Comparison of the Trek Farley 5 and Giant Yukon 2

PB Forum :: Fat Bikes
Comparison of the Trek Farley 5 and Giant Yukon 2
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 18:38 Quote
I was in the unique position of owning both of these bikes for a little while and I thought people might be interested in how they compare if they are trying to decide between the two like I was. Spoiler: I ended up keeping the Farley and selling the Yukon. Read on to find out why!

I have the Farley in a medium and had the Yukon in a small. Oddly, the medium Farley feels a little smaller to me than the Yukon small. I rode the Yukon in a small and a medium and I had a hard time telling the difference! I decided to go with the small though because I liked how it fit a little better. I'm 5'8", by the way, and I like my bikes a little small. The weight of both bikes was almost identical at about 33 lbs.

The Farley costs a little more but you get a dropper post. Also, the tires are studdable, potentially saving you hundreds if you want to run studs. I bought a set of Dillinger 5 studded tires for the Yukon then put them on the Farley, so I didn't end up studding the stock Gnarwal tires though. Note: Size medium and small on the Trek come with 3.8" tires in the back but 4.5" tires will fit as long as the dropout is slid all the way back.

The Farley has a rear hub that has more teeth so it makes a higher frequency clicking sound when you're coasting. Maybe that's better, I don't know. The Yukon has more gears (12) then the Farley (10), but, to me, that's not necessarily better. I found myself frequently shifting two gears at a time on the Yukon so I kind of like just having to shift once on the Farley instead. I suppose I'm not able to fine-tune the gear ratio as much on the Farley though. One thing that that I miss about the Yukon sometimes (like on a steep hill) is that the lowest gear is lower than that of the Farley.

This is pretty intangible, but I like the geometry of the Farley frame better. It feels "sportier" and more fun to me. Something that's quantifiable though is that my calf would touch the Yukon's steatstay when standing up but it doesn't touch on the Farley, which is nice.

Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 13:12 Quote
Hey man that was a good read thanks. Hey I have a suggestion for your gearing on the Farley. Try a 28t on your crank for winter, most are 30 or 32t not sure what u have tho. You loose the top end but climbing in snow will be easier. You don’t need much mechanical skill, no derailer changing or anything.
I use a 28t wolftooth camo ring and spider on my xx1, wolftooth makes a good setup and it gives me a perfect chainline.

Posted: Jan 28, 2022 at 11:17 Quote
I sold my Farley 9.6 and bought a Yukon 1. Both size large

I "traded down" to the Yukon and bought a trail bike for summer use rather than running 29+ with a Fox 34 on the Farley.

The Farley was lighter (carbon) and had better components (GX 11 speed vs NX 12 speed)

The stock brakes & tires were a wash (Barbegazi vs Colossus). I ran studded Gnarwhals the last few years and added a dropper to the Farley.

The Farley has more reach, less stack, more XC feel than the Yukon, which feels more upright.

Even now, I think i preferred the Farley geo to the Yukon for some reason.

Posted: Feb 14, 2022 at 9:24 Quote
If the Giant still has a 28 spoke rear wheel, you cannot find a replacement hub that will work with that rim. Cheap hubs on fat bikes give lots of trouble because of the available traction and high torques at low speeds (think sand). If you get the Giant, just keep in mind that a blown hub means an entire new wheel assy.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005926
Mobile Version of Website