Policy/thoughts on sealed roads being added to trail map?

PB Forum :: Trailforks Feedback
Policy/thoughts on sealed roads being added to trail map?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 15:24 Quote
I’m a region admin, and have had a user submit a sealed road as a ‘access road or double track’ trail. It’s the road to the top of a mountain that has numerous trails and often forms part of a ride, but in my mind it shouldn’t be on the trail map as it’s just part of the formal road network.

Is there an official policy on this, or does the community have any thoughts on the best approach? I don’t like to reject legitimate submissions, but it feels misleading to have it as a trail.

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 9:23 Quote
As a member of the community I say reject it. Especially if it's a road, not a trail, and can be found on any standard map app already. I've seen trail additions in TF that are actually named streets - crazy to me, but I think I know why:

I am guilty of adding roads to TF so I could find them and use them to make routes easier in the app. I've grown up and am better at using my tools now so I discourage the practice as a general rule.

Hope that helps.

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 18:08 Quote
That does, thanks. I think the option for ‘Road’ as a type of bike may make people think that road routes should be on the map, but in my mind that more for bike paths and other sealed paths.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005655
Mobile Version of Website