Frustrated with my ‘22 Levo Comp Alloy

PB Forum :: eMTB
Frustrated with my ‘22 Levo Comp Alloy
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 21:50 Quote
As I write this, I’m waiting for Specialized Rider Care to get back to me. I love the bike and it’s a fantastic refinement over the previous generation in so many ways. However, I have two major gripes that I doubt are unique to me:

1. The S3-S6 frames are spec’d with 160mm Fox 36 forks, per the website and marketing materials. Mine came with a 150mm fork. That seems like a super obvious oversight. Yes, specs change but this is a first run bike—I bought it a week or less after it was available on Specialized’s website. Additionally, I think it’s pretty unlikely the fork would be spec’d down from 160 to 160 intentionally.

2. The battery was incredibly difficult to remove. And impossible to re-install. I can’t get it back in—the frame joint (where you can see the weld on the outside) has a hard/sharp edge that must have less than 1mm clearance for the battery. It’s so tight, that the battery is now gouged from my attempts to re-insert it. I’ve left it out pending further advice from Specialized. Anyone who knows Levo’s knows the batteries in the 2nd gen were relatively easy to remove/reinstall. And yes, they are made to be removed—avoiding cold weather storage being a key use case.

Anyone else experiencing these issues? I’m so disappointed because the bike has so much potential. #1 can be resolved with (hopefully) a damper swap but in any case can be resolved by Specialized honoring their marketing claims. #2 I have less confidence in finding a solution. Maybe this first batch of frames was manufactured with too tight of tolerances.

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 22:11 Quote
On a whim I turned the bike upside down (felt like I was a kid again wrenching on my bike without a proper stand) for more stability and to get a better feel for the batter. I was able to get it in but with more force than I would have liked. I’ll see what Rider Care has to say about it when they call me back. And we’ll see if they remedy the fork situation.

Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 6:13 Quote
That sounds awful. Let us know what happens.

Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 10:14 Quote
I think the issue with the battery is the extremely tight tolerances and the wire harness cable needs to be pushed aside slightly to get the battery in. So as you're pushing it in, you have to pull the battery toward the wire at the same time so it doesn't get pushed into that weld edge. They need to grind down that edge on the inside. I won't take the battery out much, if I can help it--but that depends on being able to store the bike (battery) in ideal conditions (below 73º per the manual). I have space now, but I don't always want to keep it in my house...

The fork spec is now my primary concern.

Posted: Jan 20, 2022 at 2:28 Quote
I have a battery issue on my 22 Expert. Did you remove the water bottle? I did and the water cage screws contact the battery when fully screwed in

Had some problems with mine which have taken me a few months to bottom down

I couldn't get the Slack headset to seat properly with the FSA bearings so had headset movement. I replaced the entire lot with Hope/Ritchey and all is well
Frame Rattles, narrowed down to the Float X2 stiction bumping the shit out of the frame (Currently in for Warranty), some internal routing rattles
Fox 38's - bushings messed up and grease in the negative (common), now running sweet.

Great bike, not overly impressed with the time its taken me to narrow down problems though

Posted: Jan 20, 2022 at 18:08 Quote
Thats crazy! An ebike battery should be user friendly as possible when removing for charging or battery replacement as needed.

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 6:21 Quote
Mike172 wrote:
I have a battery issue on my 22 Expert. Did you remove the water bottle? I did and the water cage screws contact the battery when fully screwed in

This sounds like a terrible, if not dangerous, design flaw.

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 18:27 Quote
I don’t have the water bottle issue with mine. The alloy version must be different enough. On mine, I figured out I have to pull the battery toward the wire harness to align things properly.

The shop got in contact with Specialized and is replacing the air spring on the Fox 36 at no cost to me so at least I’ll have that resolved.

Can’t wait to get this thing out on my local trails in the spring. I had it down south in S Utah last week but totally different trails than we have up north.

Posted: Feb 4, 2022 at 9:00 Quote
This is probably a stupid question, but how can you tell if the fork is a 150mm or 160mm? I just picked up a new 2022 Turbo Levo Comp Alloy yesterday, but I don't see any indication on the fork of what size it is. Thanks!

Posted: Feb 4, 2022 at 9:45 Quote
ADVRider1 wrote:
This is probably a stupid question, but how can you tell if the fork is a 150mm or 160mm? I just picked up a new 2022 Turbo Levo Comp Alloy yesterday, but I don't see any indication on the fork of what size it is. Thanks!

Not a stupid question.
I"m not a suspension expert, but the way it's normally measured:
Let the air out of your fork, push the stanchions all the way into the lowers. Wrap a zip-tie around one of the stanchions and let it rest on the lower seal as it moves up the stanchion (this is only necessary if you don't already have an o-ring on the stanchion). When the stanchions are fully seated into the lowers then make sure the zip-tie (or o-ring) stays at that spot on the stanchion. Now put the air back into the fork and let the lowers extend down the stanchions - keep the zip-tie (or o-ring) from sliding. When the lowers stop moving then measure from the seal on the top of the lower to the zip-tie (or the o-ring).
That's your full travel.
Good luck.

Posted: Feb 4, 2022 at 10:17 Quote
Thank you BenLow2019. I was just going to come here and post that I registered the fork on Fox website, and when I put my serial number in, it showed I have the 160mm. Good to know how to measure though, so thanks for that!

Posted: Feb 7, 2022 at 14:34 Quote
Apparently, the stupid thing is to assume that the fork spec’d on the bike actually comes with it. At any rate, the shop was able to swap out the air spring and bill it and the labor to Specialized.

Posted: Feb 8, 2022 at 14:03 Quote
Some more positive news. Specialized said they would send me out a new "battery expander" part. This is the piece where one of the rubber bushings was sheared off by the downtube at the joint.

Now all I need is for them to fix the cold weather and soaked trails.

Posted: Feb 10, 2022 at 11:47 Quote
Glad to hear you got it sorted. When i was checking out the Orbea E bikes the one i wanted came with the fox 38 but there was a note that said due to supply issues it could come with the 36 instead.

Posted: Feb 12, 2022 at 19:17 Quote
riptiderider wrote:
Glad to hear you got it sorted. When i was checking out the Orbea E bikes the one i wanted came with the fox 38 but there was a note that said due to supply issues it could come with the 36 instead.

I feel ya. The Levo Comp Alloy’s Fox 36 is flexy. It’s up to the job but the RS Domain I had on my previous Levo was noticeable stiffer.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005805
Mobile Version of Website