I want a new Carbon DH frame, is $4000 too much for one made in China?

PB Forum :: Downhill
I want a new Carbon DH frame, is $4000 too much for one made in China?
Posted: Jan 20, 2022 at 19:42 Quote
Electronics prices have always trended downwards (over the long term). I first heard about this anomaly against inflation in the 90's, when we were buying PC's with ten times the power and a tenth of the price as were available several years prior. I think it all comes back to Moore's Law (a prediction that might be disproven not too long from now).

Posted: Jan 22, 2022 at 7:55 Quote
I am not sure if we have learned anything other than the prices of Electronics and TV's. However I do think that if the carbon frames were manufactured in the US it would cost considerable more than if made in Ghina.
I humble think that the price for one of these carbon frames would not be $4000, it would probably be $6000 if made in the USA.
In this case would it be worth for the WORKING man to buy such an expensive technology, with the direction of the DH frame market mostly have gone carbon?

Posted: Jan 24, 2022 at 19:12 Quote
Simple, people live buying TV's and bigger cheaper ones sell. That's how they get people to update.

Bikes on the other hand are purchased by mostly guys who want to be awesome but aren't. They want to be cool, but aren't. So bike companies make shiny new bikes with miniscule changes and high prices and advertise in a way that makes the insecure bikers want to buy them. They use lots of words that end in er. IE bigger faster stronger longer deeper, words that guys can connect with.

Anyway it's really quite effective & with the lockdown everyone bought new TV's, watched everything they could possibly watch and also got out of shape. After seeing some mountain bikers on YouTube and having a bunch of stimulus money laying around they all thought.. Hey I want to be cool and fit & they all bought bikes.

And some were made in China right next to the TV's. And the better ones were all made in Taiwan & that's why China wants to invade Taiwan.

The end

Posted: Jan 29, 2022 at 15:22 Quote
So is it worth paying the $4000 for a new carbon frame?

Posted: Jan 29, 2022 at 16:26 Quote
That’s only a question you can answer. But it looks like this question was merely a front for you to voice your uninformed opinions. That said, unprecedented demand for bikes would say yes. Do you see many $4000 frames in shops right now? No, because they’re all being bought

Posted: Jan 29, 2022 at 16:58 Quote
Buy an aluminum commencial supreme
Be done with it.
Ride great
Aluminum
Fantastic performance

Posted: Feb 2, 2022 at 22:13 Quote
I understand the appeal of carbon. Have owned many carbon bikes over the years. I remember a time when dh bikes were all aluminum though. Carbon was reserved for trail and xc bikes. Even now I struggle to understand the reason for a carbon dh frame. The weight difference is minimal, you wont be pedaling it uphill and chairlifts and shuttles and evene shipping is gonna beat the hell out of a carbon frame. Youll be pissed when the ghetto chairlift scratches you4k v10 frame. Aluminum dh bikes just make more sense to me. Also, i understand the appeal of made in usa, but the reality is carbon layup technology is just much better overseas. They have perfected the art of it in the last 10 years and I wouldnt doubt the quality of a china or taiwan frame from a reputable brand in 2022. Same some cash and go aluminum.

Posted: Feb 3, 2022 at 9:06 Quote
skibbe wrote:
I understand the appeal of carbon. Have owned many carbon bikes over the years. I remember a time when dh bikes were all aluminum though. Carbon was reserved for trail and xc bikes. Even now I struggle to understand the reason for a carbon dh frame. The weight difference is minimal, you wont be pedaling it uphill and chairlifts and shuttles and evene shipping is gonna beat the hell out of a carbon frame. Youll be pissed when the ghetto chairlift scratches you4k v10 frame. Aluminum dh bikes just make more sense to me. Also, i understand the appeal of made in usa, but the reality is carbon layup technology is just much better overseas. They have perfected the art of it in the last 10 years and I wouldnt doubt the quality of a china or taiwan frame from a reputable brand in 2022. Same some cash and go aluminum.

no its ceartainly not better overseas....
its just that you would have a hard time convincing carbon shops servicing the aerospace industry to lay up bike crap for any reasnoable price

Posted: Feb 3, 2022 at 20:21 Quote
I believe ENVE is laying up. However I think for this kinda money it should be made here.

Posted: Feb 3, 2022 at 22:10 Quote
Fifty50Grip wrote:
I believe ENVE is laying up. However I think for this kinda money it should be made here.

You're the most difficult kind of person to have a conversation with. This entire thread is obviously about your opinion that products selling for X dollars should be made in X country. Why even phrase it like a question? Just make the thread title "Bikes should be made in America." It's painfully obvious none of the answers you've received are going to sway your purchase decision. In fact, I doubt you're even considering purchasing a bike considering how little you know and how much you've made up about how bike manufacturing works

Posted: Feb 4, 2022 at 8:17 Quote
Fifty50Grip wrote:
So is it worth paying the $4000 for a new carbon frame?

No

Posted: Feb 4, 2022 at 9:34 Quote
For $4000.00 you can get 30 hockey sticks.

Posted: Feb 4, 2022 at 10:11 Quote
chrisclifford wrote:
Fifty50Grip wrote:

You're the most difficult kind of person to have a conversation with. This entire thread is obviously about your opinion that products selling for X dollars should be made in X country. Why even phrase it like a question? Just make the thread title "Bikes should be made in America." It's painfully obvious none of the answers you've received are going to sway your purchase decision. In fact, I doubt you're even considering purchasing a bike considering how little you know and how much you've made up about how bike manufacturing works
So If you must know, I do ask all sorts of questions if perhaps to sway my mind. I thank you guys for helping me make a decision. My mind said to me; you work so Fing hard to get that money, think 8 times before buying a product that does not come as a complete bike, some do not even come with a rear shock for that price, and for the kind of money probably only cost the company $400 or less to build and ship to THEM from Asia.

I have made up my mind 90% and that is yes I think is it worth it to ME getting new carbon frame for $4000 from a US company that chooses to stay competitive in the market. Its from an US company that is still helping US workers. I have thought about getting a YT but that seems to be unfair to all other competitors as they sell direct and is a German company that does not help US workers Also gave consideration to going Alu Commercial Supreme DH because that is such a fast bike but the feel of the bike is a bit jarring to an old body like mine. Also gave a final look at Niko's new bike but who knows when that will come out and it looks like an Athertons bike, but I not into the design and it reminds me of a Trek session but those designs all remind me of Subaru EJ25 motor(dinosaur tech). Also checked out the Mondraker Summum, Canyon Sender CFR, but getting help with warranty issues or customer service might be scary for me. Also thought of Scott Gambler(see comment on Trek).
I do still think we are being taking for a ride on the carbon weave. It is old technology now and should be more affordable. I do love the feel and infinite fatigue life of a carbon bike, ultimately this is the price I have to pay to play.

Posted: Feb 4, 2022 at 10:13 Quote
DJ-24 wrote:
For $4000.00 you can get 30 hockey sticks.
Or 20 Snowboards

Posted: Feb 4, 2022 at 10:58 Quote
Anyone who buys a carbon frame deserves all the headaches that are coming their way.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.007588
Mobile Version of Website