Higher End HT or mid-range Full Suspension - Guide Me

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Higher End HT or mid-range Full Suspension - Guide Me
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 6:57 Quote
Sup Fellow Shred Lords

Would love to have some wisdom imparted on me.

Looking to get a new rig and sort of stuck on the best option. Obviously it's a personal decision but looking for constructive feedback and discussion while I avoid doing work at my job.

Been researching for a bit and sort of stuck on best route to go. I live in southwest FL and we have some decent technical trails and I have been riding for a few years. I am looking for a do it all sort of bike that I can ride trail on but then something I can take to skatepark or on jump lines and pump track. DJ/slopestyle bikes are too small so looking for a tweener that can handle some of that plus trail.

I am targeting shorter wheelbase bikes with lower TT and plan on going a size down on frame to get me there.

For hardtails, I like the Commencal Meta (Race w/ Fox fork) & Giant Fathom (would upgrade over time).

For FS, looking at Fezzari Delano & Signal Peak, Giant Anthem & Trance, & Canyon Neuron

I know there are a million directions to go here. Like I said, just looking for constructive input.

Leaning towards a HT with better components but there is some good value at Fezzari, with the downside of having non-local warranty support.

Targeting $3k-ish for the budget.

Cheers.

Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 8:54 Quote
You are almost asking for one single bike to do too much.

Buy a cheap sub 1k dirt jumper and then buy a decent full suspension.

Riding tech trails and woods based jump lines suck on a hardtail. I tried it on my trek roscoe, and it just was not enough bike. I tried everything but at the end of the day it's much more fun and easier to go fast on a fully.

Go for the proper size bike if you go full suspension. Don't size down.

Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 10:22 Quote
Hardtail. It should handle anything in FL and will be much better on pumptracks than a FS. That said, any full size trail bike is terrible at pumptracks and skateparks compared to a DJ or BMX.

My advice would be to get a proper fitting $2-2.5k hardtail and a $500 BMX.

Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 12:59 Quote
From what I've seen from FL, a HT is plenty.

That said I'd look into what different types of bikes really do, just because you've compared XC bikes to Trail ones (Giant Anthem is XC, Trance is Trail). Figure out from there what would suit your riding better. Same applies to HT (both you mentioned are aggro trail bikes)

Forget doing skateparks on anything other than a BMX or DJ tho.

Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 13:19 Quote
fourfourone wrote:
You are almost asking for one single bike to do too much.

Buy a cheap sub 1k dirt jumper and then buy a decent full suspension.

Riding tech trails and woods based jump lines suck on a hardtail. I tried it on my trek roscoe, and it just was not enough bike. I tried everything but at the end of the day it's much more fun and easier to go fast on a fully.

Go for the proper size bike if you go full suspension. Don't size down.

Manifested a bike that already exists lmao. Not sure how I didn't come across it before.

https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/2022-san-quentin-3

Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 13:38 Quote
Leveq wrote:

That said I'd look into what different types of bikes really do, just because you've compared XC bikes to Trail ones (Giant Anthem is XC, Trance is Trail). Figure out from there what would suit your riding better. Same applies to HT (both you mentioned are aggro trail bikes)

What have you seen in FL?

Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 13:42 Quote
johnmitchell85 wrote:
Leveq wrote:

BC POV's mainly. Not much you guys can do when it comes to trails. I think its safe to say you wont be riding stuff like Diesel Wolf over there :')

Posted: Jan 20, 2022 at 6:55 Quote
Leveq wrote:
johnmitchell85 wrote:
Leveq wrote:

BC POV's mainly. Not much you guys can do when it comes to trails. I think its safe to say you wont be riding stuff like Diesel Wolf over there :')

Yeah I am not advocating that FL is a world class riding spot but there is some decent technical stuff. People I meet that come from out west are pleasantly surprised at the technicality of what limited options we do have.

Posted: Jan 20, 2022 at 13:39 Quote
johnmitchell85 wrote:
Leveq wrote:
johnmitchell85 wrote:

Yeah I am not advocating that FL is a world class riding spot but there is some decent technical stuff. People I meet that come from out west are pleasantly surprised at the technicality of what limited options we do have.

Even more of a reason to avoid a hardtail.,

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 12:17 Quote

A good hardtail will always outperform a cheap FS. The Commencal Meta is a nice Hardtail. I ride with a few guys who have them. We are in California and hit really steep Rocky Trails. IT will make you a much better rider, less maintenance and the Meta Race has some pretty nice components. less to upgrade over time.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006637
Mobile Version of Website