Convince me to get a Meta TR

PB Forum :: Commencal
Convince me to get a Meta TR
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 17, 2022 at 4:39 Quote
Hello everybody, I'm thinking about getting a Meta TR frame and build it with the parts from my current bike. I have a 140mm right now, would It work on the meta or would everything catch fire? How is bearing life? Any problems with the frame snapping? Coil or air? TIA!

Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 14:11 Quote
Without telling us what your current bike is, that's a tough question to answer. Check the following things, at the very least:
-Your hub spacing is the same (boost/ superboost, etc.)
-Compatible brake rotors (200/180 on the Commencal, I think.)
-Will your fork steerer tube be long/short enough? (Too long is OK, as you can trim it.) Come to think of it, are the upper/lower bearing races the same?
-Bottom bracket is compatible (press fit vs. threaded, size.)
-Shock length.
-Seatpost diameter

Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 14:15 Quote
get one

or we'll send the boys round to kneecap you.

O+
Posted: Jan 28, 2022 at 6:11 Quote
I have a '21 Meta TR and I love it. It's an amazingly capable bike; it really can do everything. I have the race build so it has the super deluxe coil ultimate and 160 lyrik ultimate. I will say that the rear end of the bike does feel a bit harsh in choppy sections of the trail but it's possible that I have it sprung a little too stiff. I would also like some more mid-stroke support while pedaling out of the saddle, but again that could be a shock tuning issue. I haven't run this bike with an air shock but I'd be interested in trying it. Overall, I'm really happy with the bike and I would definitely recommend it.

Posted: Jan 31, 2022 at 10:53 Quote
Falcon991 wrote:
Without telling us what your current bike is, that's a tough question to answer. Check the following things, at the very least:
-Will your fork steerer tube be long/short enough? (Too long is OK, as you can trim it.) Come to think of it, are the upper/lower bearing races the same?
-Shock length.
-Seatpost diameter
I carefully thought about that, I have an Occam, I would have to get a bottom bracket (currently on threaded BB, but I have raceface cranks with 30mm spindle, so should work), bigger rotors since minimum on meta is 200 mm diameter and I have 180, an headset and a dropper sleeve to fit my 31,6 dropper on the 34,9 meta's seat tube. The only thing I have doubts about is that the fork is a 140mm bomber z2, minimum on meta is 150mm, but I could fit a 150mm airshaft and call it a day. But since fork has been recently serviced, I was thinking about running it at 140mm till the next service, since meta is plenty slack, and the geometry shouldn't be compromised that much. Fancing a change from the Occam primarily because that thing eats bearing and I'm tired of creaks and waiting the bike at the shop(I'm lazy :'( ), and really curious about that long and slack geometry.

Posted: Jan 31, 2022 at 10:54 Quote
iffy wrote:
get one

or we'll send the boys round to kneecap you.
i don't know if the boys will be able to find the place where I live

Posted: Jan 31, 2022 at 10:58 Quote
Gene158 wrote:
I have a '21 Meta TR and I love it. It's an amazingly capable bike; it really can do everything. I have the race build so it has the super deluxe coil ultimate and 160 lyrik ultimate. I will say that the rear end of the bike does feel a bit harsh in choppy sections of the trail but it's possible that I have it sprung a little too stiff. I would also like some more mid-stroke support while pedaling out of the saddle, but again that could be a shock tuning issue. I haven't run this bike with an air shock but I'd be interested in trying it. Overall, I'm really happy with the bike and I would definitely recommend it.
thanks for the feedback! I'm fairly light, 68kg all kitted so air the head is saying air, but the the heart is screaming coil (never ridden a coil, really, really curious)

FL
Posted: Feb 1, 2022 at 2:13 Quote
Marcignano wrote:
Falcon991 wrote:
-Shock length.
-Seatpost diameter
I carefully thought about that, I have an Occam, I would have to get a bottom bracket (currently on threaded BB, but I have raceface cranks with 30mm spindle, so should work), bigger rotors since minimum on meta is 200 mm diameter and I have 180, an headset and a dropper sleeve to fit my 31,6 dropper on the 34,9 meta's seat tube. The only thing I have doubts about is that the fork is a 140mm bomber z2, minimum on meta is 150mm, but I could fit a 150mm airshaft and call it a day. But since fork has been recently serviced, I was thinking about running it at 140mm till the next service, since meta is plenty slack, and the geometry shouldn't be compromised that much. Fancing a change from the Occam primarily because that thing eats bearing and I'm tired of creaks and waiting the bike at the shop(I'm lazy :'( ), and really curious about that long and slack geometry.

A 10mm shorter axle-to-crown ratio isn't going to be the end of the world. It'll slacken your HTA by like 0.5° and slightly lower your BB. But you could also really just install the new air shaft yourself. You don't need a mechanic for that, it's super simple. If even I can do it, you can too

Posted: Feb 1, 2022 at 11:51 Quote
Muscovir wrote:
Marcignano wrote:
Falcon991 wrote:
-Shock length.
-Seatpost diameter

A 10mm shorter axle-to-crown ratio isn't going to be the end of the world. It'll slacken your HTA by like 0.5° and slightly lower your BB. But you could also really just install the new air shaft yourself. You don't need a mechanic for that, it's super simple. If even I can do it, you can too
Thank you, advices much appreciated Smile

Posted: Feb 1, 2022 at 14:46 Quote
fuk, since when has gooning around on push bikes been a science? lol

O+
Posted: Feb 2, 2022 at 7:03 Quote
iffy wrote:
Well they cost thousands of dollars so I think people have a right to be picky.

Posted: Feb 2, 2022 at 12:57 Quote
Gene158 wrote:
iffy wrote:
Well they cost thousands of dollars so I think people have a right to be picky.

yeah sure, but 98.74% of people could not tell the difference between 10 or 12mm of BB drop, won't even go into wether one is "better" than the other lol

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009692
Mobile Version of Website