Factory / Ideal Mullet Bikes

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Factory / Ideal Mullet Bikes
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 24, 2022 at 0:30 Quote
So, my GF has got mullet fever. She tried a new Bronson and absolutely loved it. This started a search for mullet bikes. So far the list is:

SC Bronson / Roubion
Transition Patrol
Forbidden with Ziggy link
Maybe a Pivot Switchblade?
Nukeproof Mega/Giga

Something like:

420-435 reach
400 or less seat post
430 ish cs
160 ish travel
64 ish HA

Budget is not a huge issue as it's likely any bike is going to take several months.

Where we live the trails are steep and techy, the climbs are long and mostly fire road.

Are there any other factory mullets we've missed, or bikes that particularly lend themselves to the small back wheel?

Posted: Jan 24, 2022 at 0:37 Quote
Depends if you're avoiding a direct sales brand or not but Canyon, Propain and Commencal all do solid options. Personally, I also have mullet fever and went with a Patrol GX and I adore it. The various lengths and angles are perfect for me. I found the Bronson front end to be too high, that was the only other one I tried.

When I went to the bike shop to sit on a few, I was looking at a Mega/Giga, Dreadnaught (Druid's bigger sibling) and a Spire - so all 29ers. The guy in the shop asked me if I wanted to go fast or have fun, I replied the latter and that's how I ended up with a mullet. The Druid would most likely ride differently to the others with its high pivot, other than that I guess just test whatever you can and work out her ideal numbers.

She won't go wrong with any of those bikes!

Posted: Jan 24, 2022 at 4:18 Quote
Why not any "likeable" 27.5 bike + upgrade with 29 fork ?

Posted: Jan 24, 2022 at 4:43 Quote
Specialized Status (if you can get one)
Commencal now do the Meta SX?
Nukeproof now sell mullet giga/mega and a kit to convert 2021 mega/giga 290 to mullet

Also look at Cascade and WRP, make links or other bits to convert full 29 to mullet.

Posted: Jan 24, 2022 at 5:07 Quote
Status is a very good shout actually. She has an EXT Storia that would fit and Brink even have them in stock.

In terms of sticking a 29 fork on a 27.5 bike. Generally, I think it works better the other way round. That's exactly what she would do, but I don't think her current bike would work too well. Even if we reduced the fork 20mm it would still be a lot higher at the front and given that it's already a shade over 63 degrees, she doesn't want to slacken it any further. I'm sure there are 27.5 bikes with geo that would work though.

Posted: Jan 24, 2022 at 6:16 Quote
Starling Twist. Then you guys could match.

Posted: Jan 24, 2022 at 6:29 Quote
lookseasyfromhere wrote:
Starling Twist. Then you guys could match.

Joe has already had quite enough money from us! Also, he doesn't make a small Twist.

Posted: Jan 24, 2022 at 6:54 Quote
militantmandy wrote:

In terms of sticking a 29 fork on a 27.5 bike. Generally, I think it works better the other way round. .
Nope. The only 'right' way to do it - making a mullet from 27.5 bike + 29 fork!
If you doing it with 29 bike - you're lowering your BB too much. It's already as low as possible in stock geometry, so - or going up or nothing.

Posted: Jan 24, 2022 at 7:02 Quote
[Quote="ka81"]
militantmandy wrote:
If you doing it with 29 bike - you're lowering your BB too much. It's already as low as possible in stock geometry, so - or going up or nothing.

This is a bit of a nonsense statement, since it depends totally on how high your BB is in the first place and whether or not you increase the travel of your fork. There are many people (myself included) who have run 29ers as mullets with no issues of BB height.

Thanks for the video though, I'll check it out.

Posted: Jan 24, 2022 at 7:26 Quote
If you put 27.5 wheel into 29ner bike, will bb come lower ?!
No issues - well, maybe new height of lowered bb isn't an issue for noe but anyway - it became lower, that's a fact. And maybe, just maybe, there will be some situation where it will cause pedal strikes or else..

Posted: Jan 24, 2022 at 7:37 Quote
ka81 wrote:
If you put 27.5 wheel into 29ner bike, will bb come lower ?!
No issues - well, maybe new height of lowered bb isn't an issue for noe but anyway - it became lower, that's a fact. And maybe, just maybe, there will be some situation where it will cause pedal strikes or else..

Yes, absolutely it will get lower (around 8-10mm for me). This brought my BB height to around 335mm. Low, yes, but not crazy. Totally depends on the bike though.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005720
Mobile Version of Website