Fork Steerer Dimensions - I need your help :)

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Fork Steerer Dimensions - I need your help :)
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 20, 2022 at 7:01 Quote
Thank you to anyone that can lend a hand.

I’m looking for dimensions of the lower fork steerer tube for the major suspension forks. The outside tapered tube is a standard dimension however due to wall thickness and material the INSIDE DIA (ID) varies a lot. If anyone can provide the inside diameter of their fork at the lower fork crown opening that would be much appreciated. In the reply please provide the specific fork model/variation and the measurement (inches or mm).

Note: in the case of an ovalized tube (Fox3Cool please provide the max & min.

I’ve asked both Sram and Fox and not surprisingly they declined. I’m hoping the community to help me out.

Primary interest are;
Fox32
Fox34
Fox36
Fox38
Yari
Lyrik
Pike
Zeb

Posted: Jan 20, 2022 at 7:16 Quote
Whats the reason for wanting all the info ?
Is it only 1.5" tapered steerers as theres straight 1 1/8th and other sizes

Posted: Jan 20, 2022 at 7:29 Quote
Part fitment. Straight 1-1/8” steerers are pretty much all the same. The tapered ones are not.

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 8:04 Quote
Gti5notrkt wrote:
Part fitment. Straight 1-1/8” steerers are pretty much all the same. The tapered ones are not.

Just curious, because I am pretty dim and don't know much if anything, what part are you attempting to fit into the inside of the lower end of a tapered steerer?

Is this some research project or new component idea? I ask because on all my bikes that's just a hollow place with nothing in it at all and I guess it's just an empty hole that's begging to have something jammed into it. What are you thinking of doing?

Posted: Jan 22, 2022 at 23:56 Quote
Gti5notrkt wrote:
Thank you to anyone that can lend a hand.

I’m looking for dimensions of the lower fork steerer tube for the major suspension forks. The outside tapered tube is a standard dimension however due to wall thickness and material the INSIDE DIA (ID) varies a lot. If anyone can provide the inside diameter of their fork at the lower fork crown opening that would be much appreciated. In the reply please provide the specific fork model/variation and the measurement (inches or mm).

Note: in the case of an ovalized tube (Fox3Cool please provide the max & min.

I’ve asked both Sram and Fox and not surprisingly they declined. I’m hoping the community to help me out.

Primary interest are;
Fox32
Fox34
Fox36
Fox38
Yari
Lyrik
Pike
Zeb

Why don't you ask ND Tuned? They make steerers for all these forks.

Posted: Jan 24, 2022 at 6:09 Quote
1998 PACE RC36 Evo 2 100 straight 1 1/8th - 22mm ID Smile
2004 Marzocchi Marathon SL ETA 100 1 1/8th - 22.50mm ID Smile
2005 Fox 36 VAN RC2 160 straight 1 1/8th - 15mm ID
2005 Fox 32 32 VAN RLC 130 straight 1 1/8th - 20mm ID
2005 Fox 32 Float 100 straight 1 1/8th - 20mm ID
2011 fOX 36 VAN R 180 1.5" - 32mm ID
2014 Fox 32 FIT CTD 140 1.5" - 34mm ID
2016 Fox 34 FIT CTD 150 1.5" - 32.50mm ID

Posted: Jan 24, 2022 at 11:43 Quote
"Why don't you ask ND Tuned? They make steerers for all these forks."

Its not like us pinkbikers cant muck in and take the time to measure our fork and
help out from time to time, I mean we spend more time showing off our bikes with
picture after picture after picture.

OP did ask Sram and Fox and they declined, cant be many companys that would take the time
to help out for nothing in return. Considering the traffic numbers on here you would think the
OP's request would be answered before the weeks out ?

Posted: Jan 24, 2022 at 21:10 Quote
The measurement for my Revelations weren't on the primary interest list and for now the hole is full of dried out crud.

Maybe sharing the specific reason as to why that particular measurement is needed would have prompted Fox, Sram or more users to go to the trouble of checking? 2 cents

Posted: Jan 25, 2022 at 8:16 Quote
Reaperactual wrote:
The measurement for my Revelations weren't on the primary interest list and for now the hole is full of dried out crud.

Maybe sharing the specific reason as to why that particular measurement is needed would have prompted Fox, Sram or more users to go to the trouble of checking? 2 cents

This tbh. I only ask NDTuned because they're suspension techs, they probably have a database of what fits what and which forks have which sizes Smile

Posted: Jan 25, 2022 at 9:32 Quote
Stands to reason we all wanna know what its for, I did ask and got part fitment, guess they keeping
it close to there chest, patent copyright an all : ) but certainly agree, more would be inclined to
take the time to pull the bike of the rack remove the bloody wheel and find the calipers to measure,
perhaps the OP will pay us in kind with more details, nudge nudge.

Ive stuffed modified empty paslode nail gun gas canisters up the steerers for storage,
they fit nicely in 1.5" taperered.

To prevent dirt up there, hole punch a bit of sleep mat, double it up and stick up there
to prevent mud build up. Old hole saws can be sharpened, remove the teeth 1st, they
can be hammered into soft materials to make perfect discs.

Posted: Jan 25, 2022 at 22:25 Quote
I'll probably provide a tapered Revelations measurement soon.

Nice one @muddytreker, suppose I do need to fill that cavity with something besides mud or at least block it off until the OP's top secret invention hits the market. Beer

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.005853
Mobile Version of Website