Warranty for this?

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Warranty for this?
O+
Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 8:45 Quote
gmoss wrote:
sennaster wrote:
gmoss wrote:
Update: Heard from them today. Frame is being warrantied. I will have to source the shock, however. I am good with that since I would not want the RS anyway.

Being warrantied with what frame?

Hightower V2.

Nice ... whenever its all sorted out post up some comparisons. I am in central NC and have HTLT and TB3 but haven't ridden any of the newer low link SC bikes, but am very curious. I've often felt like i could have a do-it-all TB4 and not lose out on much, but 160/150 feels pretty nice in western NC.

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 8:47 Quote
gmoss wrote:
ah, ok. They have not offered that, yet. I may inquire, can always sell it. I hate Sram and RS so much that I would not take it at 25%. I am sure it would probably be fine, but it is hard to change 20 years of feelings. HAHAHA

I hear ya! I am a fox guy 100% but I was like 200 for a shock or 600 for a float x lol.

I still do what to give the float x a try at some point.

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 9:00 Quote
sennaster wrote:
gmoss wrote:
sennaster wrote:

Hightower V2.

Nice ... whenever its all sorted out post up some comparisons. I am in central NC and have HTLT and TB3 but haven't ridden any of the newer low link SC bikes, but am very curious. I've often felt like i could have a do-it-all TB4 and not lose out on much, but 160/150 feels pretty nice in western NC.

I had to warranty my HTLT as well. SC sent me a new 2022 HighTower frame. The v2 outperforms the HTLT in almost every way. Only draw backs I have found are 2 things.

Large for Large the V2 is not as nimble in techy tight trails. The v2 is longer and slacker so this makes sense. The high- speed stability makes up for this though. The V2 is impressive on the fast chunky downhills but feels big in the slow techy stuff.

HTLT has more of a lively feel to it. More poppy feeling as test riders would say. I found I liked the HTLT more for jump lines as the poppy feeling made it more fun. The v2 feels a bit more dead in the rear end. This is great for high- speed DH runs and tech but feels a bit dead on the jump lines.

The v2 is impressive thought. You can literally ride everything on it. I've done everything from basic single track riding all the way to hitting Fort Hill at Thunder Mountain (one of the biggest park jump lines on the east coast).

I do run my front fork at 160. I did this on both bikes.

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 9:03 Quote
sennaster wrote:
gmoss wrote:
sennaster wrote:

Hightower V2.

cool. I am in the same boat and just a little west of you. I also have a 17 HT and had an 18 TB. I have been contemplating a new bike and was set on replacing the HT with a Blur or new TB just to separate my 2 bikes a little more. I was on the fence about what to buy, replace because I could go TB and put the 150 fork on the HT and the 140 fork on the new TB, but now a decision was made for me. LOL I do like the extra travel in the mtns, but the 17 HT is capable enough to handle it, especially with a 150 on the front. I want a light bike to zip around on some of the more tame trails here, and the Blur harkens back to my 01 Superlight, which I still have. I will definitely give my thoughts on the HTLT vs new HT.

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 9:04 Quote
fourfourone wrote:
gmoss wrote:
ah, ok. They have not offered that, yet. I may inquire, can always sell it. I hate Sram and RS so much that I would not take it at 25%. I am sure it would probably be fine, but it is hard to change 20 years of feelings. HAHAHA

I hear ya! I am a fox guy 100% but I was like 200 for a shock or 600 for a float x lol.

I still do what to give the float x a try at some point.

Float X is what I am thinking, just need to verify it will fit.

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 9:08 Quote
fourfourone wrote:
sennaster wrote:
gmoss wrote:

Hightower V2.

I had to warranty my HTLT as well. SC sent me a new 2022 HighTower frame. The v2 outperforms the HTLT in almost every way. Only draw backs I have found are 2 things.

Large for Large the V2 is not as nimble in techy tight trails. The v2 is longer and slacker so this makes sense. The high- speed stability makes up for this though. The V2 is impressive on the fast chunky downhills but feels big in the slow techy stuff.

HTLT has more of a lively feel to it. More poppy feeling as test riders would say. I found I liked the HTLT more for jump lines as the poppy feeling made it more fun. The v2 feels a bit more dead in the rear end. This is great for high- speed DH runs and tech but feels a bit dead on the jump lines.

The v2 is impressive thought. You can literally ride everything on it. I've done everything from basic single track riding all the way to hitting Fort Hill at Thunder Mountain (one of the biggest park jump lines on the east coast).

I do run my front fork at 160. I did this on both bikes.

The trail vs enduro ride experience is a part of why I was going to keep my HTLT. Just luv the playfulness of it on the trail and it is still plenty capable going down anything I am willing to stay on the bike for. LOL Your experience is what I had read and figured based on the ergo comparison and why I was going to keep my bike.

Posted: Jan 24, 2022 at 22:54 Quote
fourfourone wrote:
gmoss wrote:
not sure what you mean by your first sentence. can you elaborate? Wink

They gave me 50% of retail on a rock shock super deluxe rear shock. I think I paid around $200.

I know people complained about the shock blowing through travel and having to run a ton of PSI. I know they updated some internals in 2021 but my rear shock feels great. I have yet to bottom the bike and i've hit some big features. I only run 20 psi over my weight and the big volume spacer.

I'm just saying if you can get a rock shock for half price, I wouldn't hesitate doing it.
Who gave you 50% for that, SC? I am going to warranty my frame, still thinking what to get, the Nomad V5 or Bronson MX, to replace my cracked Nomad V4. I was asking them if I can buy forks and shock from them, they replied NO.

Posted: Jan 25, 2022 at 1:05 Quote
DK00 wrote:
fourfourone wrote:
gmoss wrote:
not sure what you mean by your first sentence. can you elaborate? Wink

They gave me 50% of retail on a rock shock super deluxe rear shock. I think I paid around $200.

I know people complained about the shock blowing through travel and having to run a ton of PSI. I know they updated some internals in 2021 but my rear shock feels great. I have yet to bottom the bike and i've hit some big features. I only run 20 psi over my weight and the big volume spacer.

I'm just saying if you can get a rock shock for half price, I wouldn't hesitate doing it.
Who gave you 50% for that, SC? I am going to warranty my frame, still thinking what to get, the Nomad V5 or Bronson MX, to replace my cracked Nomad V4. I was asking them if I can buy forks and shock from them, they replied NO.

Don't expect anything fast if you ask for a Nomad. Mine V4 cracked last January (2021), still waiting on a V5 replacement. Initially it was going to come with a shock, they then said this wont happen till the end of this year, so it was reordered without the shock...they wouldnt help out sourcing one as there is no availability...also shock isnt covered by warranty anyway.

Posted: Jan 25, 2022 at 9:21 Quote
flymcg wrote:
DK00 wrote:
fourfourone wrote:

Don't expect anything fast if you ask for a Nomad. Mine V4 cracked last January (2021), still waiting on a V5 replacement. Initially it was going to come with a shock, they then said this wont happen till the end of this year, so it was reordered without the shock...they wouldnt help out sourcing one as there is no availability...also shock isnt covered by warranty anyway.
Yeah, didn't expect them to "give", will be nice if can buy one from them right. I wonder don't these manufacturers did some tune up for the shock to work best with their frames? If we get a shock aftermarket, we can only tune it up based on our own likes right? And you waited for the replacement for a year already???

Posted: Jan 25, 2022 at 12:10 Quote
When I did my warranty claim they offered me 50% off a super deluxe select plus or ultimate. I could pick either one, but they suggested to go with the select as they thought it was tuned perfectly to the bike (has no compression adjustment). He said it the ultimate is a bit more of a pain to set up and a few wrong clicks of adjustment here or there could make the rear end feel like crap. I only had these 2 options for shocks.

The frame I warrantied was a hightower LT so the shock size in completely different, so I was forced to buy a shock.

100% important to have any shock you buy tuned to the leverage curve of these new generation santa cruz bikes. People go out and spend 700 dollars on a rear shock and automatically think it makes the rear suspension perform better. Most the time they are blinded by the money they spent and "think" the bike rides better but in fact it doesn't.

Posted: Jan 25, 2022 at 13:21 Quote
fourfourone wrote:
When I did my warranty claim they offered me 50% off a super deluxe select plus or ultimate. I could pick either one, but they suggested to go with the select as they thought it was tuned perfectly to the bike (has no compression adjustment). He said it the ultimate is a bit more of a pain to set up and a few wrong clicks of adjustment here or there could make the rear end feel like crap. I only had these 2 options for shocks.

The frame I warrantied was a hightower LT so the shock size in completely different, so I was forced to buy a shock.

100% important to have any shock you buy tuned to the leverage curve of these new generation santa cruz bikes. People go out and spend 700 dollars on a rear shock and automatically think it makes the rear suspension perform better. Most the time they are blinded by the money they spent and "think" the bike rides better but in fact it doesn't.
Yes, I totally agree with you, that's why I would like to buy a properly tuned shock from them, but seems like they don't have this as an option any more, at least not for now I guess. I realize that my V4 Nomad has same shock size as the new Bronson, wonder if I can keep using that if I get Bronson, but could it be not right tune for the new frame? Getting a new warrantied frame is nice , but still so many headaches

Posted: Jan 25, 2022 at 15:31 Quote
They do not have the stock to do this now, or stopped altogether. I asked, said not an option, don't have any to sell.

Honestly, I have had shocks on my bikes that were tuned for other bikes, bought used, and once I got them tuned for my frame, diff was small.

I figure I will do just like I did for my current DPX2, run it till it is time to send in and let them tune it while servicing.

Posted: Jan 25, 2022 at 21:02 Quote
gmoss wrote:
They do not have the stock to do this now, or stopped altogether. I asked, said not an option, don't have any to sell.

Honestly, I have had shocks on my bikes that were tuned for other bikes, bought used, and once I got them tuned for my frame, diff was small.

I figure I will do just like I did for my current DPX2, run it till it is time to send in and let them tune it while servicing.
Yeah, I placed the order today and I tried to ask again about the shock, they just say they can't include it, I guess they just ruled out the option . They gave me the tune info of the shock for the frame tho, should be helpful I think .

O+
Posted: Jan 25, 2022 at 21:53 Quote
This is super random, and I hate to say this, but I think I'm the only one in the world who has had a bad warranty experience with SC. Everyone I've talked to, has said, "I took a few photos sent it in, and was on a new frame in less than 2 weeks."

Ps. Fox guy too, only run RockShox on XC bikes cause honestly the SID feels hella nice. I do run Sram AXS though...

Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 2:16 Quote
[/Quote]
Yeah, didn't expect them to "give", will be nice if can buy one from them right. I wonder don't these manufacturers did some tune up for the shock to work best with their frames? If we get a shock aftermarket, we can only tune it up based on our own likes right? And you waited for the replacement for a year already???[/Quote]

Yep, a year and 10 days....but who's counting! Fortunately I have an interim solution. Seems to be pot luck as to what turns up from SC to the distributor.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010742
Mobile Version of Website