Wanna be Engineer searching for small inconveniences MTB riders face

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Wanna be Engineer searching for small inconveniences MTB riders face
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Message
Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 7:34 Quote
Hey! I'm a bit of a wannabe engineer and for a school project, we have to create a product that solves a problem. I wanted to do one for MTB but I can't seem to think of a problem that hasn't been solved. If you've got any drop them in here. Thanks!

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 7:51 Quote
CSU creak on suspension forks.

Go.

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 8:54 Quote
Premature failure of bearings in suspension linkages due to improper sizing.

Out of curiosity I calculated the force on one of the bearings and I was not surprised to find that at 50% travel the force exceeded the static load rating of the bearing. This was with an 180lb rider.


The static load rating for that particular bearing was 328lb.

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 9:00 Quote
Ethan-Baker wrote:
Hey! I'm a bit of a wannabe engineer and for a school project, we have to create a product that solves a problem. I wanted to do one for MTB but I can't seem to think of a problem that hasn't been solved. If you've got any drop them in here. Thanks!
a better internal cable routing tool, the park tool and jagwire ones both suck

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 9:11 Quote
huvudvind wrote:
Ethan-Baker wrote:
Hey! I'm a bit of a wannabe engineer and for a school project, we have to create a product that solves a problem. I wanted to do one for MTB but I can't seem to think of a problem that hasn't been solved. If you've got any drop them in here. Thanks!
a better internal cable routing tool, the park tool and jagwire ones both suck

What's wrong with the Park Tool one?

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 12:24 Quote
A bike lock that is inexpensive but also impervious to attack by cordless grinder (I know that then the thief just attacks the place the bike is locked to, but I'd ignore that for now).

P.S. a good problem definition becomes almost like a guiding light so consider mine just the start of an idea, keep asking why until you get down to the real problem.

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 12:55 Quote
JonnyTheWeasel wrote:
huvudvind wrote:
Ethan-Baker wrote:
Hey! I'm a bit of a wannabe engineer and for a school project, we have to create a product that solves a problem. I wanted to do one for MTB but I can't seem to think of a problem that hasn't been solved. If you've got any drop them in here. Thanks!
a better internal cable routing tool, the park tool and jagwire ones both suck

What's wrong with the Park Tool one?
it falls apart really fast and the magnet is too big to fit through smaller housing ports. dont get me wrong it is way better than no tool but I feel it has room for improvement.

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 13:01 Quote
A pruning saw that locks closed and mounts to a bottle cage mount like a minipump would. For trail maintenance.

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 13:30 Quote
What I've always wanted was a saddle with a rear light integrated into the back of it. The LEDs could follow the contours of the saddle (kinda like the brake lights on some modern cars that are the full width of the rear end) it would look a million times better than a crappy light held onto your seatube with an o ring, rattles around and can easily fall off. This would mean it was always on your bike should you need it. Perhaps could have a removeable battery to allow for easy charging if the bike can't be parked near a socket. Maybe not MTB specific but something I've always wanted as an MTBer that uses their bike to commute to school.

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 14:57 Quote
LeithB wrote:
What I've always wanted was a saddle with a rear light integrated into the back of it. The LEDs could follow the contours of the saddle (kinda like the brake lights on some modern cars that are the full width of the rear end)

There are many versions of that already: https://www.google.com/search?q=bike+seat+with+light&source=lnms&tbm=shop

Previous Page | Next Page

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006958
Mobile Version of Website