to think Yeti would take my word and warranty this, being that the front triangle is currently being warrantied for the second time due to the frame cracking issue.

Oh well....

Posted: Apr 21, 2022 at 20:13 Quote
jaime72 wrote:
Ya, so I have a rear end rattle as well with my SB150. PITA. Brake bumps, chatter, sometimes G-outs and certain drops. Took me forever to figure it out.

Turns out while replacing all the bearings this fall and having the rear triangle removed and WITHOUT axle installed the rattle is a piece of loose material in the rear triangle. Happens during the carbon forming process from time to time, possible a piece of the bladder used during production.

Sadly I rattled it so much trying to figure it out the piece bedded somewhere. Guaranteed that when bike is built/ridden the rattle will come back. Kind of a bummer.

I'd love to think Yeti would take my word and warranty this, being that the front triangle is currently being warrantied for the second time due to the frame cracking issue.

Oh well....

im awaiting my 3rd sb150 frame, Where is yours cracking?

Posted: Apr 21, 2022 at 20:45 Quote
HeatedRotor wrote:
jaime72 wrote:

Oh well....

im awaiting my 3rd sb150 frame, Where is yours cracking?

First "series" of cracks were all on the seat tube in the area of the infinity link. I think I had one on the downtube close to the BB.

This crack was on the underside of the downtube a bit below the headtube. I didn't look closely when I stripped the bike down for a rebuild in this area, focused on the seat tube. Only noticed when I went to replace the Ride Wrap sheet for the downtube. I mucked that piece up during install on the warranty #1 frame so it went unprotected.

Bummer is a) downtime and b) I keep spending all this money/time on Ride Wrap! Bugger.

Posted: Apr 21, 2022 at 23:51 Quote
crazy - My 2nd frame... I slapped a berm and you could hear the Cracking happen around the Infinity link.
For the price I understand you get "lifetime" but man the downtime sucks.

i bought an alloy sentinel v2 to ride in the downtime but i've already dented it after small crash.
Ive owned heaps of carbon bikes and yeti is the first lot of issues ive ran into after wrecking a heap of alloys from Cracking to denting.

friend has a canyon mullet that hes crashed heaps on and its mint as, maybe canyon got their carbon issues sorted on the new 21/22 range - decided to buy one anyway, so my sb150 will be for sale.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006537
Mobile Version of Website