Bike protection while driving (rear rack)

PB Forum :: Fat Bikes
Bike protection while driving (rear rack)
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 22, 2022 at 7:04 Quote
Does anyone have any recommendations for protecting a fat bike during travel while it's on a rack on the back?
(We will have two bikes and a lot of gear and a smaller car so they won't fit in the car).
Muc-off makes disc brake covers which will work but does anyone have any solutions for protecting the drivetrain?
We are traveling from MA to NH so just concerned about the road salt that could get into the drivetrain if the road conditions are poor.

I tried searching but the search function on this forum seems pretty bad.. I also may suck at searching.

Thanks!

Posted: Feb 23, 2022 at 16:20 Quote
kasselma wrote:
Does anyone have any recommendations for protecting a fat bike during travel while it's on a rack on the back?
(We will have two bikes and a lot of gear and a smaller car so they won't fit in the car).
Muc-off makes disc brake covers which will work but does anyone have any solutions for protecting the drivetrain?
We are traveling from MA to NH so just concerned about the road salt that could get into the drivetrain if the road conditions are poor.

I tried searching but the search function on this forum seems pretty bad.. I also may suck at searching.

Thanks!

The lack of responses is sort of indicative of the lack of actual answers. There are a few bike covers out there but they are either EXPENSIVE or don't let brake lights show through. I'll let the idea out of the bag, someone needs to invent a fabric sheet (heat resistant) that runs underneath the rack between the most distant bike and the back of the car. Splash up seems to be the worst issue. it would eliminate most splash from rising any further than the rack. Exhaust heat would be an issue so kevlar would likely be needed. Or get a pickup.

Posted: Feb 24, 2022 at 14:02 Quote
I think the best solution for hauling on a hitch rack is to bag the whole bike(s) and put taillights on your rack plugged into the trailer light plugin.

I haul my bikes over the tailgate of a pickup and have ruined brake pads from the mag chloride de-icer on roads. I use a trash bag over the front wheel now. The fog coming off your front tires comes around the back of the car and gets anything on the hitch wet.

Posted: Feb 26, 2022 at 7:36 Quote
I bought a bike cover from Amazon was cheap around $25 using it with my fat bike on a Thule xt2 rack. I put it on after bike is clamped down and there is two straps that secure it. It covers the whole bike no problem,

Posted: Feb 26, 2022 at 7:39 Quote
I bought a bike cover from Amazon was cheap around $25 using it with my fat bike on a Thule xt2 rack. I put it on after bike is clamped down and there is two straps that secure it. It covers the whole bike no problem,

Posted: Feb 26, 2022 at 8:09 Quote
I bought a large ATV cover from princess auto. It easily covers 2 bikes on the hitch rack on the back of my RV.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006456
Mobile Version of Website