Ultimate Beach fat bike

PB Forum :: Fat Bikes
Ultimate Beach fat bike
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 17, 2022 at 15:46 Quote
Bought a beach house last year and looking to build the ultimate Bech bike [fatty] to ride the beaches at Hilton Head.

Ideas ?

Posted: Jan 17, 2022 at 17:44 Quote
Are you building or buying a complete bike?
Why cycles makes a unique titanium frame; big iron. Has good wheel size options too.
If it’s just the beach the voytek is a nice frame too, has a small bb and axle spacing so you can’t run huge wheels and tires but you can still go big enough for sand. You can still squeeze a 27.5 x 4.0 on it. The benefit of the voytek is swapping 29+ wheels and you have a very narrow a factor for riding around town without the fatbike feel.

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 8:04 Quote
mark027 wrote:
Are you building or buying a complete bike?
Why cycles makes a unique titanium frame; big iron. Has good wheel size options too.
If it’s just the beach the voytek is a nice frame too, has a small bb and axle spacing so you can’t run huge wheels and tires but you can still go big enough for sand. You can still squeeze a 27.5 x 4.0 on it. The benefit of the voytek is swapping 29+ wheels and you have a very narrow a factor for riding around town without the fatbike feel.

I have a couple good trail and x-country rides, so less concerned about it being convertible to trails....Just looking for something to make it more than one season without rusting out. I could go build up or complete, but guessing you can buy stainless, carbon or aluminum components ?

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 10:07 Quote
I get it now, salt water sucks, that went over my head. I’d say is maybe keep it simple and go with a single speed. Single speed surly? Fatbike wheels are single wall so heads up if you go carbon or aluminum like hed wheels. Not meant for rough stuff.
Good luck.

O+
Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 8:58 Quote
We ride sand a lot, have a few thoughts. You want the most tire volume you can get so stay with the 197 rear spacing frames. Run 26x4.8 or 27.5x 4.5 tires. Tubeless 120tpi Jumbo Jim’s are hard to beat in the sand if you go with 26” wheels. As far as salt resistance, that isn’t something we ever deal with but a cheap to replace drivetrain seems like a good idea…

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008979
Mobile Version of Website