Cleaning carbon seat tube

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Cleaning carbon seat tube
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 20, 2022 at 13:29 Quote
I’ve finally managed to remove a very stuck dropper post from my carbon Whyte frame this evening. It took many days of being soaked in ACF-50 put in from the BB and a lot of patience. Now that I have removed the seat post; I have ordered a new dropper, however the seat tube really needs to be cleaned out as I think there will be a lot of corrosion in there. Has anybody got any tips for this please?

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 18:00 Quote
I’ve never really cleaned inside a seat tube on my bikes but I’d think a wooden dowel with anything wrapped around would suffice. Like reaming it in and out then maybe compressed air?
That’s how you can sand a seat tube in aluminum for a carbon seatpost but with light sandpaper.
Not sure if I understood you right but maybe this helps

Posted: Jan 24, 2022 at 12:04 Quote
@mark027 your right enough with a dowel wrapped.

Ive used undersized seat posts, double sided sticky tape to hold scouring pads to seatpost
and basically push pull rotate action, add cleaning fluids and the like.

Done this with Steel and Alloy frames, you can stick sand papers, wire wool and abrasive,
non abrasives, all sorts to a smaller sized seat post, or any such round rod, tube etc

Ive no experiance with carbon seat tubes, but I would imagine the forementioned method
and just find something thats sympathetic to carbon.

Perhaps poke a small maglite in there to get an eyeball of what its like and frequently check
the progress as you go.

Posted: Jan 24, 2022 at 17:50 Quote
I got no experience doing that in a carbon frame either. I agree with you, I Probly wouldn’t do the sandpaper thing but I thought maybe something less abrasive.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006170
Mobile Version of Website