Fox X2 on 2021 Stumpjumper Alloy

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Fox X2 on 2021 Stumpjumper Alloy
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 20, 2022 at 20:00 Quote
Been trying to upgrade my shock on my 2021 Stumpy Alloy for a while but everything I want sized 190 x 45 is on backorder until July. I read on another forum that someone fit a 210 x 50 X2 on their Stumpy Alloy with no problems.... so I got one. I installed it and at full length (without me sitting on it), the yoke rests on the seat post. As I take it through compression, the air can just barely rubs on the frame and then clears the rest of the travel. Looks like it might just rub part of the Fox decal off and then just barely clear also. The question is do I even keep it? Is this going to be a thing that is gonna cause more damage as I go or should it be fine? I know it changes the geometry and all that but right now I just care about totally wrecking the shock. Thanks!

Posted: Jan 20, 2022 at 20:49 Quote
Sell it....

The forum post was probably about the last gen SJ alloy which used a 210 x 50mm shock, the guy probably posted it to say the air can clears.

You say you don't care about the geo change but a 20mm longer eye to eye is gonna give you a ~5 degree steeper head angle. Not to mention totally ruin the suspension kinematics

Also the X2 is a really high maintenance shock, and they will deny you warranty service unless you lie about the bike its on

Posted: Jan 20, 2022 at 21:55 Quote
lyzyrdskydr wrote:
Sell it....

The forum post was probably about the last gen SJ alloy which used a 210 x 50mm shock, the guy probably posted it to say the air can clears.

You say you don't care about the geo change but a 20mm longer eye to eye is gonna give you a ~5 degree steeper head angle. Not to mention totally ruin the suspension kinematics

Also the X2 is a really high maintenance shock, and they will deny you warranty service unless you lie about the bike its on

Yeah, the bike will most likely feel like a completely different bike due to the changed suspension kinematics. Additional your geometry was most likely affected in a very negative way, raising the BB, steepening the HTA, making it so the bike will ride all wonky, weird, and lack stability. Remember the current Stumpys are very different from the previous one. They reduced the travel, ditched the horst link, and made a bunch of different changes. I would definitely sell it, or return it if you still can. This will also probably void your warranty with specialized if any damage is caused to the frame as well. So if you ride with this setup, you will probably void the warranty for both the shock and frame. The only other idea, I have is... actually I don't even want to say it cause it won't fix the problem all the way.

Posted: Jan 20, 2022 at 22:08 Quote
Kidklayko wrote:
lyzyrdskydr wrote:
Sell it....

Yeah, the bike will most likely feel like a completely different bike due to the changed suspension kinematics. Additional your geometry was most likely affected in a very negative way, raising the BB, steepening the HTA, making it so the bike will ride all wonky, weird, and lack stability. Remember the current Stumpys are very different from the previous one. They reduced the travel, ditched the horst link, and made a bunch of different changes. I would definitely sell it, or return it if you still can. This will also probably void your warranty with specialized if any damage is caused to the frame as well. So if you ride with this setup, you will probably void the warranty for both the shock and frame. The only other idea, I have is... actually I don't even want to say it cause it won't fix the problem all the way.

I'll probably just return it. It only came in the mail today. So hard to get any shocks right now so was really hoping this would work even though I knew it'd be a shot in the dark. Thanks guys.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.004759
Mobile Version of Website