Should cushcore inserts rattle around?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Should cushcore inserts rattle around?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 18:47 Quote
Hello,

So I just purchased a set of rims and tires with cushcore inserts. I've never run cushcore before.

The front wheel seems to have a rattling feeling to it that feels as if the insert is loose on the inside.

Is that normal or to be expected? From the videos of the installation that I have seen I wouldn't expect it to be loose at all.

I don't have a ton of details since they're used. I do see the cushcore branded tubeless valves so I do believe they are the cushcore brand.

The wheels are Ibis S35 which are 35mm inner width.

I was hoping not to have to break down the wheels and tires if I didn't have to.

Thanks

Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 0:27 Quote
MoreGone wrote:
Hello,

So I just purchased a set of rims and tires with cushcore inserts. I've never run cushcore before.

The front wheel seems to have a rattling feeling to it that feels as if the insert is loose on the inside.

Is that normal or to be expected? From the videos of the installation that I have seen I wouldn't expect it to be loose at all.

I don't have a ton of details since they're used. I do see the cushcore branded tubeless valves so I do believe they are the cushcore brand.

The wheels are Ibis S35 which are 35mm inner width.

I was hoping not to have to break down the wheels and tires if I didn't have to.

Thanks

Definitely not. Part of their benefit is giving sidewall support. They usually lock the bead in pretty tight too. Cushcore's website rates the Pros for use up to 35mm. You need to check they're Pro's in there think.

Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 3:17 Quote
As above, Cushcore are very tight so shouldn't move. If you hear rattling, my guess would be it's big chucks of coagulated sealant rattling round in the tyre.

Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 8:42 Quote
Two things come to mind that can be what is rattling around inside your tire. As stated above, it is possibly a ball of dried sealant or it could also be that maybe the previous owner had a spoke nipple break and it is inside the rim rattling around.

Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 11:08 Quote
Cushcore doesn't rattle. Only if it's 29 on 27 rims.
Just remove rhe tyre and look what rattles, c'mon man..

Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 11:30 Quote
So after opening the wheels they have a Huck Norris in it.

Not sure I am going to try out the inserts or not.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.005921
Mobile Version of Website